Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
DUST MASK/ RESPORATOR WHEN MARSHALLING. ANYONE? >

DUST MASK/ RESPORATOR WHEN MARSHALLING. ANYONE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DUST MASK/ RESPORATOR WHEN MARSHALLING. ANYONE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default DUST MASK/ RESPORATOR WHEN MARSHALLING. ANYONE?

I have been thinking for some time now it is stupid to be out in all the dense dust and nitro fumes when marshaling without any protection at all

I am seriously considering trialing a mask of some sort

1. Has any one heard of or seen any body doing this?

2 If so what types are been used / what works and is suited to the sport?

3 Am i likely to be the 1st person in history to do this? Hehe

I am expecting a fair bit of critisisim here but hey i thought i would put it out there

Some tracks are more dusty than others.. Our local one lately has been appauling.. To the point of not been able to see your car at times

Dave
Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

I would be more concerned with fumes when pitting for someone. Or when racing indoors.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Good point, I was thinking about the pit situation where the fumes are more localized... i should have made mention of it

Perhaps it,s that im too scared of being bashed in the pits by my been a masked freakshow but feel i can get away with it when marshaling..

One thing i dont know and will research is weather or not dust is even all that bad for you... I would be certian it is not good for you thou

And as far as fumes go from the fuel we use i would think we are inhaling some seriously carcinogenic stuff there

This might all sound a bit silly and fair enough.. But whats silly about protecting your lungs or preventing cancer if we can possibly do so

Think about the little kids that are involved in this sport and may well be all there lives.. Not good when you think about it

Dave
Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 AM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Ain't nothin' wrong w/being a pit-intimidator.

Just play the part well.

btw: I've seen more than a few who wear a bandana across their breathing holes.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Wow, Really?---Just out of curiosity, what do you all do for a living? I mean, I understand where you are coming from, it's not healthy, but what about all the crap that "Big Brother" isn't telling us? Just go out and have fun, clean up when it's over, and hope the EPA doesn't take it all away...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

When I was at the PNB I was surprised at how many had small disposable masks on. Is it a good idea? If you're inside on a dusty track, yes. If you're outside and there is any breeze, I don't know that it is that vital.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

actually i like the bandanna idea for pitting, since the exhaust is facing you in our pits >_>
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Prophet

[QUOTE=noR;7287271]Ain't nothin' wrong w/being a pit-intimidator.

Just play the part well.

lol boy that looks real conformble lol, but i look at it this way anything can give you cancer so just go out and have fun.

btw: I've seen more than a few who wear a bandana across their breathing
holes
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=tc5 man;7287444]
Originally Posted by noR
Ain't nothin' wrong w/being a pit-intimidator.

Just play the part well.

lol boy that looks real conformble lol, but i look at it this way anything can give you cancer so just go out and have fun.

btw: I've seen more than a few who wear a bandana across their breathing
holes
looks nice but i think will look better with an Upgrade wrap on it.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

only protection i worry about is making sure i wear gloves. pipes and flesh dont mix well. fortunately i race @ outdoor facilities. like stated earlier, the regular smog will prolly kill us before a lil dirt & nitro will
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GSMike
When I was at the PNB I was surprised at how many had small disposable masks on. Is it a good idea? If you're inside on a dusty track, yes. If you're outside and there is any breeze, I don't know that it is that vital.
I was one of the folks at PNB who was wearing a mask. I never really worried about it much, but I figured I'd give it a try....BIG difference on those long mains. It's actually not as uncommon as you'd think...I've even got a few guys that wear masks at my local track when it's really dusty.

Go down to Home Depot and get a 3 pack of those white 3M dust masks (or whatever brand you prefer). That's really all you need. They're cheap, disposable, and will keep the majority of the dust and crud out of your lungs. I used one per race day at PNB, and I found that I wasn't coughing anywhere near as much as I normally do.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DiaRh34
actually i like the bandanna idea for pitting, since the exhaust is facing you in our pits >_>
Good thing most of the tracks over here are run counter clockwise, a little easier on the pit crew.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I was one of the folks at PNB who was wearing a mask. I never really worried about it much, but I figured I'd give it a try....BIG difference on those long mains. It's actually not as uncommon as you'd think...I've even got a few guys that wear masks at my local track when it's really dusty.

Go down to Home Depot and get a 3 pack of those white 3M dust masks (or whatever brand you prefer). That's really all you need. They're cheap, disposable, and will keep the majority of the dust and crud out of your lungs. I used one per race day at PNB, and I found that I wasn't coughing anywhere near as much as I normally do.
Stubbs, I got a mask from Mike Tuder on the 2nd day @ PNBIII..that morning at the motel I was hacking up red clay...and I have used them at Local tracks since then. Keeping the respiratin system flowing!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If someone laughs at you for using something that makes you feel safer: he/she needs major help!

I see pros wearing masks all the time. Especially indoors.

You tube airbrushers and you will see the guys spraying createx/faskolor etc wearing a mask. Why its water based?

I wear a regular dual filer mask outdoors while pitting and marshalling. For the same reason that you see lawn cutters wearing them.

Indoors in questionable air quality I use:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66554

with a 20% coupon that is always available: 12 bucks for a little precaution.

Good health to you.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have used a respirator when racing and marshaling indoors many times. For outdoor racing I don't really think it's necessary but that's up to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.