R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default looking for info on camber,toe-out-in,etc...

hey guy's,i am looking for some info on things like camber,toe-out-in,ride height,droop,shock position,sway bars,etc....another words,i would like to find maybe a site or video(dvd)that would explain what each one of these do to the handling of the vehicle...something that would tell if you do this,this is what could be the out come....i am totally new as to how set-up works..i have a losi8/8t 1.0 and i have been running the basic set-up with a few little changes(mainly diff fluids)..but last night at my local race,there was a guy that helped me do a few changes(mainly changed to a long steering akerman,went from a 2.7mm sway bar to a 2.3 in the rear,also changed the rear shock position on the arm) and man what difference(this was done on the truggy)...really didn't have time to explain what all this did and why,but it made a big noticeable change..the truck was SO much smoother through the turns and help plant the rear end out of the turns.. i know tires are a huge factor(got that covered)but i would really like to know what each one of these setting's do..thanx in advance Donald...............
dhunt488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Tech Regular

check out some of the RC Car mag's monthly articles on tuning...also, get yourself the bible of car adjustments and keep it in your pit box...the xray tuning manual is unmatched imo - pages 36-44 of the xray manual...

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=3924
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Download the Hudy Manual.....everyone has one in the pitbag whether they admit it or not It is the most detailed setup book that I have seen. Has everything thing you need and tons of good info.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...a79c5117c1403b
Kalgard Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What you want is the Hudy off-road & Truggy setup book. It really explains all the different settings and what they would affect quite nicely.

Here's a link to some more info regarding setup etc.

And finally, here's a link to a list of youtube videos that someone else posted on here.

That should keep you busy for a while.
Rampokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt488 View Post
hey guy's,i am looking for some info on things like camber,toe-out-in,ride height,droop,shock position,sway bars,etc....another words,i would like to find maybe a site or video(dvd)that would explain what each one of these do to the handling of the vehicle...something that would tell if you do this,this is what could be the out come....i am totally new as to how set-up works..i have a losi8/8t 1.0 and i have been running the basic set-up with a few little changes(mainly diff fluids)..but last night at my local race,there was a guy that helped me do a few changes(mainly changed to a long steering akerman,went from a 2.7mm sway bar to a 2.3 in the rear,also changed the rear shock position on the arm) and man what difference(this was done on the truggy)...really didn't have time to explain what all this did and why,but it made a big noticeable change..the truck was SO much smoother through the turns and help plant the rear end out of the turns.. i know tires are a huge factor(got that covered)but i would really like to know what each one of these setting's do..thanx in advance Donald...............
Sounds like he got you in the ballpark, i suggest talking with the fastest guy who runs your car for a base setup. Then try one change at a time and get the experience of what it does. You can read about it on the internet all day long but i suggest you read a losi 8ight maual in the back. They explain stuff pretty good in there.

Ackermann is a big change, for example. some changes are a minor feeling. Toe out and toe in camber gain are some things you can read on and grasp the theory but feeling the changes on the track are where it's at.

Takes time you won't have it a weekend...or a week.... it takes time. Then you will know some stuff just by looking at a new layout.

Tires is like 80% of it though. The tire game is quite important. bad tires will ruin your handling. Go by feel for you but most likely whats working for others will prolly work for you.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Neccros Send a message via Yahoo to Neccros

Not to thread jack but does any of this info translate to 10th scale offroad as well??

Or does anyone have links to similar info for 10th scale????
Neccros is offline   Reply With Quote