R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #16
Tech Elite
 
Teufel Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sparks Nv.
Posts: 2,134
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Last season there was a simular theam near where I race.

There were four different race series going on most of the summer and some of those series conflicted with each other on the same weekend or even day. What happened was many racers had to make a decision on which series race to go to. Over all race entries were down, club and series races. Part was the economy and the other was the schedualing conflicts between the different series races. So I kind of see both sides here.

My hat is off to anyone who sets out to put together a series of races at different locations for any reason. It's no small feat. I have had the chance to attend a couple of the RC Pro Series races in Nor Cal and have liked them. Big race feel with a one day club race mix. Putting a limit on entries for a series race is kind of a need at times. Race days can get pretty long if not. There are execptions and depending on the track, race program used, and a few other things, the entry limit can be bigger or smaller. It's a call that has to be made by the Series Director.

My question would be that if there is a entry limit and that limit is reached pretty quick, why are those that cannot race that race not going to another race to race? Seems to me that there are club races that those racers could go to. With that being said, if those racers chose not to go to a club race then it is pretty hard to say it is the fault of the series for a low club race turnout. Yet I do understand that on a series race day, many club races on that same day can be lower than normal. It's the nature of the beast.
__________________
J.Mikoliczyk

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #17
Tech Adept
 
dlovett2361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 107
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to dlovett2361 Send a message via Skype™ to dlovett2361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Your not seeing the forest for the trees.

I have been around from the beginning of Rc Pro series, and it takes away from local series races and club racing. Sponsored racers are so concerned with winning a big race they forget about the meat n potatoes of rc. Leaving the regular races with low turnouts and confused new racers. I have witnesed the decline of club racing and it started with the Rc Pro type races. I enjoy the benefit races that help kids, but as far as low cost, you are wrong. Guys get there early and practice and that takes coin to get there early and race all weekend. It's not really a one day race. Driving to Dallas from houston is a long way to complete the series. Harlingen and so on. It's not anyone's fault. It's just happened. I would rather drive to Austin for a club race than go to a big race, but there is always a big race and the club organization has suffered. tracks can't stay around when only one to three big races come each year to each track, and add that up over a year for each track, and that's alot of missed club races at each track. I don't care how big rc gets. I just want to race every weekend and the rc pro cuts into that.
Meredith, racers are not forced to race a series they CHOSE to race a series. Doesn't matter if it is a state series or several state series. Racers want to race. Some don;t mind traveling and some do, that is their choice. That is why the series is a 4 races and the finals, to allow time for the tracks to have all the club races they want. RCPro is not the only series that are out there. So I guess I don;t see your point. You say it hurts then why does every track in Texas want a series race evry year? The reason they don;t is to keep from hurting the local racing scene. Looking at the HARC points most of those guys with some exceptions like to travel and race as well. I guess we will never see eye to eye, seems you made this point last year as well.
__________________
RC Pro Series
www.rcproseries.com
dlovett2361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #18
Tech Adept
 
RC Pro Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 223
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to RC Pro Aus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Your not seeing the forest for the trees.

I have been around from the beginning of Rc Pro series, and it takes away from local series races and club racing. Sponsored racers are so concerned with winning a big race they forget about the meat n potatoes of rc. Leaving the regular races with low turnouts and confused new racers. I have witnesed the decline of club racing and it started with the Rc Pro type races. I enjoy the benefit races that help kids, but as far as low cost, you are wrong. Guys get there early and practice and that takes coin to get there early and race all weekend. It's not really a one day race. Driving to Dallas from houston is a long way to complete the series. Harlingen and so on. It's not anyone's fault. It's just happened. I would rather drive to Austin for a club race than go to a big race, but there is always a big race and the club organization has suffered. tracks can't stay around when only one to three big races come each year to each track, and add that up over a year for each track, and that's alot of missed club races at each track. I don't care how big rc gets. I just want to race every weekend and the rc pro cuts into that.
Dont come to the RC PRO races then, start your own track and race there, im sure you can find some like minded people to play with. You have no idea on the time and effort put in by everybody involved in a RC PRO event, for you to start a thread and bash the series is just plain wrong.

Give Carlton and the guys a call and ask them about the 18 hour days that goes into putting races on around the country then have a think about your position, I think you are being a little selfish mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
WWW.RCPROPRODUCTS.COM , TECNOPOWER MOTOR, JVD-RC, DIALED INC
RC Pro Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

I'm from Texas and will get to start racing this year finally.

Granted I will only be able to race the State series and RC Pro series at Indy RC which is my local track, but will say recently our track has had a big decline in club racing.

Not sure the reason, but it sucks in one way, but is cool in another with the amount of open track time there is, and it's indoor so weather is never an issue.

