R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default diff oil changes

Guys,
I tore my whole car down,before i put it back together,what affect will the center diff oil have on the 2.0 buggy going from 5000 to 7000.Also how often do you guys change yours.My current setup is 5 5 2.
Thanks in advance for your input.
The fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

i never tried 5k in the center on my, buggy but i have ran 7k in the center it makes more forward traction and, its so what harder to drive on a rough track.

how was the 5k in the center on your buggy? easier to drive etc?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to CaribbeanPirate Send a message via MSN to CaribbeanPirate

The viscosity of the oil on your center diff will define which tires will spin faster underpower. 5000 vs 7000, the 5 will let the front tires pull your buggy when you punch the throttle and weight transfers to the rear of the car, on 7 it will make the rears push a bit more than they would with the 5. Personally I prefer 7 because it makes the car more of a 4x4 when coming out of a slow curve to the straight.
CaribbeanPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

you will loose a tiny bit of on power steering bumping up to 7k.

and i change my oils about every 3-5 races depending on how they feel or if they are leaking.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Thicker center diff oil will stiffen up the rotation of the buggy in the corners and unload the front tires less on throttle.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Smile

The reason i ask is the track i race on is hard packed,with a good bit of tight turns.And it is loose (back end spinning)when i come out of turns it's like you could do a donut easy.I'm not hammering the throttle either.Keep in mind this is a rtr 2.0 and the 1st time i'm changing diff oils.I think it came with the 5 5 2 set up.A guy i met at the track has been teaching me alot but i don't want to be a pain in his side,also would like to hear different opinions.This may not be the only track i race on.So just seeing what is the best all around set up i your thoughts on the subject.TC5 I guess it's good to answer your question,but this is the 1st tear down for the car and i have replaced alot of stuff,Also how do you guys feel about ready roller bearings,i'm doing it all right now to have the car in tip top shape.Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The fisherman View Post
The reason i ask is the track i race on is hard packed,with a good bit of tight turns.And it is loose (back end spinning)when i come out of turns it's like you could do a donut easy.I'm not hammering the throttle either.Keep in mind this is a rtr 2.0 and the 1st time i'm changing diff oils.I think it came with the 5 5 2 set up.A guy i met at the track has been teaching me alot but i don't want to be a pain in his side,also would like to hear different opinions.This may not be the only track i race on.So just seeing what is the best all around set up i your thoughts on the subject.TC5 I guess it's good to answer your question,but this is the 1st tear down for the car and i have replaced alot of stuff,Also how do you guys feel about ready roller bearings,i'm doing it all right now to have the car in tip top shape.Thanks again.

i never tried ready rollers bearings, i use advange bearings try 7k in the center in the buggy. do you race at hobby hut?

you said your eight felt like it was spinning out easy? how many gallons did you , run though it cause when i ran my eight 1.0 it,. was a handfull to drive intill i had about, 2 gallons though it and everything free up it it was easier to drive.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Lower your rear ride height, It will make the front turn in less so the rear wont spin out.
Spektrum
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Tc5,yes i do race there just 3 official races so far since last year.Just got back into it after 14 years and am trying to figure out nitro used to race electric 1/10 scale,and just had 2 gallons through it starting on my third when it gets back together.Betz11 it's at losi suggested settings right now what do you prefer.The one thing i haven't plaled with yet is droop.Thanks for your input guys.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
Tech Adept

well just drop it little by little, untill you get the desired results. My buggy's rear was not turning in enough so I raised the rear height and got the results I wanted. I would think it would do the same for you in reverse?
Spektrum
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Tc5,yes i do race there just 3 official races so far since last year.Just got back into it after 14 years and am trying to figure out nitro used to race electric 1/10 scale,and just had 2 gallons through it starting on my third when it gets back together.Betz11 it's at losi suggested settings right now what do you prefer.The one thing i haven't plaled with yet is droop.Thanks for your input guys.

nitro isnt that hard just take your time and have patience, i too used to race just electric offroad and, im still learning more about nitro.

yea i raced at the hut in the buggy, sportsman class last year about 4 times
but im gone to try to go there more. im racing truggy this year in the sportsman class intill , i get the hang of the track layout.

you had 2 gallons run though it droop makes, a big diffrence and handling i had 95mm droop in the front and 106mm in the rear on my eight 1.0, that really calm down the handling.

also too one thing i notice when i , ran the hut cause its a rough track
is that lighter weight shock. oil in the rear helps alot, like 25w and a change to the shock pistons too and also having the front, and rear lower seem to help the handling a lot.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
You won't find better costumer service anywhere.
2tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Smile

I did go to 25w in rear shocks 35 in the front.Completly rebuilt the shocks titanium rods on all 4 and i think this alone will make a big difference,they feel much smoother,I just got a box of goodies dropped at my doorstep so now i can continue,Thanks to mike at answer-rcusa,it won't be long now hopefully.