R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSPEED View Post
The money is actually in the $600 truggies. Traxxas is a major back yard basher company. Only the slash is at the track solely in the U.S. The high end kits are at every track around the world.
I am going to have to disagree on that. You can ask all hobbystores and I bet 90% of them will say if they had to pick either to have all RTR like the Slash, Revo's, Savages, etc or go with truggies and buggies they will pick the RTR type trucks. The shop I work at RTR's are easily 90% of total sales. Yes truggies and buggies are all over the world, but so are monster trucks, and other 1/10th and 1/8th scale vehicles.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #32
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanty140 View Post
I am going to have to disagree on that. You can ask all hobbystores and I bet 90% of them will say if they had to pick either to have all RTR like the Slash, Revo's, Savages, etc or go with truggies and buggies they will pick the RTR type trucks. The shop I work at RTR's are easily 90% of total sales. Yes truggies and buggies are all over the world, but so are monster trucks, and other 1/10th and 1/8th scale vehicles.
and yet......you run a Mugen it really depends on where you are. ive been to shops that are flooded w/rtr and ive been to shops that despise rtr and have kits from the floor to the ceiling
Jusleanit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I hear you but your speaking about the U.S. Yes 80-90 percent of the hobby stores love their rtr's. Believe it or not the U.S. is a small part of the world wide rc community. To my surprise I found tamiya to be bigger than traxxas in several different countries. Racing in other countries trump what we do here. Especially on road. That's why on a larger scale the kits aer where the money is. Think about this. The average racer has to spend around $1,000 minimum just to get started and that's cheap. The average rtr is half that.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #34
Tech Regular

I really forgot what we were talking about. When TA and TL went to the 1/8th market everyone was doubtful. So, to say a company cannot or will not diversify is a little presumptuous.

Yeah, taking a MT and directly turning it into a 1/8th wouldn't be the brightest idea. I would like to see an attempt though, or here just wasting time thinking about what if's are always fun too.

Sort of like saying would Jordan have 8 rings instead of six if he didnt leave the game for 2 years. I give him 7, being from Houston....lol.
kstoracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
I hear you but your speaking about the U.S. Yes 80-90 percent of the hobby stores love their rtr's. Believe it or not the U.S. is a small part of the world wide rc community. To my surprise I found tamiya to be bigger than traxxas in several different countries. Racing in other countries trump what we do here. Especially on road. That's why on a larger scale the kits aer where the money is. Think about this. The average racer has to spend around $1,000 minimum just to get started and that's cheap. The average rtr is half that.
What you spend means nothing to a hobby store. It's where the profit is. And lots of stuff in the racing department doesn't come close to RTR in terms of profit margin. A store makes more on a Revo package then a complete high end truggy package. Or atleast thats the way it is in my area. I am not denying that in other parts of the world kit's are popular. I guess I should of said racing vehicles compared to none racing vehicles. And other countries other then the US and Canada (which is where I am from) have many popular vehicles other then buggy and truggy (which is not as popular as here in North America). All I am trying to say is, non racing platforms that the average public person buys is a bigger margin of the hobby then the racing margin.

I should mention though that I don't know much about the On-road market so I can't comment on that. What I a talking about is the off road and street basher market.

Last edited by shanty140; 04-15-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #36
Tech Master

Which is why I don't blame a lot of companies from going into the racing vehicle market when some people can say it's all already very crowded. I mean look at how many buggies platforms there are around the world.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
What you spend means nothing to a hobby store. It's where the profit is. And lots of stuff in the racing department doesn't come close to RTR in terms of profit margin. A store makes more on a Revo package then a complete high end truggy package. Or atleast thats the way it is in my area. I am not denying that in other parts of the world kit's are popular. I guess I should of said racing vehicles compared to none racing vehicles. And other countries other then the US and Canada (which is where I am from) have many popular vehicles other then buggy and truggy (which is not as popular as here in North America). All I am trying to say is, non racing platforms that the average public person buys is a bigger margin of the hobby then the racing margin.

I should mention though that I don't know much about the On-road market so I can't comment on that. What I a talking about is the off road and street basher market.
O.K. look at it like this. A basher will by a truck for $500 and make a $200 profit. Then a battery pack $25 $10 profit fuel one gallon $10 profit. Total profit to get started $220

A racer will buy a chassis for $500 make $150 profit an engine for $300 and make a $50-$75 profit, two servos $80 each $20 profit each, tyers $20 a set $10 profit a set, a body $25 $15 profit, paint lets say one bottle $6 $2 profit. At this point we are at $300+ and haven't added in radio, fuel, transponder and receiver.

The average basher will stock some parts. The average racer can go to the pit box and build another car. You tell me where the profit is.
Now I am in no way saying a shop should cater to one class.
Traxxas should at least make an attempt at getting in this market. Loyalist say they don't follow. They need to do something cause they are getting left in the dust. If the D8 can win the worlds I'm sure Slayden can at least give a good showing.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
O.K. look at it like this. A basher will by a truck for $500 and make a $200 profit. Then a battery pack $25 $10 profit fuel one gallon $10 profit. Total profit to get started $220

A racer will buy a chassis for $500 make $150 profit an engine for $300 and make a $50-$75 profit, two servos $80 each $20 profit each, tyers $20 a set $10 profit a set, a body $25 $15 profit, paint lets say one bottle $6 $2 profit. At this point we are at $300+ and haven't added in radio, fuel, transponder and receiver.

