Wiki Posts
Search

AVID vs Ready Rollers Bearings!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Joor
I have gone ahead and turned it on. This is in Beta mode and still some more programming to be done. I won't be making a press release about the FlexKit program until I feel comfortable with it and it has more kits available. That being said, you guys are the first to see this and it is the first of its kind in RC!

No better way to explain it then to see it for yourself. You won't believe the power of this thing and the options you have. http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/
Freaking AWESOME!!!

I'll be placing an order today or tomorrow!

One thing you might do.. And this is just a suggestion... Add the Diff Balls as an option to the applicable vehicles. Like I'm gonna buy a bearing set for my B44 and my B4... But I'm gonna have to go look up again what diff balls they use.

Just a suggestion to make an already awesome idea maybe a touch better.

GREAT WORK!

-David
Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is the next addition actually, an optional section at the bottom for other items Avid sells. For instance Nitro cars will have the Indo Brakes listed.

The other suggestion has been to give a description of what the bearing goes to, for instance, clutch, steering, wheels, diffs, and so forth. I may do this but that may possibly be way too much work!!! The way I see it, if you know you need more clutch bearings, more then likely you already know what size they are.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

That is cool. I can see why that would take some time to set up. Nice work David.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ready rollers
That is cool. I can see why that would take some time to set up. Nice work David.
Thanks Jerome. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I quit working on it, LOL.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

That is really cool David! Dont want to jump the gun but in the future are you going to add onroad cars as well?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Very cool David.. Looking forward to seeing some for the HB D8/D8T. I can see why it is taking time to get set up as well.. But, looks like you have it lined out eally well..
Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Jeremy - Yes it will. The ones in there are mainly just what I knew off the top of my head. It has been a long time since I was in the Onroad side of things so that will take some research

Scotty - All the popular kits will be there in due time, obviously the World Champion.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW

man i have no words to explain my joy, this is every racer's dream David, great job and man it makes life easier to get more bearings of a kind then buying the whole kit again or having to look for it in another place.

now, my question, whats the differneces between the revolution and the rubber?? does the revolution have one side rubber and one side metal??

Great job David

cheers

Ali
Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Avid all the way !
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Ali - That is correct, I invented the Revolution seal in late 2003 because 99% of the bearings we use in RC are paired together with a shaft or enclosed in a case so only one side needs to be rubber. Rubber seals create the tightest seal available which protects against dirt and dust but at the cost of friction.

I always suggest racers to run the Revolutions because they wrench on their cars. The Revolutions will last a tad shorter then a rubber shield if not maintained. The reason why is the grease has more of a chance of flinging out a bit on the metal side where as on a double rubber seal it will be held in place better.

FYI - All but 4 of the 30+ National Level Championships Avid has won have been won on the $1 Revolutions bearings. The other 4 were by Scott Kimbrow in his Kyosho 1/8th Scale On-Road Nitro using Ceramic Revolutions and hopefully his Serpent soon!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey David,

thanks for the fast answer, i guess ill stick with the all rubber bearings, i have a bad experience with the half/ half bearings, i bought an Ultimate racing bearing set for my 8ight, same thing side metal and side rubber, they didnt even hold up for one race (3 quals of 10 minutes and a 45min Amain) when i took them apart, some had the metal side banged and balls out of the case and the others just lost the metal shield

i think all rubber bearings last longer and better for our track (sandy and dusty)

cheers

Ali
Old 04-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Well that is not good. It is always hard to tell what cause things to fail with so many random circumstance. Just and FYI, Avid has a 30 day money back guarantee on stuff like that.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Joor
Jeremy - Yes it will. The ones in there are mainly just what I knew off the top of my head. It has been a long time since I was in the Onroad side of things so that will take some research

Scotty - All the popular kits will be there in due time, obviously the World Champion.
BTW D8/D8T is 10 - 8x16, 8 - 8x14, then steering 5x10x? and CB 5x10-5x12 depending on clutch...
Old 04-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

This is awesome.. Now I can just build a kit for my 2.0 with the 8x16x5 instead of the 8x14x5's and having to order the extra 8x16 on top for my upgraded hubs.

Awesome job and way to think outside the box since a lot of us now will mod stuff for bigger bearings. IE Losi 2.0 Fr/Rear Spindles and carriers.

Plus I get my Avid's in 2 days tops everytime. Gotta love living up the road (Dallas) from Houston where Avid is based.

Ali - I think you will be very impressed with the Revolutions. My Losi 2.0b used to eat the 1/2x3/4 inner bearing on the axels. I use all revolutions in my car now and have had the same 1/2x3/4 bearings in for almost 2 gallons now and they have no binding issues or any grinding. These bearings are top notch I say this because I don't maintain my bearings at all, but hey when you "can" get up to 2 gallons on a set who cares plus throwing away $1 is easier then throwing away $11 for only 2 stock 1/2x3/4 bearings that Losi charges.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
Hey David,

thanks for the fast answer, i guess ill stick with the all rubber bearings, i have a bad experience with the half/ half bearings, i bought an Ultimate racing bearing set for my 8ight, same thing side metal and side rubber, they didnt even hold up for one race (3 quals of 10 minutes and a 45min Amain) when i took them apart, some had the metal side banged and balls out of the case and the others just lost the metal shield

i think all rubber bearings last longer and better for our track (sandy and dusty)

cheers

Ali
Hey bro... Just a heads up... And your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't dismiss the revolutions based on your experience with another companies bearings.

Myself and alot of my close racing buddies have been using the Revolutions in ALL sorts of environments and have NEVER had a failure like the one you describe.

As a matter of fact I've just never had one have a "failure" at all... They just get gritty over time like any other bearing and need to be replaced.

Just my .02... I know I couldn't be happier than I am with these Revolutions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.