struggling for rear end traction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

struggling for rear end traction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default struggling for rear end traction?

i went racing last night at my local track racing but before i left i made a few changes to the setup:

lowered the roll centre on the front and rear

shorter camber links on the front and rear

put 2 degrees of toe in at the rear

and put the shocks more upright on the front and rear

i was told that i should make my car handle better along the bumpy straight at my track. and it made a big difference it handled alot better on the bumps but the only problem i am having is the rear end. it spins out entering the corner on certain corners and spins out on the exit on other corners. any help?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I'm just not there yet to be able to give you a solid answer, but it sounds like Oversteer. Check out the set up guide on this link. It is free to download. There is a quick reference chart in the end that seems useful.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...3f593230602f30
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

try running a thinner weight oil in the rear diff. I was having the same issue with my truggy. Not so much with corner entry but corner exits, the truck was really oversteering under power.

edit* I ment thinner but typed thicker ha

Last edited by hyperevo; 04-16-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Regular

i do have a lot of over steer i end up hitting the corner alot but i thought that was because my servo was to quick
Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Rear end spinning out entering :-
To solve try below

More front neg camber
Less toe out at the front
Longer camber links
thicken front diff.
heavier sway bar up front
More brake bias towards front of car
More anti Dive

Rear end spinning out exiting

Less anti squat
Thinner centre diff
thinner rear diff (will increase corner entry steering though)
Thicken front sway bar
More rear Toe
Longer camber Links

Its all a balance and changing something to help one part of the car can create handling problems in another area as you've found out trying to make your car handle the bumps better

So it's always good to see and think about what will improve my car everywhere and not a setting change that is always a compromise. Most of the time it is, but it's all about getting the happy medium.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

what is anti dive? do you mean kick up?

and when there is a long corner my car spins out on the exits but on a short corner it spins out entering the corner?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

when using oil for a massage try to limit how much you use on her ars
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by allan42r
after going back and reading your post lewis, MAN i was WAYYYYYYYY off!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by allan42r
you what? only a little random
Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soapy
Rear end spinning out entering :-
To solve try below

More front neg camber
Less toe out at the front
Longer camber links
thicken front diff.
heavier sway bar up front
More brake bias towards front of car
More anti Dive

Rear end spinning out exiting

Less anti squat
Thinner centre diff
thinner rear diff (will increase corner entry steering though)
Thicken front sway bar
More rear Toe
Longer camber Links

Its all a balance and changing something to help one part of the car can create handling problems in another area as you've found out trying to make your car handle the bumps better

So it's always good to see and think about what will improve my car everywhere and not a setting change that is always a compromise. Most of the time it is, but it's all about getting the happy medium.
+1 i would try the thinner oil in the center & rear diffs first depend on what you running now then i increase the rear toe
Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
+1 i would try the thinner oil in the center & rear diffs first depend on what you running now then i increase the rear toe
im running the standard losi diff setup (5,7,2) would going for a 5,6,1 set up help? i am also very confused about tire choices. my local track is very bumpy and has a light dust on top of some very hardpacked dirt. i have been trying different tires and the best seems to be the proline holeshots. the only downside was them only last two race meeting but they had a very firm insert inside them but would the softer inserts make the tires last longer
Old 04-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lewis666
im running the standard losi diff setup (5,7,2) would going for a 5,6,1 set up help? i am also very confused about tire choices. my local track is very bumpy and has a light dust on top of some very hardpacked dirt. i have been trying different tires and the best seems to be the proline holeshots. the only downside was them only last two race meeting but they had a very firm insert inside them but would the softer inserts make the tires last longer
Lewis, Here's some simple set-up changes you can do without too much work.

Corner Entry-If you are loosing the rear end entering tight corners, you should decrease your rear up-travel. Measure your extended shock length from center/center of the mounting screws. Use the set-screws in the rear A-arm to adjust this. Start at 106mm. Only adjust in .5mm increments. If you go past 104mm there's something else wrong. Or you are on a supper high bite track. This will decrease the amount of weight transfer to the front when entering corners off power. Also, it could be your rear brake swinging the rear around. Check that!

Corner Exit-If you expierience the rear end steping out exiting on power, you should increase your front up-travel. Start at 95mm and adjust in .5mm increments. This will increase the amount of weight transfer to the rear and will be much easier to drive out of corners. I would also recommend toe out in the front. The Losi car almost always works better out of corners with +2 degrees out in front. If you get the new 12 degree aluminum castor blocks that will help out of corners also. Hole shots are a great alll around tire for you. M3 compound w/new black inserts and you should be balancing. I'll stop here as I know there's a lot of info.

Let me know if you have success and I'lll gladly give more advice. Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First, remember to change ONE THING AT A TIME and note the results.

Make sure you are using the LONG ackerman on the front.

Try 5-5-3 for diffs. 7 in the center is very aggressive unless you are a really good driver. 5 will calm the car down and make it "friendlier."

On the REAR camber links, make sure you have it set as long as possible (helps calm the rear end down...) in other words INSIDE holes on shock tower, OUTSIDE holes on hub. If it is already as long as possible, try going UP on the shock tower by a hole or 2.

And I think 2.5 degrees of toe on the rear would be an improvement... however, increasing toe has a positive effect AND a negative effect. It gives you more side bite... but it ALSO makes it "step out" more violently when it does break loose.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Something to look at?

http://www.3hobby.net/racerblogs/dax...on-system.html

http://www.daxcars.co.uk/anti-roll-suspension-01.htm
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

on the loose coming out of the corner try +2 rear hubs and also thicker rear diff. fluid =more traction not thinner. on losi try 5-5-2 first if still to loose go to 5-5-3 will help and sounds like have to much rear brake coming into corner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.