Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How can I get my truck ready by saturday? >

How can I get my truck ready by saturday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I get my truck ready by saturday?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How can I get my truck ready by saturday?

Ok my local track is having the first races on saturday, Im still a rookie at tuning. I got a new engine about 5 months ago never broken in to. Im off of school tomorrow is it possibel for me to get my truck ready by saturday?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's a hard question for us to answer for you. I certainly wouldn't suggest rushing anything, especially if you're new to nitro tuning. Do a proper break-in on your engine, or you could shorten it's lifespan considerably.

Go through your RC car/truck and check and make sure all the screws are tight, and that no moving parts are binding. Find out what parts are prone to breaking and get spares. Make sure your clutch is in perfect condition.

Just take your time and try to do it right or you could end up frustrated.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

There is a way, and I don't personally recommend it.

This break in method was mentioned in a Magazine a couple years ago, and i have seen it used by MANY pros at races like Nitro Challenge and Silver State.

Have everything ready. Brand new fuel, starter box, heat gun, a Charged ignitor, temp gun, radio and tuning screw driver.

1. Turn on the radio system, and fill the tank and prime the motor. I recommend priming the engine by blowing into the pressure line. To do so, remove the fuel line from your exhaust and blow into the line until you see fuel enter the motor. Reattach the fuel line.

2. Heat the motor to roughly 160 degrees. You can go higher. Now start your motor and keep it idling. Lean the top end 3 hours so the motor will heat up, and you want it to idle between 160 and 200 degrees for 2 minutes.

3. At this point, you have to pull the trigger on your radio to almost full throttle. While pulling the trigger, you HAVE to, HAVE to richen the motor roughly 2 full turns. The motor should barely run, and should have alot of fuel blowing out of the exhaust.

4. Hold the trigger until you see the tank is almost empty. Once you get to this point, let off of the throttle and lean the motor back out. Refuel the tank and let it idle again at roughly 170 to 200 degrees.

You have to repeat steps 3 and 4 roughly 4 times; each time ramping up the temp so you idle temp should be 200 to 220 degrees.. At this point, you can start running the motor on the ground for a couple tanks and putting more of a race tune on the motor.

Again, i don't recommend this method. Stick with the method in the Break in Bible if you can. This method works, but i believe it shortens the life of the motor. Good luck, and have fun racing.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Honestly....

It takes a long time to break an engine in....If you can use the old engine this weekend and if you just have to then you will need to stay up late....But like the above said, take your time and be patient, and check your car over really good.....
Old 04-02-2010, 06:52 AM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Sure, you could put 1G through in a day maybe. Have a couple spare glow plugs and get started.

Follow the normal break-in method.

That WOT method posted above sounds crazy.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had to do a quick break in a couple weeks ago. Idled one tank through it at 200-240ish and then ran 3 tanks through it doing small runs varying throttle input as much as possible. Threw it on the track for 2 rich practice sessions and then raced it. Tune still changed a bit each qualifier and engine temps dropped each run as well.

Raced it again the following weekend. It now has 1/2 gallon on it and has had a "race tune" for most of that. Couldnt tell you how long it will last but it runs great.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, its possible, you can break in your engine today, you will end up going to about midnight tho. just remember you rush the engine, the life span is short. I run vspecs when I break in, I heat the engine up make sure its wrapped in foil, Idle 2 tanks, before cool down. after that I run 3 tanks at the track, nice and easy. my vspecs last about 6 gallons - 8-9 with a pinch. I know that RBs and novas take way more time to break in... But it can be done
Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

my new motor is still not fully broken in and it's seen about a gallon of fuel. And it has been more then 3 weeks.