R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
mikesd1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NE, Pa
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default How long did it take for you guys to get better?

How long did it take for you guys to get better? What technique's are you guys using to make you faster? This my 2nd race season and I am trying new stuff to make me faster.
__________________
Mike Diggs
Agama USA buggy
Agama USA Ebuggy - Airtronics M12
Agama A8T Truggy - Hobbyprousa -NemoRacing
"Our perception and attitude toward any situation will determine the outcome"
mikesd1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Tech Adept
 
vagnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greece - Athens
Posts: 128
Default

Xa, xa, xa!!!
A lifetime...

Well, I have been thinking this question my self! That is why I start with xa,xa,xa!!! I race for years in 1/10 electric on-road and the last 3 years in 1/8 off road! Unfortunately my work does not leave me much free time to be as competitive as I want, but my goal is to always be in B-main and I do manage this...B-main and some times A-main.
The most important is P R A C T I C E ! ! !
Drive as much as you can!
The second is to have a well build car (ie no binding, same camber, droop, etc left and right etc)
The third that worked for me is: stop blaming your setup for everything - drive better. In my beloved previous car D8 I tried 2-3 Tessman's setups (not 9-10), I found the best suited for me/my track and then on...just drove!!! It made a big difference - I stopped blaming ie wrong ackerman for my faults...I just drove and that was it...soon after better lap times!!!

Hope it helps,
Vagelis
vagnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
ScottyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami OK
Posts: 3,149
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesd1980 View Post
How long did it take for you guys to get better? What technique's are you guys using to make you faster? This my 2nd race season and I am trying new stuff to make me faster.
The only thing that can make you better is simply doing it.. There is no amount of time, as everyone learns at different rates.. I've seen guys come in that have never raced do extremely well, and I have seen guys that have raced for years still struggling..

The best technique is cornering. Out - In - Out of corners will always be faster, but you need to be aware that it can leave you open for a pass.. In jumps make sure to find a rythm that works for you.. Don't worry too much about how eveyone else is doing it, find one that is quick for your style.. Something I do when at a new track is go hang out at different track positions durin practice, and watch different areas to see the lines in and out of each section of track to find the smoothest and quickest lines.. I do it during practice so I can watch others. Because there is almost always someone that will hit the perfect line, and someone that will hit the worst line..

Most of all HAVE fun while racing.. If it isn't fun then you won't stick with it and won't get better.. But, don't put to much pressure on getting faster, just enjoy.
__________________
Scott Musgrave
ScottyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

I am racing 18 months now and I'm still not better It all depends on your dedication to it. To me its just a fun way to hang out with my friends, and something to do on the weekends. I dont practice much and I only race about twice a month. If you really are dedicated to it, you can be really good in a few months. Stick with it, get lots of practice, race allot, learn set-ups and how to pick the best tires and you will be kicking butt in no time
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
mikesd1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NE, Pa
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagnik View Post
Xa, xa, xa!!!
A lifetime...

Well, I have been thinking this question my self! That is why I start with xa,xa,xa!!! I race for years in 1/10 electric on-road and the last 3 years in 1/8 off road! Unfortunately my work does not leave me much free time to be as competitive as I want, but my goal is to always be in B-main and I do manage this...B-main and some times A-main.
The most important is P R A C T I C E ! ! !
Drive as much as you can!
The second is to have a well build car (ie no binding, same camber, droop, etc left and right etc)
The third that worked for me is: stop blaming your setup for everything - drive better. In my beloved previous car D8 I tried 2-3 Tessman's setups (not 9-10), I found the best suited for me/my track and then on...just drove!!! It made a big difference - I stopped blaming ie wrong ackerman for my faults...I just drove and that was it...soon after better lap times!!!

Hope it helps,
Vagelis
Thanks. Sorry to say but I have never done any setup on my truggy or buggy. I am pretty good and a local race I can make the B-main and maybe the A-main. This year I am doing setups and hoping I get better.
__________________
Mike Diggs
Agama USA buggy
Agama USA Ebuggy - Airtronics M12
Agama A8T Truggy - Hobbyprousa -NemoRacing
"Our perception and attitude toward any situation will determine the outcome"
mikesd1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Undetermined. I've been racing 3 years and I'm still slow. I'm better than I was, not as good as I should be. It is an ongoing process. (It doesn't help that I don't get to run much, and I'm 46...)

