R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Don't forget 071Crazy their are a handle of OD guys at our home track that chose to run a ProMod. hummm I wonder why?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket View Post
Don't forget 071Crazy their are a handle of OD guys at our home track that chose to run a ProMod. hummm I wonder why?
shhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

werks....easy choice...the OD is a rtr mill compared to the werks
streetsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #49
Tech Regular

I like the name O Donnell, But Werks is spelled kinda cool
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
It seems somewhat of a coincidence, please correct me if I am wrong....

Most of the guys that are giving strong reviews about the OD are on the team, while those that are not on the team prefer the werks. Are there any drivers not sponsored by or closely associated with o'donnell that prefer the ss21 to the werks? I hate to say it, but an O'Donnell driver endorsing their own product doesn't go very far for the unsponsored guys.
Here is the Truth from someone who has not run either engine but has seen many of them racing at the Nitro Pit and other tracks across AZ and Cali.
They are both strong running engines and both seem to keep up with all.
I have not seen either one having any problems other than what other engines might have problems with like bearings etc.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Hmm Hmm(clearing throat). Here's my opinion. I have not ran either engine, I personally run Novarossi(usually). BUT, I have been looking for an affordable back-up engine, and these two have been mentioned. I'm not one to take everyone's word on the internet, so I look to what everyone is using locally. At my local track(Outacontrol Raceway in Central Florida for those who are curious), I've seen many B5's and ZERO O'Donnell engines. Everyone I've talked to about the B5 has had good reviews, plus, it seems to perform well on the track. As for price, on A-main, the O'Donnell is 199.98 and the B5 is 199.99, I think I'll cough up the extra penny for the B5. Just my .02......
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniracer23 View Post
Hmm Hmm(clearing throat). Here's my opinion. I have not ran either engine, I personally run Novarossi(usually). BUT, I have been looking for an affordable back-up engine, and these two have been mentioned. I'm not one to take everyone's word on the internet, so I look to what everyone is using locally. At my local track(Outacontrol Raceway in Central Florida for those who are curious), I've seen many B5's and ZERO O'Donnell engines. Everyone I've talked to about the B5 has had good reviews, plus, it seems to perform well on the track. As for price, on A-main, the O'Donnell is 199.98 and the B5 is 199.99, I think I'll cough up the extra penny for the B5. Just my .02......
Actually it's your .01 not .02.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Actually it's your .01 not .02.
Point taken....
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #54
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniracer23 View Post
Point taken....
Hahaha
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
It seems somewhat of a coincidence, please correct me if I am wrong....

Most of the guys that are giving strong reviews about the OD are on the team, while those that are not on the team prefer the werks. Are there any drivers not sponsored by or closely associated with o'donnell that prefer the ss21 to the werks? I hate to say it, but an O'Donnell driver endorsing their own product doesn't go very far for the unsponsored guys.
So us sponsored guys shouldn't give our opinion? At no point have I said "Werks is junk." or, like the first few posts, "A friend of mine had this engine..." Nor have I ever lied on here to push a product. I'm certainly not going to censor myself.

The SS21 was designed and priced for the unsponsored drivers in mind. I don't HAVE to run it, I chose to.

Lastly; I find it hard to believe that Werks drivers haven't made a visit here to defend their engine. That's fine! That makes the RC world stay in business.
Jon Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

im not a werks factory guy (id like to be but im not). i own a B5. after the 1 gallon mark ive had nothing but success. fires up every time, holds a tune and get decent runtime in a truggy. it has more than enough power to push any vehicle out there. my only "real" complaint is everyone that owns the motor and has tested various pipes all agree that the werks pipes are the best for this engine. now i understand that a manufacturer would be the best one to produce a pipe for "their" engine but the pipes are $100. if you read on the werks thread on here alot of guys are getting 10-11 mins runtime with the werks pipes. they also claim the b5 is getting up to 8-10 gallons before they start to die. again i do not know about the OD motor.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #57

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

remember to keep things clean and on track please guys....

