R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Rc Pro Series Cap on entries?????Huhhhh.....

I've been racing for 20 years and I've never had to worry about signing up early and wondering if I can go to a local race. I can understand a National race or an invitational, but the RC pro series was supposed to let everyone compete with the better drivers, as the years go by the race gets more serious, and the average racer, like me, gets put off by the seriousness of the RC pro series races. We have some great tracks in Texas. San Antonio, Austin, Houston, are my local or regional tracks and in the past we tried to increase the turnout to keep the hobby going and the track paid for. Since the RC pro series has come along the local club level racing has declined. Everyone is going to the rc pro the Texas state series, too much focus is on these races and not on local racing, and so during each of those races the club racing suffers, and to top it off there is a cap of 150 entries, and usually even that is ok, but there are more classes now with electric 1/8th buggy and sc trucks and the list is growing, but for me, a die hard 1/8th expert driver the limited entries in my class along with the slowing local racing due to these serious races kinda takes away from the fun. All I hear is, you better sign up, are you going, call the track and see if you can go, that's rediculous. 250 racers is perfect for a race, the problem with going late is because of the newer classes, and really buggy truggy, sportsman and expert is all we need for those races. We could have a seperate race for just electric and shortcourse on a different day. Let the race be about the racing class, and limiting entries is frustrating for those who have to plan for racing.......Honestly I've not enjoyed the rc pro races I've attended and it's getting more irritating. I guess I'm a local series and club racer fast guy, the more serious the races get the more turned off I am......

Tell me I'm the only one, I doubt it......
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

youre the only one
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I guess its just too exciting racing for that tin plate change tray with a vinyl sticker on it.
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
I guess its just too exciting racing for that tin plate change tray with a vinyl sticker on it.
Perfect discription of the trophy..
Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ruune Send a message via AIM to Ruune Send a message via Yahoo to Ruune

That was in response to the Texas event last month, where there were too many entries and the mains ended at 5:30am the next day. Many people got there early saturday morning, only to be there until early sunday morning... then drive back to wherever after over 24 hours of no sleep.

however... with the size and popularity of this series, I wholeheartedly support the notion of two-day events.
Ruune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know this doesnt apply to all tracks. But some can't handle more then 150 entries. And it would be easier having an entry limit that works for all tracks instead of it changing every leg of the series.

LOL about the serving plater trophies. But compared to some trophies there a lot better.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntmachine View Post
Hey... I have one of those. Our rcpro race was pretty weak. It was my first big race and I was unimpressed. But I would do it again if I had a chance.
E
Old 04-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

IMO, it's not JUST RCPro. At least not here in the North East.We don't have a State series, just the Regionals. Seems every other w/end, there's a trophy race within a 3 hour drive for most. Weekly club racing has all but died.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Why not just add on another day. At the nitro challenge in Az this past Feb there were 300+ entiries and it ran very very smooth. Practice was controlled which was a huge plus as far as I am concerned and then 3 rounds of 7 min quals. Truggy mains on sat and Buggy on Sun. It ran smooth over the 5 days. Then the following month at Silverstate in Las Vegas there were over 300+ entries and it ran smooth over the 4 days. We were even done in time every day for a reasonable dinner around 7-7:30. So whats wrong with adding more time to the event??? Its not un-dooable.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroOB4You View Post
IMO, it's not JUST RCPro. At least not here in the North East.We don't have a State series, just the Regionals. Seems every other w/end, there's a trophy race within a 3 hour drive for most. Weekly club racing has all but died.
damn, don't say that club racin is dead up there. i will be in Mass. by the 2nd of next month. i was looking forward to racing in the north east. I will miss running nitro year round though, down here in texas.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yeah. Don't get me wrong. There IS a place to race almost every week. But this area seems to, for the most part, have fallen victim to the "traveling circus" syndrom. I have heard, though can't confirm, that RCMadness in Enfield gets a decent weekly crowd...20-30 each buggy/truggy. If that's right, then they'd be the best place to get into a routine with.
The good thing though, is that most these ( those that I linked to in the thread you started) tracks are within a two hour drive of each other.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

