Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Truggy for racing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What do your buddies have? Might be the way to go since you can compare setup, have the same parts etc. I personally have raced the RC8T and now have the MBX6T. Both great trucks.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Asking a question like that on an online forum will only get you a lot of bias opinions. Go to your shop/track and get some hands on experience and get what fits you/your wallet best and is easy to service and get parts for.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You'll see a lot of "fanbois" on here basically telling you "brand x is the best I drive one nothing else is as good..." and then a few honest folks who are giving you good information.

** fanboi mode on **
I personally like my Xray. It is best FOR ME due to low drivetrain wear and overall durability. In the hands of a top driver it is a top competitor.
** fanboi mode off **

(See how that works?)

In the hands of someone like me it is slow and wrecks a lot.

Any of the "name brands" listed will be competitive with the right driver. And they'll all be slow with a less skilled driver.

A good thing to look for is local parts support. I don't have a shop that stocks parts that is convenient to me... so I keep more spares than I would if I ran something with local parts support.

That raises your initial cost of course... having to buy a stock of spares.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its all trial & error i startes with a jammin crt x1 to the x2 ....x2 kept blowing diffs and steering was lacking..i switch to losi and it fits my driving style ...i drove the mbx6t and the is bannanas but im satisfied w/ $600++++++++ investment(include screws, bearings,minor upgrades) lol.. plus lhs is losi parts god they keep em' stock
Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I like my losi. That's putting it mildly.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I to like the losi. Lots of people run them at the local tracks and local shops stock parts. That sure makes getting into it a bit easier.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I switched from a Losi 8T 1.0 to a Mugen MBX6T last summer and I was in rc heaven on the track with it! I also drove a Losi 8T 2.0 last weekend and it's smooth as well. I think my MBX6T is a bit more agressive than the Losi 8T 2.0 I drove but it could the different set ups.

Long story short! Get any of the newer generation Truggies and you'll do fine. I wouldn't overlook the Hotbodies D8T either... Great bang for your buck.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Torian4000
I switched from a Losi 8T 1.0 to a Mugen MBX6T last summer and I was in rc heaven on the track with it! I also drove a Losi 8T 2.0 last weekend and it's smooth as well. I think my MBX6T is a bit more agressive than the Losi 8T 2.0 I drove but it could the different set ups.

Long story short! Get any of the newer generation Truggies and you'll do fine. I wouldn't overlook the Hotbodies D8T either... Great bang for your buck.
See, I felt the exact opposite way after driving a buddy's MBX6T for a couple of tanks. I felt my losi truck was much more aggressive, had more steering and could be driven harder. I think you're right about setups.

I also agree that most of the newer truggies are pretty equal. My top 4 would be Losi, Mugen, Hotbodies and AE. In that order.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

it also depends on what you want to do

do you want to build it?
do you want to buy a roller?
do you have a motor beacause that makes a big difference?
what type of servos?
what type of fuel?
can you tune it?

and lots more other stuff

or do you want a rtr?
so what would be the best rtr out of the box?

but it really all come down to how well you can drive?
so take your time and then decide. cause only your dicission matters.
and most of all have fun

good luck
Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I have an 8T 2.0 RTR - or I should say "had". Over the past year, I have replaced all RTR parts with Race Roller parts and had a blast doing it. I became a better driver because I was able to see the effects of each upgrade. The RTR package is awesome b/c it comes with everything. However, I believe Losi is doing a 150$ rebate on the 2.0T race roller until the end of the month.

At my track, I am one of two 8T 2.0's. There is also a good representation of the trucks from the list that has been floated around. Which truck is the best? Depends on who is driving it. The local pro's can take any truck and dominate with it.

Good luck with your decision, but as long as you are racing something, you can't go wrong.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Parts Availability

I would go with a truggy with parts available on your area, you can't practice or race if your truck is waiting for parts
Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nukem
I would go with a truggy with parts available on your area, you can't practice or race if your truck is waiting for parts
I agree 100%.
Thats one of the main reasons i went with the losi 8ight t 2, plus with losi offering a $150 rebate(a $150 check!) if purchased before the end of this month. With that, it puts the price tag in the mid to upper $400s
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

All the trucks mentioned are GREAT trucks. Ive seen every one of them on the track every now and then. and in the hands of the right driver they look and handle amazingly. I race the D8T. i switched from the losi 8B. Ive drivin my Brothers losi 8T and I thinks the HB had better steering and Flys better. But His losi has better stability coming out of the corners but the HB turns tighter to me. But almost everybit of that can be changed with the right set up on the hudy board. The only negative thing i have on the HB is the is the Parts availbilty at hobby shops. But Hotbosies USA has GREAT custommer service. My dad has Broken a shock tower and wing mount on his buggy. He sent an e-mail, sent the parts out, and they send you new updated ones for no charge(if you have the older style).The new ones are stronger. But if you brake the updated ones, send an email and they send you new ones. But like everybody else has said It all depends on your driving style. So good luck and I hope you pick the right one for you.

Shaun.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm thinking about a Losi

and ditchin nitro for some kick butt brushless system
Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Parts! Parts! Parts! I always choose my vehicles based on parts availability. It just so turns out that Losi's have good parts support everywhere I race. I love my Losi's but if parts were not available I would be driving something else. I do like Losi though, a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.