Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight t 2.0 rtr motor(losi 454) question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight t 2.0 rtr motor(losi 454) question

Has anyone else went back to factory settings(2.5 turns out from closed for both needles) and found the factory settings to be WAY lean? I have done this once and motor was extremely lean. I flushed both needles and went from there. High speed needle seemed to run best when it was ABOVE flush by a turn or two and no the low speed needle wasn't too lean. I have seen 2 other Losi 454's tuned and both of them their HSN's were well below flush. What is going on with my car? Carb is clean and motor has been RTV'ed and tested for air leaks. Tank has no air leak either. Help!

plug: MC59
Fuel: Byrons gen2 30%
pipe: stock one that came with RTR kit.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mine seemed to be rich enough for break in. It deffinitally was leaner then some motors I have had at factory, but was perfect for break in. I did have to do a complete rebuild on the carb because of leaks in the needles. When it was at factory, the motor was lean because of multible air leaks. Once the needles would be screwed in the leak would slightly go away. Once I got some new carb o-rings it was good to go. So what I would do is check the O-rings if you haven't already and see if the o-rings looks good and not brittle like mine were. If they seem good it should be fine and not a problem.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

I went thru the carb and only thing i saw was the low speed o ring maybe was alittle outta wack or something...i'll get a new one just in case.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Oh mine was so rich it wouldn't run from the factory. My guess is the "factory settings" in the manual aren't the same ones that came factory on my car or i caught an airleak in the o rings somewhere inbetween. It seems like anytime you mess with the needles too much you end up chewing up an o ring...man electric cars are starting to look tempting and this is my 3rd nitro...i don't consider myself a newbie.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just broke in a 454 and found the factory settings to be too lean as well. Especially the low speed needle. I had to richen it up quite a bit to get it running well. I almost thought the thing had an airleak! It kept revving up after I throttled it, had me worried for a second. It is running quite well and reliably now. It is a really fun motor!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TheFcuddy
I just broke in a 454 and found the factory settings to be too lean as well. Especially the low speed needle. I had to richen it up quite a bit to get it running well. I almost thought the thing had an airleak! It kept revving up after I throttled it, had me worried for a second. It is running quite well and reliably now. It is a really fun motor!
Good to hear i'm not the only one. It is just odd since factories settings are usually very rich. I'm gonna change the low speed needle o ring just in case but i think all is good. How can i find an air leak at the LSN?