as for motors i have ran many many different motors... my motor of choice is the rb c6.. hands down power house.. problem is tuning them all the time.. very weather sensative...

have 2 os speed engines yes they are fast and good but sometimes they are a little too much on a loose track...

have 2 ss.21 engines great mileage and reliable.. hold a tune very well from week to week..... i have a motor i borrowed from jimbo with about 6-7 gallons on it.. no problems holding a tune and just as much power as a new ss.21... i will be ordering 2 more to have just for spares if needed.....

as for werks i have had several of them the famous b3-b7... not the b-5 but all i can say is i think the b3 is underpowered and snapped a crank at 3/4 of a gallon.. engine has way to much pinch.. b-7 very very fast motor but broke 3 rods in the same engine.. still again to much pinch.. out of the guys i race with there was 10-15 guys with werks b-3 or b-7 that all had rods or cranks break.. since then (and i know the b-5 is different) none of the guys have bought another werks motor again...

each and every motor has its ups and downs... it all depends on the guy that is cranking the needles in or out... also the trigger finger has alot to do with fuel mileage also.. i can run my temps at 220ish all day give another guy my car and it comes in at 260+... everyone drives different which gives different results... your moderator..
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #58
Tech Regular

could a b5 and a ss21 owner, racer, team driver please tell us something that seems to be a problem (even if its small one) with their motor just so we can see what the really honest problems with the motors are.it seems like noone has anything remotetly negitive to say about the brand they run for.....
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
im not a werks factory guy (id like to be but im not). i own a B5. after the 1 gallon mark ive had nothing but success. fires up every time, holds a tune and get decent runtime in a truggy. it has more than enough power to push any vehicle out there. my only "real" complaint is everyone that owns the motor and has tested various pipes all agree that the werks pipes are the best for this engine. now i understand that a manufacturer would be the best one to produce a pipe for "their" engine but the pipes are $100. if you read on the werks thread on here alot of guys are getting 10-11 mins runtime with the werks pipes. they also claim the b5 is getting up to 8-10 gallons before they start to die. again i do not know about the OD motor.
I have a Werks B5 and i doubt over 10 min in buggy and i doubt any engine will last 8-10 gallons. Maybe 6.

I'll know if this mill is staying in my car or not next sat. So far so good though. i noticed my low end needle was still really rich last race soo.... after a gallon it's leaner and i think in better shape for this next tussle.

My buddy steve got 7th in the a main at hobby hut trphy race. lotta fast guys and only non sponsored dude to take home some buggy hardware. i q'd 9 secs behind him and that put my ass at CQ and thats where i stayed..... blowww outtt !!!

so yea maybe if i had my bottom end right or my brakes right

The b5 has alot of power over my reedy... lots more. My reedy can do 11.5 min rich.

It's a trade off.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer7469 View Post
remember to keep things clean and on track please guys....

as for motors i have ran many many different motors... my motor of choice is the rb c6.. hands down power house.. problem is tuning them all the time.. very weather sensative...

have 2 os speed engines yes they are fast and good but sometimes they are a little too much on a loose track...

have 2 ss.21 engines great mileage and reliable.. hold a tune very well from week to week..... i have a motor i borrowed from jimbo with about 6-7 gallons on it.. no problems holding a tune and just as much power as a new ss.21... i will be ordering 2 more to have just for spares if needed.....

as for werks i have had several of them the famous b3-b7... not the b-5 but all i can say is i think the b3 is underpowered and snapped a crank at 3/4 of a gallon.. engine has way to much pinch.. b-7 very very fast motor but broke 3 rods in the same engine.. still again to much pinch.. out of the guys i race with there was 10-15 guys with werks b-3 or b-7 that all had rods or cranks break.. since then (and i know the b-5 is different) none of the guys have bought another werks motor again...

each and every motor has its ups and downs... it all depends on the guy that is cranking the needles in or out... also the trigger finger has alot to do with fuel mileage also.. i can run my temps at 220ish all day give another guy my car and it comes in at 260+... everyone drives different which gives different results... your moderator..
You guys must have forgot to put your air filter's on
heidmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote