R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Buggy or Truggy

If you could only race one class which would it be? and why?
drt_racer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Personally I like them both. The buggy is razor sharp a little is a lot. It's crisp faster and jumps higher and easier. I have noticed that driving the buggy takes concentration and it has made me a better truggy driver. After driving the buggy the truggy is just plain fun. It's slower and takes a lot more abuse and takes a lot more to get it out of shape. Bottom line for me I like them both but I started withthe truggy and that's the one I would choose even in spite of the fact that I have been qualifing better with the buggy lately. Still truggy wins for me.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I run Buggy and have run truggy some i like truggy more but all my friends run truggy and when we go to the races we need to pit for each other so i run buggy so i can pit for him and he can pit for me. Here in Arkansas we have a lot more truggy guys then buggy. So for mow i am gone to stick with buggy.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Truggy simply because it suits my driving style more. I have raced buggy for almost a year and now I switched to truggy. But running buggy will make you a better truggy driver. Also buggy is cheaper to keep up and wheels and tires are cheaper. But I would try both and just see which one suits your driving style more. Personly I like switching back and forth but I prefer truggy over buggy.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run both at all the races I go to and I like truggy better. It is kind of a floor it and run over what is in the way type of style. If you are just getting started I would say Truggy, the set up is more forgiving and a tad easier to drive. plus if you decide that racing isnt for you a truggy can back yard bash better than a buggy.
RC Lidz
Loose Nut Motorsports
SHANERC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Buggy cause i like buggys !!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

I prefer truggies. I went with a buggy after the MT class died. I did not give it enough time before I gave up on the class and when to truggy, I will admit that much. Buggies can be quite finicky. Honestly I don't think it is cheaper to run them in the tire department either, they wear out tires much faster than truggies do from my experience. Most races I attend , there seems to be a high amount of pro caliber buggy drivers. It can be quite discouraging for a sportsman. Deep pockets and tons of patience and practice are required to have a chance in the buggy class. Another plus to the truggy scene is there are a lot less ttruggy entries at most races. On average we see 4 x as many buggy drivers as truggy drivers in the Southeast, especially at big events.
Futaba 3PM-MX, Hitec and JR digi's
VP-Pro tires
ScroggJL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Both are extremely fun but I prefer the more challenging and precise feel of the buggy. The fact that trucks are so much more forgiving and easy to drive makes them loads of fun. I had an mbx6t and I am going to tell you I felt as if I could just pin the thing and navigate it around the track. But when it comes down to competition I find there are more racers with a buggy. The buggies can't just muscle there way around like a truggy and requires more finesse and precision, to me this is where the challenge comes in. I mean let's face it, it is offroad and the track conditions are not always perfect. Buggy for me.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to tq_racing Send a message via Skype™ to tq_racing

Well i come from the elec racing background so i started running the 1/10 gas truck but then after watching the bigger guys run i wanted to do the same. so i got a buggy and my brother got a truggy. i ran them both and buggy was more my style. i am more i want the car to do what i tell it to right then. where my brother is more i want it to do this and it well get there but it wont look as pretty.

so my vote is buggy. but you really have to try both
tq_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like both. But if I have to pick it would be truggy because around my area there is always more truggy's then buggy's. Buggy is harder to drive because you have to be more precise which I like. The truggy's on our home track are a bit faster then the buggies.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Buggy,
Just because It requires more precision, more concentration, is a much harder field of drivers as the competition is that bit higher, and I can jump in a truggy at any time and be fast.
Whereas I feel if all I drove was truggy, it would be like starting all over again to get anywhere If I was to have a go at driving buggy.
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wich I'm finding out the hard way, from being Truggy first, to trying my hand at Buggy second and finding I feel like a newby again in buggy.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mrbusta Send a message via Skype™ to mrbusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanno View Post
Wich I'm finding out the hard way, from being Truggy first, to trying my hand at Buggy second and finding I feel like a newby again in buggy.
dito i im the same but it realy helps the truggy out my second meet was the buggy nats so yea go in hard i guess just remeber u cant point and ping the car around the track like truggys flanno

RIP BUSTA BB ANGEL
mrbusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I always found truck to be more forgiving than buggy so i would go buggy first and then truck.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

1/8 offroad buggy is THE class right now. Worldwide. You could bring your gear and enter an incredibly competitive event in almost any country. It seems as though truggy, for the most part, is only raced in the US, Canada, Australia, Russia and parts of Asia.

I would say that truggy has made me faster. It's easier to learn the track with a truggy, because it is dramatically easier to keep in the racing line.