R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

1. Practice, practice, practice.
2. Slow is fast... Learn your way around the track, and when you got it, start pushing a little more. And know your limits.
3. Learn how to setup your rides. But setup only works if you are consistant (see #1). And only change 1 thing at a time, i know it will take longer, but its worth it in the end.
4. Ask for help.

And any Pro driver will tell you they have room to improve.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Remember that. It will go a long way.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukitol View Post
i see a average time on the list. i think?
That is the average for those 8 laps only. A average of all laps in the race could have been helpful. None the less, the example still works.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #64
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Remember that. It will go a long way.
Thats for sure .
Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
1. Practice, practice, practice.
2. Slow is fast... Learn your way around the track, and when you got it, start pushing a little more. And know your limits.
3. Learn how to setup your rides. But setup only works if you are consistant (see #1). And only change 1 thing at a time, i know it will take longer, but its worth it in the end.
4. Ask for help.

And any Pro driver will tell you they have room to improve.
this.
funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The biggest change i made was to quit being timid. Don't be afraid to just get in there and run hard.

Listen to what other drivers say and make the changes that feel good to your driving style.

IT took me three years to learn these two simple things.
wrayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

I'm going on my 4th outdoor season this year(just finishing my 2nd indoor season) and I see a lot of good advice already posted here. My two cents go like this:

1. Be smooth!

Getting marshalled ever other lap because you are over driving the track
isn't the fastest way around it. If going at a slower pace allows this for you, do so! Once you start to know your limits you will find where you can push it a bit, and where you can't. Timing your corners and jumps is a huge part
of this. Going for that triple-single, like the fast A-Main guys, where you
feel comfortable and are more consistant doing the double-double isn't
going to make for faster lap times. It's going to find you waiting for a
marshal instead.

2. Be curtious!

Nothing that I hate more than a guy running 10th, that spends 3 laps
trying to block me or just take me out, because I am running 1st. If
you see somebody hauling up on your six, give them some room. Don't
pull over and stop, just give them a clean line by so that they can continue
on thier way. People will have more respect for you and be more willing
to help, believe it or not, if you are a calm and curtious kinda dude. Sounds
terrible, but it is the truth! By all means don't be timid either! If you have the
line, and are faster then the guy ahead of you, and your going for step up
in position, GO FOR IT!!! Just don't purposely take him out though to get it.
Clean lines and good timing will get you that position, no doubt.

3. Relax and have fun!

We all have our bad days at that track but remember, this is a hobby
and these are TOY cars. If your attitude goes in the dump your driving
will too. This is supposed to be fun and competitive at the same time.
I know its hard to mix the two but it CAN be done. I know I've come off
the stand after winning an A-Main and my hands were shaking from the
adrenaline. Thats from the fun of hard competition! Thats what will make
you come back for more.

4. Be patient!

Nothing good happens overnight. Spend your time with your setup, check
it before every round of qualifing/mains, and keep up on your maintenance.
Nothing hurts more than running high up in the A and a clutch bearing fails
or the engine flames out from a bad tune. Keep your tires fresh and clean.
Spend your time in between rounds watching the faster guys and their lines.
All of this helps me calm down and keeps me focused at the same time. Over
time it has made me faster and to be honest, probably more so than practice,
though practice is boring for me so I prefer to just race a few times a week, if I can. Quality time put in will pay off in huge dividends, just give it time.
Hate2Looz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #68
Tech Adept

Hello,

I was wondering if and how you use your brakes.

Do you use brakes alot?

Do you use brakes to slow down before the corner and then turn or do you not use brakes and and come slower to just roll freewheel through the corner?

Do you use brakes on the corner to force your car slide?

Your brakes are setup so on a straight line with full throtle when the brakes are applied the car slows down and then stop or do tha brakes force the car to slide (locks the wheels) and then stop?

I am confused on how much the brakes need to be used and how strong the brakes work...

Ofcourse someone might say it depends on your driving but I guess we are all looking to drive just like the pros do...

Thanks
Jaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #69
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

There are some very good ideas being discussed here. I have been racing for two years in 1/8th Gas here in Australia, and I can relate to alot of the comments posted. I have improved heaps since starting, but now putting a finger on a personal improvement is getting harder and harder.

I think it is important to realise that not everyone can be as good as Drake, Savoya, Tebo, Cav, etc. They are special, talented individuals who have been racing at the pinnacle of this hobby for years. They have specially 'wired' brains, and can see, think and do just that bit faster and better than the rest of us, under immense pressure. Yes, some of that comes from practice, but some are just born with it.

My number 1 thing is Preparation. A breakdown, flat battery, flameout, etc. will ruin your day. Period. And number 2 is crashing, this wastes alot of time, and you will be amazed at how fast you can be, just by eliminating the crashes. Smooth is Fast.

To conclude, it is important to set yourself reasonable goals. When you acheived that goal, set yourself another, and so on. Rome wasn't built in a day.........
tomdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
Hello,

Do you use brakes alot? Yes

Do you use brakes to slow down before the corner and then turn or do you not use brakes and and come slower to just roll freewheel through the corner? Depends on the fastest line and how much bit the track has, but braking is a good idea so people wont be puntin people in the corners.

