Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turning under throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default Turning under throttle

I need some setup tips for making a 1/10 4wd buggy turn better under throttle. Currently if I'm going very fast and I shut the throttle and turn the buggy turns on a dime sometimes even rolls over when traction is superb. However the more throttle I give it, even from a dead stop, the bigger the turning radius. To some extent this is expected, but at full throttle my radius must be 30', it really doesn't want to turn while on the gas. The servo is definitely turning the wheels, I think the root of the problem is the front wheels aren't finding traction. I increased the preload on the rear shocks to put more weight forward and that helped some, but there's got to be more I can do. Any tips are appreciated!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Prophet

but some weights on the front bulkhead, and see if that would help underpower it works great on a 2wd atleast.
i will help the tuning when underpowered.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

less front droop.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

drift!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can also try running less anti-squat. This will decrease rear traction on-power, giving you more steering. Just remember, whatever you do, its a tradeoff and you need to find the right balance. Less front droop should help you a lot and if thats not enough, then try less anti squat. Just be careful not to go so far you lose your corner entry steering.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys; I tightened the preload on all of the suspension and that made a big difference. The car sits a little higher but turns a lot better on the gas.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by MattFL
Thanks guys; I tightened the preload on all of the suspension and that made a big difference. The car sits a little higher but turns a lot better on the gas.
you went the wrong way.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smokinu
you went the wrong way.
hmm.... It made a very big improvement, my turning radius on the gas is 1/2 what it was before I made the adjustment. I think the suspension was too soft before and the car was squatting down and sitting on the chassis causing the wheels to loose traction (I'm on grass). Now the suspension stays up in the stroke and the tires hold traction much much better while turning.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by MattFL
hmm.... It made a very big improvement, my turning radius on the gas is 1/2 what it was before I made the adjustment. I think the suspension was too soft before and the car was squatting down and sitting on the chassis causing the wheels to loose traction (I'm on grass). Now the suspension stays up in the stroke and the tires hold traction much much better while turning.
the car may have been bottoming out in the gross with the grass being so high and the small car. so with the suspension lower it was scraping the crap and pretty much just sliding. and when u raised it it sits above the grass more so it was turning better. depends on what u normally run it on. if u run it on dirt then you'll probly need to drop it lower
Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

if you want on power steering use heavier diff oil in the front than in the center
Old 04-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toofless
if you want on power steering use heavier diff oil in the front than in the center
Thats what I was thinking. Kinda high in front, med in center, low in rear. Don't know what rig so can't give numbers. Check them diffs.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. This is a Kyosho DBX (price point rtr buggy), and I don't think it has oil filled diffs but I will check.