IMO I think it's about to come back, and our extremely odd winter that Texas had this year played a part in the slow down. We finally have another track at Mike's Hobby shop in Carrollton Tx about to open up in the next few months, and that will be an outdoor track. (So stoked and can't wait)

The one thing that I have seen though is that once the races are open for sign up they go quick and I mean really quick. I was going to try to hit the Houston race, but learned that you have to either sign up the day it opens, or just contact the track and ask directly what day sign up's go live so you can jump on ASAP.

I will say though I am surprised with how big MX is here in Texas as well as NASCAR that the RC scene is extremely smaller then say the California scene. Being born and rasied in Texas and used to us doing everything as big as possible, and almost never being outdone it's just a little odd. More so that I live in Dallas and there isn't anything in this area we don't have. We a team in all major sports within the DFW area, Stadiums for events as well as a NASCAR track, an amazing golf course where a Major PGA event is held every year (Byron Nelson). Just odd, but at least we have something and not nothing at all.
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
Tech Adept
 
dlovett2361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 107
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to dlovett2361 Send a message via Skype™ to dlovett2361
Default

Actually the date that RCSignup opens for events is posted on the rcpro website in the race calender. They normally open a month in advance. We thought last year that 4 days to fill up was fast, this year has been far from the normal for that. Looking forward to having another track in the Dallas area as well.
__________________
RC Pro Series
www.rcproseries.com
dlovett2361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

Ya I'm finding all that out now as I start finding all these sites I need to sign up on.

Won't miss any of the others plus if I don't sign up its because I don't have the OK from the wife to attend that race.
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #22
Tech Elite
 
allan42r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: OSWEGO IL.
Posts: 2,602
Default

i guess we dont even have a state pro series this year in il.
__________________
Pinky kisses better than mason's mom
allan42r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic
 
RC Pro 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South of sanity
Posts: 974
Default Awards

As far as the awards go some like them some don't. I would like to find something else but there are a lot of problems associated with that.

Lets take last year as an example. We did 2550 awards just for the Division races and Finals. Has anyone priced doing that many decals?
Shipping awards to each event can be ridiculously expensive we did the wood plaques for 2 years and it cost about $80 an event just for shipping. So the plates are less weight and cuts that cost down.
Last year we spent $35,000 on awards. We could do nicer awards but we would have to reduce how many we did for each class and might need to cut out or reduce the $30,000 - $40,000 cash payout we do each year for the pay classes.
Or go up on entry fees like everyone else has, I would rather keep entry fees the same.

RC Pro pays for the awards and shirts before the event ever takes place.
Keep in mind only half the entry fee goes to RC Pro for the awards, payout and free shirts for the early signups plus travel and pay for the RC Pro official. The other half goes to the track.
__________________
RC Pro Products - Alpha Plus importer for North America
RC Pro Products, Alpha Plus Engines, A Plus Pipes, Voodoo Nitro Fuel & Glow Plugs.
RC Pro 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic
 
RC Pro 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South of sanity
Posts: 974
Default

As far as too many big races.

Yes there are!
As far as it is RC Pro's fault? LMAO!

RC Pro was the 1st and only National Offroad Series and since it started almost every track or group of tracks in every state at some time or another has tried to run a series.
Why? because racers seem to like them and it's a way for tracks to have larger races and some people do it thinking they will make a lot of money.
Also in the last 10 years every track seems to schedule 1-3 big races a year vs how many big races there were 10 years ago which might have been a dozen nationwide.

If you want to blame RC Pro for all of this go ahead but I think your giving us way more credit than deserved!

Also blaming RC Pro for people being so serious about a race is just funny. The racers are the ones that need to step back and reduce the seriousness. We try to run an efficient and fun program and the racers decide how serious they want to be about any race. It would make a lot of races more fun if people would remember why most of us got into rc racing and I say that in every drivers meeting.
So put the blame where it should be.
__________________
RC Pro Products - Alpha Plus importer for North America
RC Pro Products, Alpha Plus Engines, A Plus Pipes, Voodoo Nitro Fuel & Glow Plugs.
RC Pro 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 4,835
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

The thing the people who are complaining need to understand and realize is that you guys are very fortunate to have such healthy racing. In what is a "state series". Entry limits have to be formed and if a person has raced for 20 years then surely this is a very easily understood point. You got practice one day and racing the next. In simple math you have only so many people you can run through in a race day. That number is established and the limit is set. If you missed out and some will, try to sign up earlier.

It's simple to say.."ADD A DAY and let more people race". But then you increase the cost all around for the racers involved. In a time that things are tight thats not the way to go.

You guys are lucky. I travel all over the world racing. TO get to something like you guys have I need to go on a week long trip.

I wish we had your "PROBLEM" in Alabama.

Good luck guys, and try a positive outlook for all the hard work that has brought you this great and healthy racing. It don't just happen.

Alan Burton
__________________
Owner of the Speed Shop: A race prep shop for anything related to 1/10 and 1/8 off road racing. Check us out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Speed-Shop/382214705269137?ref=bookmarks
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #26
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great Point Sir.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
The thing the people who are complaining need to understand and realize is that you guys are very fortunate to have such healthy racing. In what is a "state series". Entry limits have to be formed and if a person has raced for 20 years then surely this is a very easily understood point. You got practice one day and racing the next. In simple math you have only so many people you can run through in a race day. That number is established and the limit is set. If you missed out and some will, try to sign up earlier.

It's simple to say.."ADD A DAY and let more people race". But then you increase the cost all around for the racers involved. In a time that things are tight thats not the way to go.

You guys are lucky. I travel all over the world racing. TO get to something like you guys have I need to go on a week long trip.

I wish we had your "PROBLEM" in Alabama.

Good luck guys, and try a positive outlook for all the hard work that has brought you this great and healthy racing. It don't just happen.

Alan Burton
It's funny I usually am really easy going, but something is amiss about these big races, but like you said, We are lucky to have such organized racing. I just enjoy club racing and local series racing more than the serious series of races. There is a trend towards serious series and that's seriously serious....Hehe

I do like series races. I'm leading in the points at our Houston Area Race series.
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires

Last edited by merdith6; 04-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #27
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
The thing the people who are complaining need to understand and realize is that you guys are very fortunate to have such healthy racing. In what is a "state series". Entry limits have to be formed and if a person has raced for 20 years then surely this is a very easily understood point. You got practice one day and racing the next. In simple math you have only so many people you can run through in a race day. That number is established and the limit is set. If you missed out and some will, try to sign up earlier.

It's simple to say.."ADD A DAY and let more people race". But then you increase the cost all around for the racers involved. In a time that things are tight thats not the way to go.

You guys are lucky. I travel all over the world racing. TO get to something like you guys have I need to go on a week long trip.

I wish we had your "PROBLEM" in Alabama.

Good luck guys, and try a positive outlook for all the hard work that has brought you this great and healthy racing. It don't just happen.

Alan Burton
Well said!
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic
 
Ruune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 891
Send a message via ICQ to Ruune Send a message via AIM to Ruune Send a message via Yahoo to Ruune
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Pro 1 View Post
As far as too many big races.

Yes there are!
As far as it is RC Pro's fault? LMAO!

RC Pro was the 1st and only National Offroad Series and since it started almost every track or group of tracks in every state at some time or another has tried to run a series.
Why? because racers seem to like them and it's a way for tracks to have larger races and some people do it thinking they will make a lot of money.
Also in the last 10 years every track seems to schedule 1-3 big races a year vs how many big races there were 10 years ago which might have been a dozen nationwide.

If you want to blame RC Pro for all of this go ahead but I think your giving us way more credit than deserved!

Also blaming RC Pro for people being so serious about a race is just funny. The racers are the ones that need to step back and reduce the seriousness. We try to run an efficient and fun program and the racers decide how serious they want to be about any race. It would make a lot of races more fun if people would remember why most of us got into rc racing and I say that in every drivers meeting.
So put the blame where it should be.
I dont think that anyone is to "blame." I honestly think that the increase in attendance is a sign of a healthy industry... especially with the US coming out of a recession. It's also a breath of fresh air to see large organized races that are separate from the tyrannic rule making of ROAR and FAMAR (whole other discussions entirely!).

The only thing that i'd like to see is the International finals hosted somewhere more densely populated than Alvarado, TX. I know it's a cost issue, but that could be offset with event sponsorships.

I should also add that I'm on the waiting list for San Antonio, even as a series sponsor. Sure I'll be bummed if I dont get to race, but I understand that there is a cap and why. Others beat me to registration. So be it. I'll be there anyways! Again, this a sign of a healthy industry.
Ruune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

I have always enjoyed the rcp series and the company of my Texan buddy Carlton! BUT I'm not a fan of the new class "pro" and will most likely be absent this year because of it... Maybe in socal its a good thing but here in the NE spending that kinda money to race with 15 guys dont float my boat..
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic
 
RC Pro 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South of sanity
Posts: 974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
I have always enjoyed the rcp series and the company of my Texan buddy Carlton! BUT I'm not a fan of the new class "pro" and will most likely be absent this year because of it... Maybe in socal its a good thing but here in the NE spending that kinda money to race with 15 guys dont float my boat..
Joe it takes time to build that class and each divisions pro class will be larger this year. It actually works in every division but there has to be a qualification process for who runs in that class or it will be a free for all of people signing up.

I'll be in Rome in June.
__________________
RC Pro Products - Alpha Plus importer for North America
RC Pro Products, Alpha Plus Engines, A Plus Pipes, Voodoo Nitro Fuel & Glow Plugs.
RC Pro 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:08 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net