R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #46
Tech Addict

All of the above.....

One thing I have learned the last 2 seasons is stay on top of your equipment. A tiny bind, or tight bearing can cause havoc on the track, and you can be chasing it all day. I've gotten to where I just about strip my car down to the chassis every race just to be sure it's free. Also, looking ahead and preparing for possible failures. For instance, at a big race last year, I qualified great,, and was super fast, only to have a spring retainer fall out early in the A-main, making it a handful to drive. So now I tie wire the retainers to the spring. Stuff like that goes a long way in preventing stupid failures.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniracer23 View Post
All of the above.....

One thing I have learned the last 2 seasons is stay on top of your equipment. A tiny bind, or tight bearing can cause havoc on the track, and you can be chasing it all day. I've gotten to where I just about strip my car down to the chassis every race just to be sure it's free. Also, looking ahead and preparing for possible failures. For instance, at a big race last year, I qualified great,, and was super fast, only to have a spring retainer fall out early in the A-main, making it a handful to drive. So now I tie wire the retainers to the spring. Stuff like that goes a long way in preventing stupid failures.
Very true ! Reminds me of a great saying I once heard.

In order to finish FIRST, First you must finish........
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsober1 View Post
Dude ?

get your lap times within .6 seconds on each other ?

Thats on par with the better racers in the world. Look at the pros lap times. Your talking about alot for an average racers.

I dont know what tracks yr racing on, but most tracks I run on are 30-50 second tracks and I would say that if you can keep most lap times withing about 3 seconds of each other, your doing a pretty good job. Sure the more consistant the better, but if you can avoid the occasional heavy lap, you will be in the upper level of your class if your lap times match.
Hmmm, I saw the 3 seconds mentioned in your post and thought that must be way to high, but then I did some research and found that you are actually quite right.
For the research sample here is are some laps from the first RC Pro race of the the 2009 Alberta series in Calgary. These laps are from the buggy A-main. It was a tight technical fairly well grooved track. The only really tough thing to tell with this sample are that laps with crashes, or traffic incidents are also included.

To start with, the ultimate baseline: Ty Tessman. One of the fastest guys in the world. Let's see how consistent his laps are.
Lap 1- I left this out since it is only a half lap and will mess up the times.
Lap 2 29.252
Lap 3 28.358
Lap 4 28.632
Lap 5 29.009
Lap 6 28.979
Lap 7 28.586
Lap 8 29.029
Lap 9 30.402
Avg(8) 29.031
Variance 2.044
Best 28.358
Worst 30.402
Best of the 30 min race 28.335

Now for a very fast driver: Peter Tozser. Not counting Ty he is one of the top 3 fastest drivers in Canada, no doubt.
Lap 2 33.379
Lap 3 35.082
Lap 4 34.765
Lap 5 29.826
Lap 6 31.860
Lap 7 30.425
Lap 8 30.652
Lap 9 33.240
Avg(8) 32.404
Variance 5.256
Best 29.826
Worst 35.082
Best of the 30min race 29.431

Now for a set of laps from a friend of mine who was running in the B-main. He has a really clean driving style. He has been racing for about 4 years now I think. *Note the track conditions may have been slightly different in this heat versus in the A-main.
Lap 2 38.180
Lap 3 30.571
Lap 4 30.245
Lap 5 32.953
Lap 6 29.745
Lap 7 30.126
Lap 8 31.464
Lap 9 29.995
Avg(8) 31.660
Variance 8.435
Best 29.745
Worst 38.18
Best of the 30min race 29.745 (he did it in the first few laps!)

So, a bit of food for thought there if you're the sort of person who likes numbers and stats. You can really see how a crash can cost you a lot of time. Unfortunately the time sheets I'm looking at for reference here do not list average lap times at all, which would make this info a bit better.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsober1 View Post
Dude ?

get your lap times within .6 seconds on each other ?

Thats on par with the better racers in the world. Look at the pros lap times. Your talking about alot for an average racers.

