Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Do you squeeze out the excess oil on your air filters? >

Do you squeeze out the excess oil on your air filters?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you squeeze out the excess oil on your air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Do you squeeze out the excess oil on your air filters?

I run a Losi 8ight t 2.0 and bought a bunch of the Losi preoiled air filter foams. They seem heavily oiled. I raced Saturday and had fresh one on and didn't squeeze the excess out. Motor ran good on grass but as soon as i put it on the track it ran rich. Seemed like too much dirt was sticking to the filter. Actually the dirt on the prefilter turned to mud. I'm guessing this is my reason for the rich condition. Went thru the carb and all is clean. Do you squeeze out both the pre and the main filter or just the pre or what? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I always put a dry outer one over mine and it works really good.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bacchus
I run a Losi 8ight t 2.0 and bought a bunch of the Losi preoiled air filter foams. They seem heavily oiled. I raced Saturday and had fresh one on and didn't squeeze the excess out. Motor ran good on grass but as soon as i put it on the track it ran rich. Seemed like too much dirt was sticking to the filter. Actually the dirt on the prefilter turned to mud. I'm guessing this is my reason for the rich condition. Went thru the carb and all is clean. Do you squeeze out both the pre and the main filter or just the pre or what? Thanks!
Always roll both filters in a paper towel before installing. They are soaked with oil sitting in the bags.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Cool thanks. That had to be my problem!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I actually add oil to the losi filters sometimes if they seem a little dry. Then I squeeze it out in a plastic bag and sometimes with a papertowel depends on how oily they are. But I run both the inner and outer element oiled. The inner one is usually almost clean but then i toss them after race day and start fresh.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I actually add oil to the losi filters sometimes if they seem a little dry. Then I squeeze it out in a plastic bag and sometimes with a papertowel depends on how oily they are. But I run both the inner and outer element oiled. The inner one is usually almost clean but then i toss them after race day and start fresh.
That's weird, mine were soaked when i pulled them out of the bag.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have had some soaked and some that were more dry. Like everything at Losi depends on the batch...
Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bacchus
You also have to keep in mind that when you run on grass you will most likely have to richen the motor due to the grass being harder to run on, then when you get ont he track like you said the motor will be rich, always try to tune on either the track or some were that has the same type of surface.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i run the prefilter dry. If i oil it, it attracts tons of dirt. The losi filters never seemed heavily oiled to me. When i oil my filters i put them in a ziplock and put some oil in bag (not much) and squeeze the crap out of them till it's evenly distributed. Put the dry outer element on and i am ready to go.

I change my oil filters very often. Maybe every 5 tanks. or in between quals.