R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Best air filter oil? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/391231-best-air-filter-oil.html)

heidmann1 04-20-2010 07:57 PM

Best air filter oil?

Hey guys, I have been using the same brand filter oil for 7 years and I just Wandered your opinions on what you like best? I clean and re-use my filters so I am trying to find something Tacky, but that will still clean up fairly easy.

I dont know if the formula changed or what but the blue kyosho oil is not sticky at all. Its just like regular oil. And for my dusty tacks its not gonna work:( My filter after a few runs last week showed signs of it getting thru to the inside of the filter, and yes it was oiled plenty.They came out with a new green tacky oil, also I See mugen oil is supposed to be real tacky. BUt the question is finding one thats at least fairly tacky and washable..

Thanks guys!!

bigmatt 04-20-2010 08:02 PM

I use k/n air filter oil. wash with soap and water,keeps all the small crap out. I tried some others that were tacky as you say, but just clgged up on me in dusty conditions.

steve307b 04-20-2010 08:04 PM

NO TOIL cleaner and oil from the MX shops. Works great

Dlewis4 04-20-2010 08:07 PM

I am using KalGard's.... its awesome.

JAMMINKRAZY 04-20-2010 08:12 PM

Mugen oil is really good. It has some sort of carrier in it. Like an alcohol based carrier or something that evaporates after you work it into the filter. This allows the oil to be nice and thin when you are applying it so it soaks in well. Then it gets sticky after the carrier evaporates. It is NOT easily washable though. I have heard rock oil (sold by TKO) is good oil and is also washable.

I personally don't have the patience anymore to reuse my filters. I just buy pre-oiled filters and toss them when they're done.:nod:

heidmann1 04-20-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dlewis4 (Post 7298687)
I am using KalGard's.... its awesome.

I have not tried the Kal-Gard foam filter oil yet. Is it tacky ?

thenova70ss 04-20-2010 08:17 PM

Ron of Cold Fusion makes Air Filter oil that works GREAT i love the stuff.You can talk to him on the Cold Fusion Power House Thread.

heidmann1 04-20-2010 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 7298715)
Mugen oil is really good. It has some sort of carrier in it. Like an alcohol based carrier or something that evaporates after you work it into the filter. This allows the oil to be nice and thin when you are applying it so it soaks in well. Then it gets sticky after the carrier evaporates. It is NOT easily washable though. I have heard rock oil (sold by TKO) is good oil and is also washable.

I personally don't have the patience anymore to reuse my filters. I just buy pre-oiled filters and toss them when they're done.:nod:

Thanks for letting me know about the mugen oil. That wont work for me then. If it hard to clean up.

JAMMINKRAZY 04-20-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by heidmann1 (Post 7298733)
Thanks for letting me know about the mugen oil. That wont work for me then. If it hard to clean up.

Yeah it's a pain in the A$$ to clean out. Trust me I have been down that road before and it either ended with the filters in the trash or me going at them with solvents. On that note, Naptha will clean out the Mugen oil. Not sure how good it is for the filter, but it sure cleans the oil out well.:D

jbright33 04-20-2010 08:26 PM

heidmann y not switch to losi cage or proline there way better and cheaper then the hb and then go lucky7rc.com and buy preoiled filters way cheaper then the hb. You can buy 16 losi preoiled for 31.50 thats not even 2 bucks a filter hb is like 4 bucks and not as good. you can also contact joe alessi jpalessi he is the man to talk to lol

Jaz240 04-20-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by heidmann1 (Post 7298725)
I have not tried the Kal-Gard foam filter oil yet. Is it tacky ?

Kalgard Oil is the bomb! it sprays on thin so you can work it in. and then it gets tacky. It does not clean off easy with soap and water, you need either the kalgard filter oil cleaner or Non Chlorinated Brake cleaner,(walmart $2.50)

butch man 04-20-2010 08:31 PM

My favorite has always been motorex 206. It feels like the balance of goes on thin & easy to work with & evaporates to the perfect tacky ness & still very easy to clean off with dish soap.

Its also very hard to come by now so I use powersave oil,also hard to come by at times & not tacky enough for me but cleans well.

I got some oil from TKO a while back that I used in between the others & that works well & is what I will probably stick with. Its in stock everytime I'm on his site for the other little cool things he comes up with.

I will tell you this much I'm done trying all the dirt bike oils. Over the years it feels like they have all gone too tacky(except the motorex) & while it may be good for my expensive ass 4 stroke its too much for my little motors.If its gonna be that hard to clean my filters I might as well just buy them by the truck load & not clean them.I should clarify my view on filters,I want them spotless,I replace the outers every time the car comes off the track & the inners every week some times every other week so I have alot of dirty outers to clean & cant afford a new filter every time.Most RC brand oils are for the most part WAY overpriced for me.

jbright33 04-20-2010 08:38 PM

figure what you pay in soap, water bill, chemicals, oil, and then filter to begin with you should have just bought some lucky 7 preoiled. plus foam and alot of chemicals dont mix and also when you clean airfilters they usually strech some so y take the chance of sucking dirt in? just my 2$ i guess.

Teccmoney 04-20-2010 08:56 PM

fluidz spray on air filter oil and cleaner..... this stuff is the best on the market hands down....

imaxx21 04-20-2010 09:02 PM

PJ1 :)