Keep practicing... we have a local guy who has been at it about a year... and got put in open (expert) class in RC Pro because he got too good for the intermediate class.
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
mikesd1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NE, Pa
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I am racing 18 months now and I'm still not better It all depends on your dedication to it. To me its just a fun way to hang out with my friends, and something to do on the weekends. I dont practice much and I only race about twice a month. If you really are dedicated to it, you can be really good in a few months. Stick with it, get lots of practice, race allot, learn set-ups and how to pick the best tires and you will be kicking butt in no time
I definetly have fun with it but I have more fun when I am winning. I try to race every weekend if I can. Now that i dont work weekends no more it made it alot better for me to make it to different tracks. I only practice before the race starts.
__________________
Mike Diggs
Agama USA buggy
Agama USA Ebuggy - Airtronics M12
Agama A8T Truggy - Hobbyprousa -NemoRacing
"Our perception and attitude toward any situation will determine the outcome"
mikesd1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Team Tekin
 
yzracer758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tekin HQ
Posts: 3,026
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

#1. Practice, practice, practice......
#2 Watch the fast guys. Try and use the same lines they are, listen to when they get on and off the throttle in the corners and if possible ask one of them to watch you drive and give some insight.
#3 Set-Up. If you dont have the right tires or set-up for a particular track, chances are no matter how good you are the car is going to be a handful to drive or not do what you want it to.
#4 You either got it or you don't. Some people pick things up quickly and are just naturally talented and others no matter how much work they put in just will never reach a high level.

Keep it fun and stay positive!
__________________
Tekin, Inc. | XRAY | RC America | Hudy | Protek RC | Exotek Racing | Factory-RC Products | Proline Racing | Avid RC | Vision Racing Products | Paint By Smiley | SOR Graphics | Carolina Custom Anodizing
Jeremy Potter
Tekin C.S. Manager
yzracer758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

I skimmed over what was already posted and to put my perspective in a nutshell from 30+ years of doing this;

#1 You have to enjoy racing R/C. I mean enjoy racing and competition. If you only like the "driving" aspect and hanging out to have fun that is perfect as a hobby this won't make you faster.

#2 If you want to REALLY be competitive you have to dedicate your time and resources to do so. Practice, Practice and more practice. I don't mean put fuel in the car and go drive down the street, I mean serious lap after lap timed practice. Change your set up not only to improve your lap times but to improve the car and know what each change does for you

#3 Race with faster drivers than you. They will show you the lines, the braking points, and other things like how to (sometimes) pass clean etc. You will get beat like a drum until you figure out that slow is fast and tight lines are the fastest way around the track.


#4 Attitude; You need to be very confident in yourself. Not a cocky ass on the outside, but a controlled confidence. There is nothing worse than what will kill your game than going to the track with the mind set "if so-in-so is there I'm going to get beat." Because you already have it programmed that you will get beat. You have to go to the track and say "Hmmm who are the fast guys here that I'm going to beat today?" Go out do your best and most importantly if you win or lose come out of the experience with something learned. If you didn't learn a new line, or something about your car or set up you won't get faster.

#5 If things go bad, and they will more times than not, stay cool and learn from it. Ask yourself "What made that happen?" My driving? Focus? Improper car set up? Never go away with "it was the other guys fault" as again you won't learn anything by blaming others.


My $1.389
__________________
Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
Trevor Williams's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,218
Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)
Default

you have to practice hard. You have to be dedicated and serious. You have to be focused and concentrate without putting too much pressure on yourself for winning and being the fast guy, just try and be calm and let it happen.......it's hard......LOL!
__________________
RC10-B6d | RC10-B64d
SmacTrac
#WeAreAE #ReedyPower #AE4Life
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Trevor Williams's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,218
Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
I skimmed over what was already posted and to put my perspective in a nutshell from 30+ years of doing this;

#1 You have to enjoy racing R/C. I mean enjoy racing and competition. If you only like the "driving" aspect and hanging out to have fun that is perfect as a hobby this won't make you faster.

#2 If you want to REALLY be competitive you have to dedicate your time and resources to do so. Practice, Practice and more practice. I don't mean put fuel in the car and go drive down the street, I mean serious lap after lap timed practice. Change your set up not only to improve your lap times but to improve the car and know what each change does for you

#3 Race with faster drivers than you. They will show you the lines, the braking points, and other things like how to (sometimes) pass clean etc. You will get beat like a drum until you figure out that slow is fast and tight lines are the fastest way around the track.


