Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Flaming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Engine Flaming?

Hey guys. Any idea on what you think the problem could be.

I am running a trinity extech .21. It has been run for over 1 year every race that I have attended. Guessing about 7 to 9 gallons of fuel through it if not more.

The idle is fine power is fine and runs great until it gets to temp. Once it gets to temp around the 8th or 9th lap if it sits with no gas for more than 3 seconds it will flame. Only will flame once it gets to temp otherwise will idle forever.

I did notice the front bearing is leaking slightly. Could this be it?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap

I am running a trinity extech .21. It has been run for over 1 year every race that I have attended. Guessing about 7 to 9 gallons of fuel through it if not more.

The idle is fine power is fine and runs great until it gets to temp. Once it gets to temp around the 8th or 9th lap if it sits with no gas for more than 3 seconds it will flame. Only will flame once it gets to temp otherwise will idle forever.

Thanks guys.
hows the compression bro?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Thanks guys.
if its not the tune, its most likely lack of compression. when the compression is low the engine will have a hard time idling. this is the #1 sign of it being time for a new engine. Not too many ppl get there engines to this point cause most end up with some sort of premature failure from lack of attention.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Agreed. Check your compression. If the tune is good that would be the number 1 thing to look for IMO.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Guys. Compression is great. It still takes some good effort to spin it all the way around. When the piston gets to the bottom I can still feel that resistance.

In fact I can hold the fly wheel with channel locks and it will not spin over on its own.

Oh and I thought I was a little lean so I richened the high 2 and then 3 hours. Was not lean at all and had the tune nearly what I would call perfect.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Guys. Compression is great. It still takes some good effort to spin it all the way around. When the piston gets to the bottom I can still feel that resistance.

In fact I can hold the fly wheel with channel locks and it will not spin over on its own.

Oh and I thought I was a little lean so I richened the high 2 and then 3 hours. Was not lean at all and had the tune nearly what I would call perfect.
extechs are notorious for wearing out crankpins fairly quick , i would say you got good life out of the engine and its time for a new one . choose wisely as there are many great choices out there , you know my favorite engines

and you know joes favorite engines , you know ron hopkins favorite engines

some engines take more attention to detail and some just run no matter what you do to them . i would recommend OS or mugen nija engines for you personally .

are you going through plugs fairly quickly? can you feel rod slop?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

see if it will "hold" compression... get the piston to top dead center androck teh flywheel back and forth w/o going below the ports. if you feel any blow by and the compression going down after just a couple "rocks" then its no good. just feeling the "pop" cold doesn't really mean the compression is good. also i would check and see how the bearings feel at bottom dead center... if it feels notchy or gritty its the bearing which wouldn't surprise me.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by houston
extechs are notorious for wearing out crankpins fairly quick , i would say you got good life out of the engine and its time for a new one . choose wisely as there are many great choices out there , you know my favorite engines

and you know joes favorite engines , you know ron hopkins favorite engines

some engines take more attention to detail and some just run no matter what you do to them . i would recommend OS or mugen nija engines for you personally .

are you going through plugs fairly quickly? can you feel rod slop?
Why OS engines. Just curious. I heard they are hard to tune. Not going through plugs at all. Last one has a few race days on it and the one before that lasted over a gallon before I decided to just change it out just because.

Originally Posted by jpalessi
see if it will "hold" compression... get the piston to top dead center androck teh flywheel back and forth w/o going below the ports. if you feel any blow by and the compression going down after just a couple "rocks" then its no good. just feeling the "pop" cold doesn't really mean the compression is good. also i would check and see how the bearings feel at bottom dead center... if it feels notchy or gritty its the bearing which wouldn't surprise me.
I will try this once I get some time to pull it out.

I do want something that no matter what you do to it if just performs. Man the extech was really good to me but seems it would be a risk going with another one.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Why OS engines. Just curious. I heard they are hard to tune. Not going through plugs at all. Last one has a few race days on it and the one before that lasted over a gallon before I decided to just change it out just because.

I will try this once I get some time to pull it out.

I do want something that no matter what you do to it if just performs. Man the extech was really good to me but seems it would be a risk going with another one.
i would deff not go with another extech as the support isnt there like it was when we where doing them or even when chad was still there.. and much like our new engines (JS) a monkey could tune a OS.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's actually the exact opposite of OS engines. Like Joe said, a monkey could tune them.

As for your issue, if compression and tune are good the next things to look for would be a worn crank pin/rod bushing or gritty bearings. Both of which can cause an engine to flame out. I would also check the compression with the engine hot. Even heated up you should still be able to feel a little bit of a "pop".