R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to rc_in_mexico Send a message via Yahoo to rc_in_mexico
Exclamation My new Buggy Wont Start

I just Bought an OFNA Ultra LX One and i cant start the engine.I already opened the idle because i noticed it was closed all the way. i am using trinity monster 20% with a McCoy 59 plug. I connect the stock glow driver but i think it might not be working. Any tips on how to make it work without a trip to the hobby shop? the closest one is 400 miles away
rc_in_mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if its the glow igniter that has a D or C battery in it, then it will NOT work, it doesnt get the glow plug hot enough. i had one that came with my Hyper and it wouldnt work after 30 seconds on the plug.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_in_mexico View Post
I just Bought an OFNA Ultra LX One and i cant start the engine.I already opened the idle because i noticed it was closed all the way. i am using trinity monster 20% with a McCoy 59 plug. I connect the stock glow driver but i think it might not be working. Any tips on how to make it work without a trip to the hobby shop? the closest one is 400 miles away
Which glow plug igniter are you using? What battery setup does it have?
skerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have used the cheap losi battery igniter to light a mc59, but just curious, why did you mess with the engine before you got it to fire? im not saying you dont know what you are doing, but it is best to make all adjustments to an engine while it is running. to check if the plug works take it out and apply the glow igniter (dont worry about burning yourself, the coils heat but the exterior will not unless you hold it there for a long time. if the plug glows, check your lines and gaskets, you might not be getting a good seal.
C.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New engines

New engines never come set right from the factory. I would turn the low speed needle in about half a turn. What happens is the bottom end needle is set too rich and it floods. It's the needle with the flat head screw on the side of the carb inside the side that slides open. Also try leaning the top end needle just a small ammount until it starts....Don't rev the engine too much, just small blips to get it running, If it runs then gurgles and dis then lean the low speed needle a bit more, but if it races high then open it a bit or close the idle gap small ammount until it idle low and smooth....Be patient....
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Tech Regular

i opened it up because it wouldnt start and i read that the idle screw can be the problem. im new to nitro and have used only my buddies nitro rustler. Im using a D-cell glow ignitor and its the first time i try to start a pullstart engine. And i already tried the plug out of the engine. It doesnt heat up. is there some way i can make a setup to boost the power without buying a new starter?

and thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
New engines never come set right from the factory. I would turn the low speed needle in about half a turn. What happens is the bottom end needle is set too rich and it floods. It's the needle with the flat head screw on the side of the carb inside the side that slides open. Also try leaning the top end needle just a small ammount until it starts....Don't rev the engine too much, just small blips to get it running, If it runs then gurgles and dis then lean the low speed needle a bit more, but if it races high then open it a bit or close the idle gap small ammount until it idle low and smooth....Be patient....
thanks. im prettty sure its the glow ignitor though
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Default you are screwing up stop now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_in_mexico View Post
i opened it up because it wouldnt start and i read that the idle screw can be the problem. im new to nitro and have used only my buddies nitro rustler. Im using a D-cell glow ignitor and its the first time i try to start a pullstart engine. And i already tried the plug out of the engine. It doesnt heat up. is there some way i can make a setup to boost the power without buying a new starter?

and thanks for the help
u are seriously screwing up!! screw your high and low speed needles all the way in,then unscrew them counter clockwise to flush.prime your engine by removing your fuel tubing from the pipe, blow in that end watch for the fuel to hit the carburetor stop reconnect the fuel line to the pipe.put a fresh d battery in your ignitor pop it on and give about 3-5 quick pulls.your engine should start. but remember u have screwed up your idle needle so now u might hve to take it to your hobbyshop
bigmane42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Tech Regular

the glow ignitor isnt heating up the glow plug. as i said before, the idle was closed al the way. can anybody tell me how to get more power from the glow ignitor so it will heat up my plug? i left it on hot a minute but it barely heat the coils and im using a new battery. should i get a new one?
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmane42 View Post
u are seriously screwing up!! screw your high and low speed needles all the way in,then unscrew them counter clockwise to flush.prime your engine by removing your fuel tubing from the pipe, blow in that end watch for the fuel to hit the carburetor stop reconnect the fuel line to the pipe.put a fresh d battery in your ignitor pop it on and give about 3-5 quick pulls.your engine should start. but remember u have screwed up your idle needle so now u might hve to take it to your hobbyshop

as i said before, im 400 miles from the nearest hobbyshop
Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to snowman6869

Get a better battery for your ignitor and I wouldnt recommend any adjusting of any settings till you got it running and warm
SAVOX
LUCKY7 RC FASTLANE GRAPHIX
snowman6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to snowman6869

also dont apply your ignitor until you have primed the engine.
SAVOX
LUCKY7 RC FASTLANE GRAPHIX
snowman6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...-Glow-Ignitors
c9311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the plug is not glowing it's either the plug or the ignitor. Check the plug first with a new one on the ignitor. If it still doesn't work it's the ignitor. New batteries are my suggestion
3DRCRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also suggest when you get the plug/ignitor working that you set your needles back to factory specs. Don't keep trying to start the engine if the plug isn't working
3DRCRACER is offline   Reply With Quote