I dont know what tracks yr racing on, but most tracks I run on are 30-50 second tracks and I would say that if you can keep most lap times withing about 3 seconds of each other, your doing a pretty good job. Sure the more consistant the better, but if you can avoid the occasional heavy lap, you will be in the upper level of your class if your lap times match.
I'm still a 1-2 seconds off per lap compared to the top in the UK and we race on tracks no smaller than 40secs (55 being the biggest). Granted that if you push harder you'll get a better time but it's a balancing act. I'm getting faster because i know i can do consistant laps. Its just a case of getting on the gas early and letting off that split second later.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hey guys, when you strip down after every race, over time will that make the threads loose especially the parts that are screwed into plastic?
kai888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
IMO race on as many different tracks as you can it helps you to learn lines fast. I know alot of people that are fast at there home track but you see them at another track and they are lost. Try and race a few big races if you can or try a Joey track (The Dirt) if you can, it will make you home track feel easy and just race race race!!!! Walk the track, watch the fast guys, and have some one video your race to watch and analize.
+1........ i like it & EFFECTIVE
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #52
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have seen a lot of posts about following the fast lines. Problem is you have to be an already good driver to follow the lines every time consistently.

There is an author by the name of Malcolm Gladwell. He wrote the book Outliers.

In his books he explained how people achieve master status on any particular item Hobby, Sport etc.

His research was based what it takes to reach master stauts and what one might do. He used Hockey as an example during his research and this is what he found.

He looked at many different highly successful high school hockey teams and wondered why only a few of the kids made it to the NHL when the entire team has been training together under the same staff for several years.

His answer lead to this: It takes 10,000 hours of practice to master an item. What he found was pretty interesting.

He noticed that the kids who made it to the NHL were always born in between the months of January through April and only some that made it to the show were born from May to July. The kids that were born in August to December hardly ever made it. He wondered why that was a common denominator.

The answer is very simple. See in kids sports they start you based on age. The kids that were born from January to April were able to start sooner than the kids that were born say in October.

The kids that were born in January to April hit the 10,000 hour mark first.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The age thing doesn't totally apply to RC, but I can see how the earlier someone gets started the better..
Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

wheelnut: what track is that?
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai888 View Post
hey guys, when you strip down after every race, over time will that make the threads loose especially the parts that are screwed into plastic?
Nope
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #56
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai888 View Post
I strip my truck down after EVERY race weekend. Tho I may not rebuild shocks and diffs everytime, every things else comes apart and checked and rechecked.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I take mine apart after most races. I have had way to many problems that could have been caught if I did disassemble and reassemble my car. I rebuild every thing. I dont do diffs much, but I do change my shocks all the time. I have had a few bent shafts which just sucks racin on. I never had to replace a bulkhead because of treads.
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

here is what i read in my car action mag and i found a link to it! In the mag it also says:
Dont run just to run
always check the simple things(toe camber etc)
Ask for help
Stay mentally strong
Dont go crazy
Learn what does what
Have a purpose(always try new lines)

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmo...22797EB5A9A7A1
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishsoap View Post
I have seen a lot of posts about following the fast lines. Problem is you have to be an already good driver to follow the lines every time consistently.

There is an author by the name of Malcolm Gladwell. He wrote the book Outliers.

In his books he explained how people achieve master status on any particular item Hobby, Sport etc.....
I saw an article about that book in Macleans magazine last year. It was really interesting. There are also example like the Beatles and Bill Gates in there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjqkz View Post
wheelnut: what track is that?
RCGEARS in Calgary.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #60
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
Lap 2 38.180
Lap 3 30.571
Lap 4 30.245
Lap 5 32.953
Lap 6 29.745
Lap 7 30.126
Lap 8 31.464
Lap 9 29.995
Avg(8) 31.660
Variance 8.435
Best 29.745
Worst 38.18
do not list average lap times at all, which would make this info a bit better.
i see a average time on the list. i think?