The average basher will stock some parts. The average racer can go to the pit box and build another car. You tell me where the profit is.
Now I am in no way saying a shop should cater to one class.
Traxxas should at least make an attempt at getting in this market. Loyalist say they don't follow. They need to do something cause they are getting left in the dust. If the D8 can win the worlds I'm sure Slayden can at least give a good showing.
LMAO $200 profit on a kit. I wish, just doesn't happen. The profit margin you think stores are getting is way off. I can't think of any kit where you are making $200 just on the vehicle. And when 90% of your sales are bashers the store is going to make more money on them. LOL And you would surprised how many bashers come in with a car they have just ran into a curb/tree/car tire/etc and need a new front end and chassis. At the store I currently work at, it makes a lot of it's money on vehicle repairs. HAHA And most racers know how to fix there on car. And at $50+ an hour plus parts you can make a lot of money. A lot of stores can get away with charging this much because it takes a lot less effort to sell a vehicle then to work a few hours on a vehicle when this is supposed to be a hobby. And to some people matinance on a car is not part of the hobby. And even at this price, there always is a line of cars ready to be worked on. And many stores in the area can go as much as $75 an hour. LOL But thats Alberta, Canada for you. The amount of money you make on a product does not relate to how much things cost. If you think stores are making anywhere close to $200 on say a $500 kit you are so off. But thats not to say the store doesn't make money off racers. I work at a hobby store, I know what a store makes on a kit and different parts. But anyways, back on topic, I don't need a person telling me something they think is right when I look at these prices on a daily basis.

Also I want to make sure this isn't coming off the wrong way on a computer. I am not trying to be an ass I am just stating what I and others that work at stores have notice while working at a hobbystore in my area. Everyone is allowed there opinion and thats all good. I am sure this isn't the same at every store in the world.

Last edited by shanty140; 04-16-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #39
Tech Addict

The margin's I posted came from a guy who owned a hobby shop in my area. I didn't say $200 profit for a kit. I was a RTR. I'll tell you how he told me. When an order was placed lets say traxxas. When a revo was ordered he paid $300 for it even less for multiple orders. He then sold them for $530 plus tax. Dude you have to realize you live in Canada. You pay more then we do anyway for anything.

I did forget the dumb ass factor for RTR owners. $75 an hour for repairs done. You should be ashamed of your self for taking advantage of your customers like that. lol Hey if you can get it then get em. A guy in a hobby town paints bodies but he wants $100 a body. I bought my own equipment and learned to do it myself. it paid for it's self after three body's. but that's just me
Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #40
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Hobby stores make way more on stuff like Traxxass and HPI then they do on Mugens and other race kits.....The RTR stuff is always breaking so the customers are constantly buying parts, the profits are in all the replacement parts.... My LHS loves to sell Savages, as they know every weekend the guys will be in buying diffs and other needed parts just to keep the machine running...... The race kits are built too good and they require far less maintenance parts..... The money is in the parts ! not the kits ! thats why hobby stores love MT's
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Shanty is correct on this topic. Hobby shops make more from RTR's, bashers, and beginners than they do with any kind of racing vehicle.

ALLSPEED, you have to realize that many racers dont buy their stuff from hobby shops anymore. Most racers buy their stuff from online stores so therefore their not even supporting their local hobby shops. Hobby shops make more money from bashers than racers. Its as simple as that. You have to consider that their are WAY more bashers than racers so then you have to do a comparison with that as well. Is there a 10 to 1 ratio of bashers to racers? or 8 to 1? Even 5 to 1?

Anyway you look at it, Hobby shops make the majority of their money from bashers and RTR vehicles than they ever will with racing vehicles for the simple fact that the RTR vehicles appeal more to people (beginners/bashers/people who just want to have fun and not be competitive) than the racing aspect does (at least for now).
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #42
Tech Elite

I think we veered off course just a bit.
Slayden to Mugen??
Any updates on this?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #43
Tech Addict

Slayden was only driving for fun. This is from Tim Roberts on another forum

In a rare change of heart, Traxxas has reinstated my team driver status temporarily and has asked me to go to the Shortcourse Showdown April 24-25 near Milwaukee, WI. I will be running in the 2WD mod and 4WD mod classes along with Steve Slayden and Mike Bataille.
one8updragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by one8updragracer View Post
Slayden was only driving for fun. This is from Tim Roberts on another forum

In a rare change of heart, Traxxas has reinstated my team driver status temporarily and has asked me to go to the Shortcourse Showdown April 24-25 near Milwaukee, WI. I will be running in the 2WD mod and 4WD mod classes along with Steve Slayden and Mike Bataille.
Ok, well I guess the obvious questions are why did they take away you're team status and why did the give it back?

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #45
Tech Addict

I think Tim has been busy with R+D work.
one8updragracer is offline   Reply With Quote