Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
losi 8ight t 2.0 what tires for this track? >

losi 8ight t 2.0 what tires for this track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi 8ight t 2.0 what tires for this track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wouldn't recomend cityblocks for that track surface. They're only good for bluegroove in my experience. Tried them on a similar surface and I had zero grip. But that might have been because I was using the medium soft compound. M3 calibers was the tire of choice for that track, so that's my recommendation, that or i-beams.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

m2 or m3 Calibers
Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
makes sense have you ever notice, though that on a smooth grippy track the city blocks grip to much? and not be able to have any give in the rear ? i do think though thats, just the setup i was using though.
Absolutely, there will be certain conditions where the Cityblocks will prevent the rear of the truggy from rotating easily. In those conditions, the City-Beam will sometimes free up the rear end a tad.

Shane was right though, before you start chasing tires, get a good base set up on your truggy. Also, don't go making broad sweeping changes all at the same time. That will be too many variables to contend with. Start with a base set up, and make small changes, one thing at a time, and see what the results are.

I've seen folks change 4 or 5 settings at one time, AND switch tires. There's no way to tell what efffect each change had, because you don't know which one made the difference.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Soft AKAI beams, just looks a little to loose for city blocks
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Absolutely, there will be certain conditions where the Cityblocks will prevent the rear of the truggy from rotating easily. In those conditions, the City-Beam will sometimes free up the rear end a tad.

Shane was right though, before you start chasing tires, get a good base set up on your truggy. Also, don't go making broad sweeping changes all at the same time. That will be too many variables to contend with. Start with a base set up, and make small changes, one thing at a time, and see what the results are.

I've seen folks change 4 or 5 settings at one time, AND switch tires. There's no way to tell what efffect each change had, because you don't know which one made the difference.
This is VERY good advice. Make ONE change, note the effect, and continue from there. And the stock Losi tires are not "bad" tires... although there are probably better choices for your conditions, they aren't the worst.

I personally like cityblocks in the conditions described, and calibers are very similar. Others may not like them.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Stubbs

when i did the city block on the front, and i-beam in the rear it helped a lot feeing up the rear end. on my buggy that is

my experience with running city, blocks all around and not freeing the rear end up is when track, gets real tacky and smooth.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Soft I-Beams, Soft Cityblocks, M3 Calibers, etc.

If you don't need a mini pin, you can probably get away with Cityblocks or Calibers anywhere. They may not be the BEST, but they will work anywhere.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

68 degrees ambient air temp to start the day (to a high of 76). Super soft Crossbraces on the yellow wheel and soft I-beams on the white wheel.

Track was extremely wet in the morning; the Crossbraces were awesome. No damage occurred the first run. During the second run the track dried considerably (even during the run); a few lugs on each tire were starting to tear.

First qualifier was extremely wet; Crossbraces left on. No further damage observed.

Second qualifier pretty dried out; CityBeam configuration used (both soft). Great grip.

Main, track watered during the first heat and then again right before the buggy main. Crossbraces all the way around (temp now showing 76) as they were the only tire in my box that would clear the mud from the lugs. Soft would have been a much better choice but I didnt have any on hand. Resulting damage is what you see in the pics.

Supersoft

Soft
Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So sounds like soft i beams are my best bet. I don't want to glue them so i was gonna buy them already mounted. Hope they come close to balanced. We'll see.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bacchus
So sounds like soft i beams are my best bet. I don't want to glue them so i was gonna buy them already mounted. Hope they come close to balanced. We'll see.
I always balance them. Some take a little and some take a lot but still always balance them. It's one less thing for the suspension to fight.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

VP-Pro utralflex Axmen with wide tire on narrow rim on the rear.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

PL M2 Calibers would be a good baseline if there is enough surface "fluff" to dig into.

JC Blue Crow-bows would also work well.

Losi Red XBT/Eclipse combo. Greens have potential, but are shearing lugs on rough/high traction tracks.

JC blue Subcultures, AKA Soft City blocks, PL Revolvers all could work if it grooves up and the groove goes 80%+ clean dust-wise.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mblgjr
PL M2 Calibers would be a good baseline if there is enough surface "fluff" to dig into.

JC Blue Crow-bows would also work well.

Losi Red XBT/Eclipse combo. Greens have potential, but are shearing lugs on rough/high traction tracks.

JC blue Subcultures, AKA Soft City blocks, PL Revolvers all could work if it grooves up and the groove goes 80%+ clean dust-wise.
+1 on the xbt front/ eclipse rear combo.

bacchus: You should learn how to glue tires. It's really easy.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 071crazy
+1 on the xbt front/ eclipse rear combo.

bacchus: You should learn how to glue tires. It's really easy.
I can glue tires just don't wanna anymore.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bacchus
Race groove is hard packed and alittle rough. No blue groove. Outter edges of race groove is loose and dusty. I'm a new racer so i'm in the loose a good bit lol. I'm thinking proline calibers soft? I need traction help! Running the stock medium losi tire now.
Try bowfighters ...m3 bowtie rear ... m3 crimefighter front you'll love it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.