Wiki Posts
Search

Just ordered a AE RC8RS RTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default Just ordered a AE RC8RS RTR

I have been going back and forth about what I wanted with price being a huge issue. I was very close to getting a hyper 7 TQ Black, a CEN matrix, or a Ofna Picco. I just didn't feel good about the quality. Anyways, I stumbled upon the RC8RS at Tower and got everything I needed for $556 out the door. I am also set up on easy pay so I have 2 more months to pay it.

Who has this car and what are your thoughts on it? How is the stock motor and radio? Do you feel it handles well? I plan to play around with it on a local BMX track, RC track, and hit the occasional construction site.

Here is the link to what I bought. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ0861
Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Prophet

i never owned a rc8 but i know a, couple of guys who have owned them.
are you racing with it or bashing i can, tell you what you should upgrade.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

that is the same as there old kit pretty much, but i would get the new shock towers and the 16mm big bore shocks for it also. also the steering servo will need to be changed quick, probably after you jump it for the first time. but other than that its a solid buggy.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

I hope to race it eventually, but I will be bashing most of the time. I hate the term "bashing", because I don't plan on doing flips off a thirty foot tall pile of dirt. I thought the steering servo was decent enough to get me by? I know there are some "must do" hop ups, but I would like to enjoy this for a while instead of just dumping money into it.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mbogosia
I hope to race it eventually, but I will be bashing most of the time. I hate the term "bashing", because I don't plan on doing flips off a thirty foot tall pile of dirt. I thought the steering servo was decent enough to get me by? I know there are some "must do" hop ups, but I would like to enjoy this for a while instead of just dumping money into it.

i wouldnt say the stock servo for the steering is good, that should be your first upgrade for your steering, its not that it wont last its just the stock servo doesnt have, enough holding power.

get a steering servo at least, i say 130 oz of torque. the throttle servo on it should be fine maybe.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

I see what your saying. I am going to try to just let it come in and roll with it for a bit. At least until I either break something, or get through the last of the 3 payments. Although, I just found a list of some things to have as spares that I might order since they are cheap.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mbogosia
I see what your saying. I am going to try to just let it come in and roll with it for a bit. At least until I either break something, or get through the last of the 3 payments. Although, I just found a list of some things to have as spares that I might order since they are cheap.

dont forget a receiver pack, i would remmend a 1500 mah one.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

the stock servos really are not that bad. mine lasted me a decent amount of time but they just created a lot of slop. if you start racing definitely get the rc8b shock towers and the new big bore shocks. best upgrade ive ever done to mine... but after the servos lol

the engine is decent. i thought it was really good till i bought a race .21.. i couldnt tell you how the radio is though. i broke mine in with it and then switched to my spektrum.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tc5 man
dont forget a receiver pack, i would remmend a 1500 mah one.

The combo I ordered has a 1800mah so hopefully that will be okay. Good to hear on the servos. I just need them to last and be acceptable for a couple months of bashing and practicing on the track.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

I can tell you from experience this:

If you plan on seriously racing this truck, then play with it have fun, then go buy and RC8T CE. You will spend almost as much upgrading it as just buying a new one. Transfer the items you need and have fun.

Upgrades in order that I made them:

Servos
Motor (Get a good .21 (The .28 it comes with just won't cut it)(B5, Reedy, Nova, take your pic)
Transponder
Shocks
CF Towers
Turnbuckles
Chassis (BCE)
Alum rear hub carriers (Plastic ones break alot)
Forward Battery Mount
And many more little things...

As you can see it starts to add up, easier and cheaper to buy a CE up front rather then upgrading... While some of the items listed are not "upgrades" for the base chassis, they are required, but it will add up fast and before you know it, you've spent as much as buying a new one...
Attached Thumbnails Just ordered a AE RC8RS RTR-photo0237.jpg