R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Default why does my motor keep dying

i have a losi 8ight buggy with a mach 427 it will run like a bat out of hell it will idle forever but when i apply the brake for more then 3 or 4 seconds my motor will shut off frustrated
what should i try
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try turning in your idle screw a 1/16th of a turn. Sounds like the carb opening is closing to much when u hold the breaks.
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Tech Elite

ime sorry ime new to nitro and by "" idle screw do u mean the high speed needle
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

No, the Idle adjustment screw is usually on the neck of the carb. .It's the lower one right below the high speed screw in this pic..
why does my motor keep dying-dyn0897-2.jpg
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Tech Elite

so try 1/16th clock or counter clockwise
ime asuming clockwise
Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t View Post
so try 1/16th clock or counter clockwise
ime asuming clockwise
Yeah, clockwise raises idle speed..
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Tech Elite

thanks man will go give it a run in the morning and hope for the best once again thanks alot man
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When you do this, make sure you check your linkage and make sure it's set correct. There should be a spring on the throttle linkage that pushes back on the carb to make sure the carb is resting on the idle screw and there isn't play when you apply to the breaks. The way to check this is after adjusting the idle screw to get the idle gap you want. Look at the carb and see if the carb closes at all when you apply the brakes. If it does, you need to either adjust you linkage length on the throttle part, or adjust the spring to get pressure against the carb. You will obviously need to remove you carb when you do all of this. You will want about a 0.6mm-1.0mm idle gap. If it's something like 2.0mm for the car to stay running you may need to adjust you low speed needle and lean it out. But if after you adjust your idle gap and it doesn't get smaller after you apply the brakes, you should be good to go. Sorry if this is hard to understand, it is type out on my iPhone. If you need a little more detail of what to do I will get a picture of my linkage and try to explain further. We can also PM each other if you need more detail.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Tech Elite

thanks i understand u explained great i added u to my contacts to reffrence this thanks again
Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Check the clutch tooo......

Sometimes the clutch springs get well unsprung, saggy, streatched, old, tired, sad or just plain beat. That will cause that problem sometimes.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Sometimes the clutch springs get well unsprung, saggy, streatched, old, tired, sad or just plain beat. That will cause that problem sometimes.
+1... sort of... if it dies immediately when you hit the brakes... then it is probably this and not the idle... but your problem sounds like the radio is holding idle for you until you hit brakes... so adjust the idle screw, and trim the radio so it is NOT holding the idle up.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
also if the clutch bearing is seized it will stop the flywheel when the car stops, so make sure that the CB is spinning freely.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjqkz View Post
also if the clutch bearing is seized it will stop the flywheel when the car stops, so make sure that the CB is spinning freely.
hey cb is good clutch shoes are preety worn and time to replace so i am going to get new cb and shoes and give her a shot
Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Tech Master

Hi.

Take a look at the video linked in this thread. There you learn the basic adjustment for the engine.

"the tuning bible"

Have fun
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a similar problem in that my car would not idle, If I left the glow starter connected then it would. I replaced the glow plug and problem fixed.
I think my glow plug was not holding enough heat to help in the compression ignition these engine require.

Anyway, if you can not see anything obvious try that.
boxhead is offline   Reply With Quote