I can second that RC madness does get a decent weekly turnout so you should be fine there. Once in a while it may be a poor turnout but for the most part you'll have a consistent place to go if you don't want to travel. The new track has just been built by the way
jglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglaze View Post
I can second that RC madness does get a decent weekly turnout so you should be fine there. Once in a while it may be a poor turnout but for the most part you'll have a consistent place to go if you don't want to travel. The new track has just been built by the way
i will be checking this place out, it is nitro, right? the web site says "off road" racing on sat, but doesn't say electric or nitro. sorry for hijacking this thread.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to dlovett2361 Send a message via Skype™ to dlovett2361

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I've been racing for 20 years and I've never had to worry about signing up early and wondering if I can go to a local race. I can understand a National race or an invitational, but the RC pro series was supposed to let everyone compete with the better drivers, as the years go by the race gets more serious, and the average racer, like me, gets put off by the seriousness of the RC pro series races. We have some great tracks in Texas. San Antonio, Austin, Houston, are my local or regional tracks and in the past we tried to increase the turnout to keep the hobby going and the track paid for. Since the RC pro series has come along the local club level racing has declined. Everyone is going to the rc pro the Texas state series, too much focus is on these races and not on local racing, and so during each of those races the club racing suffers, and to top it off there is a cap of 150 entries, and usually even that is ok, but there are more classes now with electric 1/8th buggy and sc trucks and the list is growing, but for me, a die hard 1/8th expert driver the limited entries in my class along with the slowing local racing due to these serious races kinda takes away from the fun. All I hear is, you better sign up, are you going, call the track and see if you can go, that's rediculous. 250 racers is perfect for a race, the problem with going late is because of the newer classes, and really buggy truggy, sportsman and expert is all we need for those races. We could have a seperate race for just electric and shortcourse on a different day. Let the race be about the racing class, and limiting entries is frustrating for those who have to plan for racing.......Honestly I've not enjoyed the rc pro races I've attended and it's getting more irritating. I guess I'm a local series and club racer fast guy, the more serious the races get the more turned off I am......

Tell me I'm the only one, I doubt it......

I want to make a small point the RCPro Texas State Series are only 1 day events and have always been one day events.
The divisional have always been 2 day events with a larger entry limit. Up to this year we never had a issue with letting all race that wanted to. At Houston this year we try unlimited and it did not work out and I learned from my mistake. So I have had to be tighter on entries. The point of the Texas Series was to bring racing to more people that were scared to go to big events and hold down expenses and it has done that. I had no idea that the series would get this large. Nor did I see that we would hit entry limits in hours. But you also have to realize that people sign up for events with the hope to go and never show up.
In fact I have racers call me and beg for spots at their home tracks and then never show up, taking a spot from a racer that would have. With the tighting of entries we will make the program be done quicker. As far as classes that are in the state series that was ask for by the RACERS! I may drop classes next year after I see how the series goes. Meredith not sure why you think RCPro has hurt Texas, all I see is RC Racing growing and getting stronger.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovett2361 View Post
Meredith not sure why you think RCPro has hurt Texas, all I see is RC Racing growing and getting stronger.
Your not seeing the forest for the trees.

I have been around from the beginning of Rc Pro series, and it takes away from local series races and club racing. Sponsored racers are so concerned with winning a big race they forget about the meat n potatoes of rc. Leaving the regular races with low turnouts and confused new racers. I have witnesed the decline of club racing and it started with the Rc Pro type races. I enjoy the benefit races that help kids, but as far as low cost, you are wrong. Guys get there early and practice and that takes coin to get there early and race all weekend. It's not really a one day race. Driving to Dallas from houston is a long way to complete the series. Harlingen and so on. It's not anyone's fault. It's just happened. I would rather drive to Austin for a club race than go to a big race, but there is always a big race and the club organization has suffered. tracks can't stay around when only one to three big races come each year to each track, and add that up over a year for each track, and that's alot of missed club races at each track. I don't care how big rc gets. I just want to race every weekend and the rc pro cuts into that.