i currently have losi 8 t and drove a buggy and loved it
now i am thinking of getting a ofna hyper 7
anyone have this buggy
how do u like it
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i had it and its a great basher but terrible racer, need a bunch of upgrades. but for the same price as the hyper you can get the Ofna Picco which is way better and a little newer of a design. comes with the shocks off the Jammin X2s. but if you can swing it i would spend a little more (i think about 80 bucks) i would get the Jammin X1 if you plan on racing. or for a little more than that or maybe the same price you can get the RC8b RTR and all that is really needed is the big bore shocks. the picco, jammin, and RC8b are all great RTRs for the price. everyone is going to tell you losi but its alot more money so it all depends on how much you want to spend.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i had it and its a great basher but terrible racer, need a bunch of upgrades. but for the same price as the hyper you can get the Ofna Picco which is way better and a little newer of a design. comes with the shocks off the Jammin X2s. but if you can swing it i would spend a little more (i think about 80 bucks) i would get the Jammin X1 if you plan on racing. or for a little more than that or maybe the same price you can get the RC8b RTR and all that is really needed is the big bore shocks. the picco, jammin, and RC8b are all great RTRs for the price. everyone is going to tell you losi but its alot more money so it all depends on how much you want to spend.
losi is just hyped up but no better than jammin or mugen or ofna in my eye
i have a losi 8 t and do love it tho
Old 04-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a 7 and it's a very capable and tough buggy. I did upgrade alot on it though. I've only raced with it once about 5yrs back and did very well, winning my heat races against mugens, kyoshos and other ofna's. You can find them cheap now a days. I'd try to find a PBS version though
Pirate 10
RS4
hyperevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t View Post
losi is just hyped up but no better than jammin or mugen or ofna in my eye
agreed, i have ran jammin for a year but just sold my buggy and slowly switching to O'donnell, waiting on ODs new truggy and then ill get rid of my X2 truggy.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My brother still races his Hyper 7, only upgrade thats been done is big bore shocks. Still a very good buggy in the right hands.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)

so it would be a good buggy for starting out to race
Old 04-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite

if you do not want to spend 100 bucks on socks straight off then NO. but if you dont mind then yes. the Ofna Picco is the same exact price as the hyper 7 but it comes with the Ofna 16mm Super big bore shocks. and it comes with a race legal engine, its a picco based 21 and it will last a good while and the one that comes with the buggy is extremely fast for a sport engine. the hyper now comes with a hyper 28, its pretty fast but will only last about 5 gallons if your lucky and its not a "legal" engine, you could get away with it at club races but bigger races someone will complain.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Default What upgrades would you recommend for a hyper 7 TQ Black edition when racing?

What upgrades would you recommend for a hyper 7 TQ Black edition when racing?

A friend has just brought one
ACE DS1015-Throttle/Brake.
htcurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
Tech Elite

big bore shocks!! thats the biggest and best upgrade you can do. ofna 16mm will work fine. also a little better of an engine wouldnt hurt either, i would get the Nova 21 BF limited, they are 150 bucks and worth every penny. if you get that engine get an Odonnell cooling head, it helps alot.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
big bore shocks!! thats the biggest and best upgrade you can do. ofna 16mm will work fine. also a little better of an engine wouldnt hurt either, i would get the Nova 21 BF limited, they are 150 bucks and worth every penny. if you get that engine get an Odonnell cooling head, it helps alot.
O.k thanks a lot for the quick response, ill let my friend know. I guess hyper 9 shocks would be a good upgrade,with extended ball ends. All though i thought maybe a few other bits need changing. At the moment he will stick with the hyper 21 3 port as it really is quick. All though im unsure on the quality of these engines. Any more advice on this would be appreciated. Would like to know how solid or not these hyper engines are. Thanks
ACE DS1015-Throttle/Brake.
htcurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcurt View Post
O.k thanks a lot for the quick response, ill let my friend know. I guess hyper 9 shocks would be a good upgrade,with extended ball ends. All though i thought maybe a few other bits need changing. At the moment he will stick with the hyper 21 3 port as it really is quick. All though im unsure on the quality of these engines. Any more advice on this would be appreciated. Would like to know how solid or not these hyper engines are. Thanks
I have the Hyper 7 TQ and I race it. You can find every part you need for them on Ebay, and cheap as heck.
I bought a full set of 16mm big bores off ebay for 74.95 of a seller named Nitro master.
Also upgrade your shock towers to these-
http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-Hyper-7-SHO...item3efe53fb37

As far as the engine goes, I have already blown mine, the engine wont last with the punishment it takes during a race.
I installed a Dynamite .21 for $119.00 and have been very pleased with it.

I love the buggy, I have purchased all the extra parts off ebay, I think I have enough to build another complete buggy and then some.
Picco P6TH plug
Byrons 20%
lsbully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcurt View Post
the hyper 9 shocks arent the same as the ofna 16mm that comes on the jammins, get the ofna 16mm ones not hyper 9 ones. they are 50 for a pair, you also can get the odonnell big bores for 35 bucks.

on the engine, it is fine until about 4 gallons get ran threw it, it just gets extremely weak after 4 gallons and also looses it tune easier after about 5 gallons.

but other than that the hyper 7 is a solid buggy.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jbright33

if you got a losi truggy y not buy the buggy? some parts are interchangable so less parts, dont have to buy 2 brands. when one setup works on truggy you can semi copy it to buggy and same from bug to trug. theres so many more benifits of running same brand..