R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Nitro Jammin SCRT10

I have been running 1/8 buggies and truggies for many years, both as nitro and then converted to brushless power. When the 4x4 SC trucks came out I was really hooked, they handled like an 1/8 scale, were fast and much easier on the wallet. So I bought a Jammin SCRT10 1/10 scale SC truck when it came out in December. Ran it as an electric since then and love it, handles really well and I am running a big 550 motor so it is plenty fast. I had a nitro Jammin CRT.5 which the SCRT10 is based on and I had a bunch of spare parts so I figured why not build a second SCRT10 but make it a nitro version using the CRT.5 parts. Jammin is coming out with a factory nitro version but why wait.

I bascially had enough parts to build a second SCRT10 roller, I then added the CRT.5 nitro parts (engine, fuel tank, etc.). Wow, I thought my electric was fast the nitro version was insanely fast. I had to mod a Ofna mini starter box (designed for the CRT.5) to fit the stretched SCRT10 chassis. I added a OS 18TZ to give the heavier SCRT10 more power, and modified the suspension to match the new found power (longer shocks, extended shock towers, larger wheels, etc.).

Electric and nitro Jammin SCRT10 trucks.

Parts from my CRT.5 going onto the SCRT10

OS 18TZ motor
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Looks good. I have alway like nitro over electric and now that they have released the nitro versions of the Hyper 10SC its got me thinking do a nitro conversion. Well maybe i'll give it one season of racing before doing that.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I need to see that when I go to Hot Rod and see you run but I try to go on Sat when I get the chance to race out there, looks like fun.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R2- View Post
I need to see that when I go to Hot Rod and see you run but I try to go on Sat when I get the chance to race out there, looks like fun.
Yeah, the thing is a blast. I know a lot of the guys that race on Saturday at Hot Rods, I enjoy racing outdoors and would love to come out but current work/family committements just won't let me.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Tech Master

I was able to get some track time on the truck this past weekend and as I mentioned the truck was fantastic. But I did notice a few things that could use some improvement. I am sure the factory version will correct these but I like to tinker so here is what I did.

First, the stock CRT.5 fuel tank is 75cc (pretty small), I am pretty sure the factory nitro SCRT will have a bigger tank because the holes in the chassis do not line up with a stock CRT.5 tank. What I did was dig in the parts bin and I found a 125cc tank off of a CEN buggy that was almost a perfect fit. I just needed to move the rear mount over about 1/8" (see the pictures).

Next the CRT.5 battery box is too small and won't allow me to install a battery and rx in the box. So again into the parts bin and I found a box from a SH Z-Car that was a good fit. I had to drill a few holes and I used a technique I learned from the numerous brushless conversion I have performed in the past. To get the holes to line up I made a template from a lexan scrap, I put it on the item (batt/rx tray) and marked where the holes were. I then drilled small pilot holes in the lexan. Next I placed the template on the chassis and marked the hole locations. Drilled and beveled the holes and they matched the new box perfectly.

Last, the CRT.5 mini starter box is too small and I had to manually line up the wheel to start the engine. I want to use a standard starter box so I opened the hole in the chassis slightly and got it to fit on my standard starter box.

Still have some suspension mods to do (waiting on parts) and final tuning of the engine.

New Batt/rx box and stocker

Making a template for drilling holes in the chassis. Placed the clear lexan on the batt/rx box and marked the hole locations.

Place the template on the chassis and marked the holes.

Had to move the rear mount over slightly, instead of drilling a new hole, I made a new mount with screws that were off-set.

Opened up the hole so a standard starter box would work.

New 125cc tank next to the CRT.5 75cc tank.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I'm also a nitro fan, but my son wants one of the electrics. How durable are these, and what parts are prone to breaking that I should stock up on ? Thanks!
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post
I'm also a nitro fan, but my son wants one of the electrics. How durable are these, and what parts are prone to breaking that I should stock up on ? Thanks!
These (SC 4x4 1/10 trucks) are absolutely a blast. My 1/8's are now collecting dust. The SC trucks are fast, handle well and are pretty easy to drive thanks to the 4wd. It is almost like running a 1/8 buggy for half the price. Parts are cheaper (than 1/8 scale) yet pretty durable (compared to 1/10 buggies, 2wd trucks). I have a Slash PE 4x4 and two Jammin SCRT10's (one electric one nitro) and I had a Jammin CRT.5 which the SCRT10 is based on. I have to say the Jammins have been extremely durable, I have broken an lower front a-arm, front bumper and a ballend. On my Slash I have broken 6 rear axles, 1 front axle, one front drive yoke, one lower a-arm and the diffs leak. The only weak spot on the Jammin is the front bumper, it's very fragile, but Jammin has an upgrade in the works. Also the Jammin comes with smaller wheels/tires, they are ok but a lot of people switch to the Slash sized wheels. The Slash 4x4 is a good electric truck (except the axles) for a beginner or non-racer. The Jammin is more for someone that races.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Tech Master

Here is a shot of a stock Jammin SCRT10 next to one that has the Slash sized wheels on it. You can see the stocker is a bit narrower than the modded truck.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Tech Master

Update, got the new tank and radio box installed. I hooked up the linkage, and attached the modified exhaust support. I am running a lipo rx pack so I installed a CCbec to act as an regulator. Got a question, I am currently running a 1/10 scale air filter, but I have a spare 1/8 air filter. Is there any advantage to running the larger filter on a .18 engine? or is it just overkill?

Old 04-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

AWESOME..this thing should just RIP!

I can't see there being any drawbacks to a bigger filter for sure.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Really like that nitro conversion, Great job!

Are those some big bore shocks front and rear on the electric?
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote