Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Any luck with after market clutches? >

Any luck with after market clutches?

Any luck with after market clutches?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

New Spring's or Not....3 hard spring's or not and the Clutch Still Saggs out when it gets heat soaked....Ive tempted a Fioroni slider at 400+ degrees....you think that's not slipping....LOL

As JamminKrazy said I dont like Fioroni slider's and lets leave it at that.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
New Spring's or Not....3 hard spring's or not and the Clutch Still Saggs out when it gets heat soaked....Ive tempted a Fioroni slider at 400+ degrees....you think that's not slipping....LOL

As JamminKrazy said I dont like Fioroni slider's and lets leave it at that.
Vile temptress! You know us clutches have trouble making good decisions when faced with that situation!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You guys running stock bells or anything special?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run the Fioroni "Vario" Lightweight Air Flow 3 Shoe Adjustable Clutch System (2 Ergal/1 Carbon) (FIO-OT-FR111) - I've gone through a gallon plus on it. And the shoes look almost new. I had very little cleanup on the shoes. The Carbon shoe is the only one showing signs of wear. Even the carbon shoe is not even half way worn. My first race on this clutch currently was from the PNB in Atlanta in March - and a couple club races and tuning days locally.

I'm using a vented 16t and 14t Ofna CB.

As a matter of fact I broke the case power tuning and jumping and the clutch is still great.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Any luck with after market clutches?-100_1302.jpg   Any luck with after market clutches?-100_1303.jpg  
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mthird
Vile temptress! You know us clutches have trouble making good decisions when faced with that situation!

what....
Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Lord

Good Old Weak StS.....Nice1 offr0aden
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can use most clutchbells with the various Fioroni clutches. I have seen, heard, used, or helped others install Kyosho, Mugen, Hot Bodies, GS, OFNA, and Losi bells on the Turbo Sliding and Vario/Quattro clutches.

I have been using the Vario 3 shoe with 2 ergal and 1 carbon shoe this year on my Fioroni CLX/Evo, and so far the clutch runs great and the shoes are showing almost no wear. The clutch is very easy to work on if you want to change the springs or shoes. It goes together with very little effort and you don't need to pry the springs in place. The adjustable cam virtually captures the springs and snaps into place.

I just installed the optional 3/4/5 cam and tried the 4 setting. The engine definitely revs higher before the clutch engages and I have even more punch off the line. I have been testing at Revelation's on the new layout which has some big jumps and tight corners.

At the Silverstate race this year there were about a half dozen drivers using the Turbo Sliding clutch and they all had good things to say. A couple of guys had the Vario clutches and a couple more bought and installed them while at the race. One of them installed a Vario in his STRR and he said it worked fine.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Good Old Weak StS.....Nice1 offr0aden
With all due respect to the STS - it ran at the PNB - then I gave it all it had trying to jump a double to table top of about 30 feet in total. And at the end of the day - it went SmaCk ... and I went ... ohhh owww - that's not good - and Tada - broken case.

Here's a video of a race from last week - I was almost clearing the table top going into the turn off the front straight away.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Tuning clutches and the feeling each driver wants is a very sensitive thing. Combine this with a different engine characteristics and track conditions and you have something some one could call a religion

I'm a true believer for M2C 4shoe system. Just love the longevity and feeling I get from it. I think biggest difference is the snap that the M2C system can give. It really does not slide thus it might feel too agressive for some but good thing is that with the overall tunability you can basically have the same feeling as with 3 shoe clutch with mixed material shoes (if you really want, I don't). Nice addition is the new variabe weight system where you can even further tyne the characteristics of your engine-clutch combo.

Also having 4 shoes spreads the load more evenly and it enables you really to use different springs in pairs without putting excess load to the clutch bearings like in 3-shoe setups where you mix shoes and springs. Since going to the M2C systems I've noticed less maintenance, longer bearing life and more consistent operation of the clutch no matter if you run 5min qualification or 1hour A-main.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what....
It was a (poor, apparently) attempt at being a spelling nazi.

Ive tempted a Fioroni slider
Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stirex
I have used the Answer-RC shoes, Stock RC8 Alum, Dynamite Hard and now the Ascendancy Racing Clutch system on my RC8B / T. Here are my observations:

1. Answer-RC: Great shoes, last forever and don't seem to leave alot of left over alum inside the bell. Also they are designed so you dont have to use the tefon shim or the washers. Another bonus, they come with all 3 sizes of springs (.9, 1.0, 1.1) (Currently run these on my RC8T with Reedy and Werks B5)

2. Ascendancy Racing Clutch: So far the wear has been very good, the engagement smooth, and also come with all 3 sets of springs. Verdict is still out as I am having a little bit of some clearance issues on the RC8B, but none on the T. (Motor sits alot closer to the center diff on the B, there is a post about it on there thread by me) (Run on my RC8B with Nova Plus 4C, a bit smoother feeling to me then the 3 shoe)

3. Stock AE Alum: Engagement was good until they started to wear a little, then I would get slippage in long mains. Wear was about average, but nothing to write home about. And you have to use either the teflon shim, or the washers to elevate the shoes off the flywheel

4. Dynamite: Same mounting as the AE ones, last a long time, but was having slippage and inconsistent engagement.

These are my observations and personal feel and opinions based on what I have run. Everyone feels or percieves the performance of a clutch differently. I know there have been many that have had great luck with the AE and Dynamite ones, but they just aren't for me.
currently using the answer-rc clutch for my rc8t too,i would say great shoe ,no problem here ,yes your right on the dynamite it like to slip ,anyway im still looking forward on this "impulse" thing the 2024 hard ,guys any input here ,thks
Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I recently installed som JVD(Ascendancy) alu shoes on my Losi clutch. Yesterday I checked them after a little over a quart of fuel through them. You can hardly tell they've been used and they hookup like crazy. I used them with the supplied gold springs can't remember what rate they are, but it's my preferred setup for truggy now.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Glad to hear from happy customers Neobart. We also have shoes for AE, Losi, and HN all made with that same high quality "secret" aluminum. This of course in addition to our Effortless Clutch System.

http://www.ascendancyrc.com/AEAccessories.php

http://www.ascendancyrc.com/HNAccessories.php

http://www.ascendancyrc.com/TeamLosiAccessories.php

FYI, the rates are:
Green= 0.9
Gold= 1.0
Silver= 1.1
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

i thought the Effortless was just talking about mounting the system .....i was wrong ...it also stands for the effortless maintenance it needs

I'm not making this up ....3gallon's before i touched it...i checked it each gallon to see how the shoes were wearing ...on the 3rd gallon i thought man its gotta be spurring up ..nope just a little build up on clutch bell. 30 seconds with a dremel done with maintenance...thier might be another system that last that long but not this easy to work on

worse part about it is I had to admit to a friend it was better then my old clutch
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM
XRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Guys, I pretty much tried them all, and I'll run the Ascendancy clutch all day over everything else out there. Over 3 and a half gallons to a set of shoes, smooth linear electric feel, plenty of punch when you want it without blowing tires off the car, more tunable to track conditions than most, and more affordable than anything else out there.

+1 Ascendancy Racing Effortless Clutch