Do you use brakes on the corner to force your car slide?

Your brakes are setup so on a straight line with full throtle when the brakes are applied the car slows down and then stop or do tha brakes force the car to slide (locks the wheels) and then stop?

I am confused on how much the brakes need to be used and how strong the brakes work...

Ofcourse someone might say it depends on your driving but I guess we are all looking to drive just like the pros do...

Thanks

Do you use brakes alot? YES

Do you use brakes to slow down before the corner and then turn or do you not use brakes and and come slower to just roll freewheel through the corner?
Depends on the fastest line and how much bit the track has, but braking is a good idea so people wont be puntin people in the corners.

Do you use brakes on the corner to force your car slide? I try not to. Tires just spinning is more tire wear and less run time.

Your brakes are setup so on a straight line with full throtle when the brakes are applied the car slows down and then stop or do tha brakes force the car to slide (locks the wheels) and then stop? Depends on what you like and your bias (i think its called). Its hard to tell cause depending on the track surface. really loose I take out a little break, on nice high bite tracks I can add alitte more. IMO

I am confused on how much the brakes need to be used and how strong the brakes work... You have to play with it until you find your sweet spot.

Ofcourse someone might say it depends on your driving but I guess we are all looking to drive just like the pros do... But so much do depend on your style of driving.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #71
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I like asking more experienced drivers to take my truggie for a run around the track to see what they think of set up and handling/tune ect.
Then i try the suggested adjustments to see if things improve.
RustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #72
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did onroad carpet one winter and was surprised how much better I got on dirt. Play around drifting as well. I don't race onroad, I just go when the weather is crappy.
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #73
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did onroad carpet one winter and was surprised how much better I got on dirt. Play around drifting as well. I don't race onroad, I just go when the weather is crappy. Also, I got a set up station. Huge improvement in lap times.
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #74
Tech Adept

I agree with all the top points on this thread so i will add what made me quicker ....Im not all that fast but it improved my driving millions .

I was told this by a guy I race with from time to time

1. Dont drive at 100% effort drive at 75-80 % effort What happens is you crash less but over time your 75-80% ends up being faster than your old 100% was and keeps building

2. Set the throttle EPA on your handset to 25% and drive consitant laps to the point that you hit the racing line EVERY time without crashing . Then up the EPA to 50% and do the same although this time you will need to use some breaks to stay on the line . Then up to 65% and repeat . Then 75% and repeat .
by the time you make it to 100% you should be much smoother on the breaks and be able to hold the line well .

I did this a while ago and it helped loads. My driving is getting a little ropey just now and il be doing the above exercise at my home track next practice day to sort me out .
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:52 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdex View Post
There are some very good ideas being discussed here. I have been racing for two years in 1/8th Gas here in Australia, and I can relate to alot of the comments posted. I have improved heaps since starting, but now putting a finger on a personal improvement is getting harder and harder.

I think it is important to realise that not everyone can be as good as Drake, Savoya, Tebo, Cav, etc. They are special, talented individuals who have been racing at the pinnacle of this hobby for years. They have specially 'wired' brains, and can see, think and do just that bit faster and better than the rest of us, under immense pressure. Yes, some of that comes from practice, but some are just born with it.

My number 1 thing is Preparation. A breakdown, flat battery, flameout, etc. will ruin your day. Period. And number 2 is crashing, this wastes alot of time, and you will be amazed at how fast you can be, just by eliminating the crashes. Smooth is Fast.

To conclude, it is important to set yourself reasonable goals. When you acheived that goal, set yourself another, and so on. Rome wasn't built in a day.........
Tom, howdy, just to put some perspective on what you have said, While Tebo , etc are so very talented, they also did have to start somewhere. personally i have only raced off road 3times in a space over 4 years. my first race a couple of weeks ago in a long time, with some one elses equipment as well. i listen and look what goes on around, and its quite entertaining at times. i think i hear "i need more power " probably the most, and when you look at how that person drives, its probably the last thing they need at the time. so now going to the original question, its not power that will make you quicker, but as many have said, less is probably best. having raced onroad 8th scale, and 10th scale at interstate, and national events here in AU, while power is great in a straight line, you still need to get around that corner, or in this case, over that jump. the key to improvment is to be more consistant. if that means having a slower lap time to do so, then you will make less mistakes, and overall be faster in time. Now Tom touched on something else that is so so important, and even the best drivers int he world cant go with out this. this is preparation, and keeping things in the best condition as possible. you can be the fastest driver ont eh track in the Main, for 10 mins out of the 30min final, but if you have something fail on your car, then you will most likley not finish, or have to come in to fix it. massive loss of time.

coming from onroad, i dont feel the precision is there to hit every apex exactly the same lap after lap, but what i can see, is that you can be close, and as a driver, to know what the track is doing, changes during a race, and the ability to adapt your driving to the conditions is what Tebo, and Co can do better than most of us here. i doubt equipment is much different, if it is, its only minimal, but they know how to change their cars for different conditions, and that is what makes them so good at what they do, cause they have to be able to , its their Job. So there is hope for all, and there is nothing like Experience to know what to change to your setup to make it easier to drive in certain conditions.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote