Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Comparing RTRs: Jammin X1X and Hyper 8.5 >

Comparing RTRs: Jammin X1X and Hyper 8.5

Comparing RTRs: Jammin X1X and Hyper 8.5

Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Comparing RTRs: Jammin X1X and Hyper 8.5

Hi, I've done many searches on the following RTR kits: Jammin x1x and Hyper 8.5 and spent lots of time reading but could not find a clear answer on which of these two would be the better choice for track only use. I have a R/C track 5 minutes from home and would like to come back to the sport, I used to race 1/10 electric buggies back in the 90's. I know both kits need a better servo and come with cheap radio gear. For me it comes down to the platform that offers the best tuning potential. The Hyper 8.5 has all sealed bearings and has many optional parts in the box versus the Jammin that has only shielded bearings and no optional torsion bars and toe adjustment... but the Jammin seems to have a better setup out of the box... I don't know?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by no hand
Hi, I've done many searches on the following RTR kits: Jammin x1x and Hyper 8.5 and spent lots of time reading but could not find a clear answer on which of these two would be the better choice for track only use. I have a R/C track 5 minutes from home and would like to come back to the sport, I used to race 1/10 electric buggies back in the 90's. I know both kits need a better servo and come with cheap radio gear. For me it comes down to the platform that offers the best tuning potential. The Hyper 8.5 has all sealed bearings and has many optional parts in the box versus the Jammin that has only shielded bearings and no optional torsion bars and toe adjustment... but the Jammin seems to have a better setup out of the box... I don't know?
i can tell you the jammin X1 is a great racer. IMO the hyper series is mainly for bashing with the exception of the hyper9. i had a jammin X1 and X2 and they are solid racers. won many races with both. i ran them for a year and on broke on rear A-arm and i only replaced bearing and axils once. extremely durable. the hyper 8.5 is way behind when it comes to racing IMO. the shocks on the X1 are 100 times better than the ones on the 8.5. also if you go to ofnas website you can find setup sheets for racing and make adjustments for you. also if you wanted you could make the X1 an X2 for about 150 bucks more. and most X2 parts are the same so parts are easy to find. the only problem with the X1 RTR is the steering servo (all RTRs steering servos are weak) and the shock towers are to thin but you can buy some Pro version ones off ebay for less than 30. but the hyper 8.5 has the same problems and more. also on the 8.5 everyone that has had one said that it is not a racer at all its a complete basher, just doesnt handle like other buggys. but just get what you like more and dont look back.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
... the shocks on the X1 are 100 times better than the ones on the 8.5...
The 8.5x has been updated in december 2009 with 17mm top of the line shocks. Does it make the 8.5 any more attracting, or is the Jammin x1x still coming out on top?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the 16mm ones on the jammin are still better, the 17mm ones just arent as good, they are lower grade ones. but the jammin is better for racing in every way. the jammin is more durable and handles a lot better than the 8.5. i liked my X1 more than my X2! the jammin is extremely easy to setup and one setup worked on every track i raced at, the X2 i had to make small changes at almost every track. all i ran was Ofna products from day one but now im making the switch to O'donnell. i had the X1 and X2 buggy and truggy and a hyper 7 and drove an hyper 8 for a couple of laps and i highly recommend not getting it. the guy that had it ran it one day at the track and sold it.