#4 Attitude; You need to be very confident in yourself. Not a cocky ass on the outside, but a controlled confidence. There is nothing worse than what will kill your game than going to the track with the mind set "if so-in-so is there I'm going to get beat." Because you already have it programmed that you will get beat. You have to go to the track and say "Hmmm who are the fast guys here that I'm going to beat today?" Go out do your best and most importantly if you win or lose come out of the experience with something learned. If you didn't learn a new line, or something about your car or set up you won't get faster.

#5 If things go bad, and they will more times than not, stay cool and learn from it. Ask yourself "What made that happen?" My driving? Focus? Improper car set up? Never go away with "it was the other guys fault" as again you won't learn anything by blaming others.


My $1.389
wow......could'nt be said any better Jimmy
__________________
RC10-B6d | RC10-B64d
SmacTrac
#WeAreAE #ReedyPower #AE4Life
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Tech Master
 
mikesd1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NE, Pa
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
I skimmed over what was already posted and to put my perspective in a nutshell from 30+ years of doing this;

#1 You have to enjoy racing R/C. I mean enjoy racing and competition. If you only like the "driving" aspect and hanging out to have fun that is perfect as a hobby this won't make you faster.

#2 If you want to REALLY be competitive you have to dedicate your time and resources to do so. Practice, Practice and more practice. I don't mean put fuel in the car and go drive down the street, I mean serious lap after lap timed practice. Change your set up not only to improve your lap times but to improve the car and know what each change does for you

#3 Race with faster drivers than you. They will show you the lines, the braking points, and other things like how to (sometimes) pass clean etc. You will get beat like a drum until you figure out that slow is fast and tight lines are the fastest way around the track.


#4 Attitude; You need to be very confident in yourself. Not a cocky ass on the outside, but a controlled confidence. There is nothing worse than what will kill your game than going to the track with the mind set "if so-in-so is there I'm going to get beat." Because you already have it programmed that you will get beat. You have to go to the track and say "Hmmm who are the fast guys here that I'm going to beat today?" Go out do your best and most importantly if you win or lose come out of the experience with something learned. If you didn't learn a new line, or something about your car or set up you won't get faster.

#5 If things go bad, and they will more times than not, stay cool and learn from it. Ask yourself "What made that happen?" My driving? Focus? Improper car set up? Never go away with "it was the other guys fault" as again you won't learn anything by blaming others.


My $1.389
Points taking. Will keep all these in mind. Thanks for you $1.389.
This year working on Set-up and Attitude. So far its been good so my friends tell me.
__________________
Mike Diggs
Agama USA buggy
Agama USA Ebuggy - Airtronics M12
Agama A8T Truggy - Hobbyprousa -NemoRacing
"Our perception and attitude toward any situation will determine the outcome"
mikesd1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Tech Master
 
NitroFreakManHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstairs, Canada
Posts: 1,142
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo
Default

There is no real set time for getting better, most will advance at their own level, and it takes practise at any of those levels in order to keep advancing.

I just race against 'myself' and try to do better than I did before. It works for me. I try not to think to much about who I have to beat, because I just want to be better than I was the last time out.

In a race, if I feel myself getting excited or in a panic, I try to realize that it's happening, and tell myself to keep calm, this usually helps me keep my cool.

If you're doing good without paying attention to your setup, then you're only going to get better once you start to set it up for your driving style.
__________________
TEAM TERRIBLES √ 2009/2011 SORRCC Points Series Truggy Champ
CRE Werks B5 powered Serpent 811-T
CRE Nova P5 Powered Serpent 811-B
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Marcus Falconie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,462
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default imo

IMO race on as many different tracks as you can it helps you to learn lines fast. I know alot of people that are fast at there home track but you see them at another track and they are lost. Try and race a few big races if you can or try a Joey track (The Dirt) if you can, it will make you home track feel easy and just race race race!!!! Walk the track, watch the fast guys, and have some one video your race to watch and analize.
__________________
Marcus Falconieri
2011 Xray 808
Torco Racing Fuels
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
motomatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 1,283
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Who says I got better?
Patience is a virtue.
Practice, practice,practice.
There is no substitute for time with a controller in your hand.
Then learning from mistakes.
I see many drivers make the same mistake repeatedly.
(even me)
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you guys think of this Werk's .21 Engine? Garet Jax Nitro Off-Road 82 07-20-2016 04:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:22 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net