Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYWG6&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVX1&P=7

i think he was talking about these, alittle pricey but im sure there worth it
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

With the correct pipe, header, fuel, plug, clutch setup and tune the O’Donnell SS .21 is an awesome engine. If you have ever run an O.S. Speed this engine is right there with it but half the cost. I have 6 gallons on our buggy engine and it’s still strong. The engine is designed to be smooth and get great fuel efficiency so if you like a light switch then this engine is not for you. Our Truggy SS .21 engine is modded by Murnan Modified Engines and it’s second to none (The stock SS.21 has plenty of power for both buggy and Truggy). Murnan drilled the crank, ramped it and cleaned the inside up. Murnan always does awesome work and every engine he’s done for us has more power, idles smoother and just runs better. We haven’t run the Werks engine so I can’t say if it’s good or bad but I have learned over the years that you will have to get the engines and decide for yourself which is best for you. Buy both of them; get a couple gallons on each. Then sell the one you like least. If you break them in correct and only have a couple gallons on it you can usually get at least half back for it. I need to add that we are sponsored by both O’Donnell and Murnan but both have quality products. The SS. 21 is low cost, runs great, and durable.

With the Z01-B SG and the Z01-T SG the cars are race ready out of the box. Much cheaper than buying a car and having to buy $200 in hop-up parts to make it durable or competitive. Also check out the replacement parts for O’Donnell’s, they are priced so the average racer can afford them.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

There are way too many engines out there that are great mills for the money, and mostly it comes down to preference. The ss is easy to and holds tune better than my other mills. I have found no end to the top end of mine, and I also agree with Mario that in a truck a little more umph is useful but not a must. If your a person that likes to tune around 200-220 run times will suffer a little but still be fine for most races, and the extra time can be gained when needed. To call it unreliable though is a stretch IMO. I recently tested the cobra rc pipe while waiting on the r2 and like how very linear it's from bottom to top, also as soon as I fired it up it went very rich and needed to be leaned so I expect great run times with it! We will all be biased to our sponsors and favorite brands, buy what you want and enjoy it! The support that's available for od products is worth 30 bucks to me, and that is not to say werks does not take care of their customers.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mcran
With the correct pipe, header, fuel, plug, clutch setup and tune the O’Donnell SS .21 is an awesome engine.
Seems like the ss21 is definitely a work in progress, and not an awesome engine.... imho, an "awesome engine" should be one that's somewhat flexible to pipe, header, fuel, plug, and clutch setup, and hold tune pretty well over the course of a race day.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

so basically what your saying is after i spend $30 more for the Od i have to send it away to be modded??? how much is that??? the a certian pipe???

I know I'm partial to Werks. But I honestly only know 1 person in the thread that had modded his engine. He did to to test out if it was worth it. But $200 for the B5 and you def don't need to mod it. And you can honestly run pretty much any pipe with the b5. I've persoanlly run Werks,TTR,OS,Losi,JP,Dynamite, and I think that is it as far as pipes that I've run with the B5 and all of them I have been just as fast as as the Novarossi's,Reedy's,V-specs,Orions,Go engines.

But I will honestly say without BS'ing it isn 't as fast as a OS Speed. That was the engine I had before I got on with Werks. I seriously doubt a OD is as fast or faster then an OS speed... Well I guess any engine could be faster then a os speed...but only once

-DC-
Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Seems like the ss21 is definitely a work in progress, and not an awesome engine.... imho, an "awesome engine" should be one that's somewhat flexible to pipe, header, fuel, plug, and clutch setup, and hold tune pretty well over the course of a race day.
A decent engine tuner will be able to make any pipe, plug, fuel and clutch setup work with this engine. How you want it to react is up to the tuner. As far as holding a tune... I've 'abused' this engine a great deal and haven't had an issue with the tune "changing". Now that doesn't stop the weather up here from changing though... I haven't found anything to stop that! We just have to tune around the changing weather.

So far, what you've said has been unfounded up here among the PacNW OD racers.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by smitty2802
so basically what your saying is after i spend $30 more for the Od i have to send it away to be modded??? how much is that??? the a certian pipe???

I know I'm partial to Werks. But I honestly only know 1 person in the thread that had modded his engine. He did to to test out if it was worth it. But $200 for the B5 and you def don't need to mod it. And you can honestly run pretty much any pipe with the b5. I've persoanlly run Werks,TTR,OS,Losi,JP,Dynamite, and I think that is it as far as pipes that I've run with the B5 and all of them I have been just as fast as as the Novarossi's,Reedy's,V-specs,Orions,Go engines.

But I will honestly say without BS'ing it isn 't as fast as a OS Speed. That was the engine I had before I got on with Werks. I seriously doubt a OD is as fast or faster then an OS speed... Well I guess any engine could be faster then a os speed...but only once

-DC-
No modding required. It'll run with the other engines just fine.

The pipe depends on the track, the OD can use em all. Not sure why you're implying that the OD requires a certain pipe. Anyone that knows a grain of salt about 2strokes knows the real tale.

As far as the OS Speed, which is a great engine - it's certainly not the 'be all end all' engine. I've run with them without worry. It was a nice feeling.

(Edit: Oh, I see where you got the modding stuff... my how quote is a nice feature.)
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

then they weren't tuned if you can run with them...

So for the guy wanting to know which is better. Buy both if you can go to the engines respectable thread and do some research as far as customer support and product support from both and make your desision after that if you can only do 1 engine. And hope that you like your desision no matter what you choose as both engines i'm sure can perform good enough for any joe.

-DC-
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

I never implyed that Od must use a certain pipe... I asked b/c from what I read thats what it sounded like

-DC-
Old 04-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by smitty2802
then they weren't tuned if you can run with them...

So for the guy wanting to know which is better. Buy both if you can go to the engines respectable thread and do some research as far as customer support and product support from both and make your desision after that if you can only do 1 engine. And hope that you like your desision no matter what you choose as both engines i'm sure can perform good enough for any joe.

-DC-
Oh, the "Speed" was tuned, alright! I think we can both agree that perhaps one was better suited to the track than the other.

Regardless, your second statement is perfect. I can't agree more. It seems Werks has good customer service and I know for a fact how well O'Donnell treats their customers.

For anyone to base their opinion on this thread alone would be silly. It may be boring, but like you said; look at the threads for the engines. Make a decision from that. Or, check out the local track and see what guys are running. ...or both!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm not biased.... werks all the way if you want power. Odo if you wanna be a hero.

Que Que !!!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

The SS .21 has responded well to all the different combinations we have tried with it and we haven’t had any tuning issues. It doesn’t need modded, it was just fun seeing what it would do. It’s a good buy. But so is the Werks from what everyone has posted.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I'm not biased.... werks all the way if you want power. Odo if you wanna be a hero.

Que Que !!!
lol ,

Werks all the way!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Everyone is going to like different things in life........... just leave your vote and a reason and leaver it alone. You guys are not going to change each others mind. Thats why it called and OPINION..lol
Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It seems somewhat of a coincidence, please correct me if I am wrong....

Most of the guys that are giving strong reviews about the OD are on the team, while those that are not on the team prefer the werks. Are there any drivers not sponsored by or closely associated with o'donnell that prefer the ss21 to the werks? I hate to say it, but an O'Donnell driver endorsing their own product doesn't go very far for the unsponsored guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.