Wiki Posts
Search

Water System for Track

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Water System for Track

Does anyone know of a good watering system for a track. We are looking for a way to get the track done quicker than using a regular hose. I have seen some tracks have large tanks with pumps but i cannot find any information online as of to what they are using. Does anyone have any good ideas.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

best way about that is a sprinkler system
Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We have a 2" water main run directly into a Fire system blow off, plug a fire hose to it and can water a 2" stream of water probably 100', can water 18,000sq ft in probably 7 or 8 minutes.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4664330_n.jpg
Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default water

Originally Posted by Smith90
Does anyone know of a good watering system for a track. We are looking for a way to get the track done quicker than using a regular hose. I have seen some tracks have large tanks with pumps but i cannot find any information online as of to what they are using. Does anyone have any good ideas.

Thanks
There are a lot of variables in what you are asking for. First what is the source of your water supply. Generally if you see a water holding tank, say a 1500-2000 gallon it is because there demand is much greater then there supply. There are alot of options but we need to know the source first. When you see large holding tanks often it is because the water supply is to low so by having a tank you can continue to store water while there is no demand. Often ther will be a float switch in the tank to shut of the water supply filling the tank at full capacity and a submersible high output pump in the tank for discharging water at a high volume say 25-40 gallons a minute. From the tank if you were to run 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" p.v.c around the perimeter of the track and mount hose spigots with a large inlet hole say 1" and good 3/4" hoses you should have a $hit load of water available. Hope I wrote this where it can be understood.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

We draft our water from a near by pond, using a 2"
gas powered hi-pressure pump. I made a few different
style nozzles, to fit on the end of a dead-mans valve,
to distribute the water.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I own an Irrigation Company. The best and most efficient way to water is definatley "sprinklers" / irrigation. When you use a hose you always end up over watering some areas and under watering the others. The heads we use at our track are Hunter PGH "High Pop" sprinkler heads. They pop-up 12" off the ground once pressurized and they will be flush or a little sunk in the track when off. This allows the heads to not be seen or hit bye a vehicle.

Sprinkler head technology has greatly increased due to major watering restrictions in todays world. Each head if spaced properly will cover exactly the same amount as the other sprinkler if you use "head to head" coverage. They heads have variable nozzles available, so a head in the corner can use a 2.0 gallon per minute (GPM) nozzles and a 180 can use a 3.0 GPM and the 360 heads in the center use 4.0 GPM. The "Rain Curtain" nozzles allow for complete even coverage.

If you email me the information to [email protected], I can have my designer put togther a CAD drawing and specs. I will need to size of the water source, static pressure, distance from meter to track, size of track and whether you want the valves to be run electric or manual. If you can use electric, then you can soak the track the night before the race.

Let me know.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default water

I have always wanted to try a over head watering system. With it being 120 degrees in Arizona it would be cool. But I am sure it would be expensive

Old 04-23-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Adept

At the motocross tracks I ride they use a sprinklet system, should be similar for an rc track I would think. They also use a water truck, probably way overkill for an rc track.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We are about to do a major track redo and I'm looking to put a sprinkler system in place hopefully at the same time depending on cost. Right now we have four tanks (I think they are 250 gallons each) and a gas operated pump from Tractor Supply, a 2 inch hose with a firehose type nozzle on it. We can water the track in about 5 minutes total, but as mentioned earlier some areas usually get over watered, and some get underwatered. One drawback is where we are at there is no water so we have to trailer one tank about 5 miles to a boat launch and fill the tank up, then come back and pump it into another tank until they are all full.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Sprinklers

I too am in the irrigation and plumbing business and have given this alot of thought in the past. The big problem for most tracks is the water supply. Not alot of places have the pressure or volume to run those bigger sprinkler heads all at once like a golf course does. So by the time you break them up into zones and wait for them to go trough the cycle you could have watered with a few hoses. Also, unless your track is fairly flat you are gonna have problems with coverage because of the elevation change and the jumps. One side of a jump will get soaked and shield the other side. Marcus, I think has the best idea if funds were not an issue as an overhead system would simulate rain and cover quickly and evenly. With that ruled out though I think a good track team with hoses is the best way to water.