R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default nova bf .21 pipe ?

Hey guys , my son just bought a nova bf .21 limited & i was going to buy a new pipe for him if he needs one . We have a jp3 , a dynamite 053 mr , a dyn 007 ht . Most tracks we run are medium & some short . Any advice would be great ! Also what's a good glow plug ? Thanks in advance .
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Tech Adept
 
gholt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 234
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

086 top end 053 bottom and mid
__________________
RC8B/RC8TLE/
gholt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Cory Kerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

086 and OD 100 or 77.
__________________
Losi 8ight-Novarossi N21R-Hitec Servos-AKA-M11 Spektrum
*TEAM TERRIBLES*
Cory Kerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
DPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where the fast guys are
Posts: 3,528
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
Hey guys , my son just bought a nova bf .21 limited & i was going to buy a new pipe for him if he needs one . We have a jp3 , a dynamite 053 mr , a dyn 007 ht . Most tracks we run are medium & some short . Any advice would be great ! Also what's a good glow plug ? Thanks in advance .
I got a hard cooted 086 in like new condition and another nova bf.21 i will sell if ur interested in either let me know my sone was getting 9 pluse minutes with the 086 pipe with 1.0 springs and composite shoes.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,874
Default

86 pipe man i think thats the best pipe for that engine, it really woke up my bf .21 and has just enough top end
the only track that a 86 pipe. will struggle is on a tight short track so, i would get a mid ridge pipe if you race on a short track.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
modified763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mansfield, Texas
Posts: 1,063
Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
Hey guys , my son just bought a nova bf .21 limited & i was going to buy a new pipe for him if he needs one . We have a jp3 , a dynamite 053 mr , a dyn 007 ht . Most tracks we run are medium & some short . Any advice would be great ! Also what's a good glow plug ? Thanks in advance .
To start off, for all of you "Novaheads" out there please do not come on here and try to make me look like a fool. I am a team driver and go by what Chris Nunez and Jim Hottinger tell me what to do...... and it ALWAYS works. Although fuel and where you live do make a slight difference. Ok, back to the motor questions. The 053 pipe is a great pipe and probably the best choice, a good alternative to that would be the Dynamite 007 pipe. Also get a better cooling head like a N21R or O'Donnell cooling head, the stock black one does not help the engine run very cool AT ALL. Last but not least put a plus 4 or Toro Nero carb on it. They dont call it limited for nothing. These small improvments have helped me to get just over 10 minutes at 215 degrees after a 30 minute main, but my engine is also modded. Again, this is just my personal trials and errors that i'm passing on so you dont have to go through the heartaches that I did before I called Chris to ask for advice. Hope this helps, Tony Keigley.
__________________
Team Hot Bodies, Team O.S.Engines and Glow Plugs, Team AKA Products,Team Boca Bearings, Team O'Donnell Speed Blend Fuel, Team Upgrade RC, Tesla, Billy Oceans
modified763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modified763 View Post
To start off, for all of you "Novaheads" out there please do not come on here and try to make me look like a fool. I am a team driver and go by what Chris Nunez and Jim Hottinger tell me what to do...... and it ALWAYS works. Although fuel and where you live do make a slight difference. Ok, back to the motor questions. The 053 pipe is a great pipe and probably the best choice, a good alternative to that would be the Dynamite 007 pipe. Also get a better cooling head like a N21R or O'Donnell cooling head, the stock black one does not help the engine run very cool AT ALL. Last but not least put a plus 4 or Toro Nero carb on it. They dont call it limited for nothing. These small improvments have helped me to get just over 10 minutes at 215 degrees after a 30 minute main, but my engine is also modded. Again, this is just my personal trials and errors that i'm passing on so you dont have to go through the heartaches that I did before I called Chris to ask for advice. Hope this helps, Tony Keigley.





did you like the 86 pipe on the nova .21 bf? yea i see what you mean about the nova black head on the .21 bf but, the highest temps i ran at where about 230.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
r1harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: purvis, ms
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

ditto on the 086,,,,
__________________
TEAM AKA-RCAMERICA- Novarossi, Fusion Motorsports, W.E.D Custom Paint-Byron's Fuel - Blue Groove


JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: KY
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)
Default

I haven't tried a 053 yet but I tried a JP1, JP2, OS 2050, THS Torque Pipe, and then was recommended an 086 pipe. It was a completely different motor with the 086 pipe on it. My motor is all stock and runs under 230 all day long. When I need more mileage out of it I just lean the bottom out a little bit and get it up around 250 after a 30 minute main.
__________________
www.rcrcr.com --------> B-Mag free since fall '07
RobbieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,089
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

230-250 degrees , add 1 .10mm shim to make it .80mm total , use odonnell 100 , run dynamite 086hs pipe , byrons 30/11 race3000 and you tell me what you think


yes i have been told i know what i am talking about
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
Cory Kerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
230-250 degrees , add 1 .10mm shim to make it .80mm total , use odonnell 100 , run dynamite 086hs pipe , byrons 30/11 race3000 and you tell me what you think


yes i have been told i know what i am talking about
Monty, my N21R i got from you ran nicely at 235* last week at the track. Running the OD 100, and 086. Still got some more tuning to do.
__________________
Losi 8ight-Novarossi N21R-Hitec Servos-AKA-M11 Spektrum
*TEAM TERRIBLES*
Cory Kerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
jmaxey51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 3,917
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
230-250 degrees , add 1 .10mm shim to make it .80mm total , use odonnell 100 , run dynamite 086hs pipe , byrons 30/11 race3000 and you tell me what you think


yes i have been told i know what i am talking about
i am the son, but anyways on the odonnell website they said the 100 plug is equal to the McCoy 59, do you think it would still be better to get the 100 over the 59? i was wondering because my local hobby store carries the 59s but not the 100, i can order them but it might be easier just to drive there.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
230-250 degrees , add 1 .10mm shim to make it .80mm total , use odonnell 100 , run dynamite 086hs pipe , byrons 30/11 race3000 and you tell me what you think


yes i have been told i know what i am talking about
Thanks houston , my son raced this weekend & the engine ran great . He actually broke his buggy Friday so he blew the cobwebs off my x2 truggy put the engine in it . I don't know if we just got a good engine or if it is way under rated but he tq'd & was checking out in the a-main until a steering rod end popped off then glow plug fouled while fixing rod . It was the same plug we used in break -in . He should have changed it before the main but he was shooting the breeze with other racers & forgot . I replaced plug re started engine & he finished the race . Engine made good power & temp was at 243 running on fumes . Oh yeah i did put an o'donnell cooling head on it
& it seemed to help keep it cooler .
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,089
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i am the son, but anyways on the odonnell website they said the 100 plug is equal to the McCoy 59, do you think it would still be better to get the 100 over the 59? i was wondering because my local hobby store carries the 59s but not the 100, i can order them but it might be easier just to drive there.
if you wanna use mccoy plugs use the mc8 , that is another great plug for novarossi engines
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default yes

I think the stock black head works great, no cooling issues. I do like the 9853 super-strong pipe on most engines but the 086 is really good on the top end and seems to get better mileage, but the 9853ss pipe lasts a long time, no dents, and it makes that 3 port more agressive. I like the mc-8 plug in any Novarossi with a standard head button. You will love that engine. It tunes so easy, and lasts a long time....
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
O'Donnell Super Sport .21 thecman26 Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 1573 12-19-2011 09:58 AM
O.S. Vspec or Novarossi .21 bf limited? CaptainHowdyt13 Nitro Off-Road 101 07-20-2009 01:56 PM
Novarossi N21B 2000 BF Limited Edition .21 Off Road (Modded) Frank L R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 53 03-26-2009 06:46 PM
Top .21 Jammin Pipe X-5 starter box Anemic_SluG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 11-20-2007 02:47 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:57 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net