Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Race prep tips before you hit the track? >

Race prep tips before you hit the track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Race prep tips before you hit the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Any paticular scent??
Iv'e been using the green. I can't remember the actual scent.. lol
Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jspurgin
I spray my tires with AXE body spray and let them sit in the sun for a while. The traction on a hardpacked bluegroove track is insane. Sounds crazy i know, but it works. lol
Must be hell trying to start a race with all the hot chicks hanging off your car.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Any paticular scent??
haha well i like the pheonix cus when those pink buggys get behind me they go gaga for it haha i had to say it lol but then it wers off and i leave them down the back straight lol
Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slider30250
Must be hell trying to start a race with all the hot chicks hanging off your car.
I have to spray my tires with it to keep the women from mauling me,,,, lol..
Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

I have to spray my tires with it to keep the women from mauling me,,,, lol..
I know what you mean, I have to beat the bizniches off of me with a stick just to get onto the drivers stand!!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I spray my tires with AXE body spray and let them sit in the sun for a while. The traction on a hardpacked bluegroove track is insane. Sounds crazy i know, but it works. lol
...and that's why Jamies truck smell so good going by boys and girls!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I spray mine with fresh oxen urine. It has to be fresh, and preferably warm to work really well. Cat urine works too, but it smells worse.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Grimlock212
I spray mine with fresh oxen urine. It has to be fresh, and preferably warm to work really well. Cat urine works too, but it smells worse.
Whaaaa???
Old 04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Any paticular scent??
all sents are sexy tho exspecially to those mugens with the spec upgrade pink wrap
Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Make sure you put fuel in your tank before you start the warmup for the main. I have had my car die on the starting line and we replaced fuel line and a plug and all it was, was out of fuel. Cost me points in the series but lesson learned.
ive done that, didnt do the fuel line but did the plug.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What I do depends on the race I plan on going to. Club days I will generally do a little less than prepping for a big race like the Silver State or other event of the like. I'll start with a big race prep.

Pre Race:
Stock up on any parts and tires I may need.
Charge everything. Starter box, glo igniters, radio and check that everything works.
Put car ot truck on the setup station with a base line setup (which will differ for people).
New fule lines. Doesn't matter if they are only a couple races old.
New bearings and clutch bell and shoes
Change any parts that are worn, basically the plan is to show up with an almost new car or truck.
Have new fuel. Sucks having some bad fuel and not know it until you get there.
Make sure all items are packed and ready to go. Pretty hard to fix your ride if you left the parts box home, or forgot your chargers.
New air filter

Race day:
Clean the ride as much as you can between heats. A clean ride is a happy ride. Body, tires, chassis. Remove radio tray, fuel tank, and motor if needed.
I usually use some simple green in the tire bucket. Blow off with an air compressor if you brought one or if one is available to use.
New glo plug for the Main.
New air filter at least once depending on if the track is real dusty. For sure a new one before the main

Post race:
Full cleaning with simple green and water. Full tear down. Clean and relube or replace any bearings.
Check clutch bearings and deburr the shoes. Replace if needed.
change shock oils and diff oils
Basically the plan is to get the ride back into pre race form.

Club days start out pretty much the same, but I'll leave the old bearings in if they still feel good and fuel lines on if they are still good. As in no holes in them. New filter and that's pretty much it.
During the club race day I'll usually try to keep the chassis clean or at least brushed off/blown off. Don't usually pull out the motor, radio tray, or tank unless I have to. Clean the tires every run. I usually run a few different sets of tires which helps. It's an OCD thing I guess. Don't usually change the glo plug. If I do it's for the Main and that plug will be the next club race day plug. Basically if it's not broke, I'll leave it alone
Post race is pretty much the same but I may or may not do a full tear down. If the ride needs it I'll do it, but usually just get it cleaned up and ready to work on if needed. May wait a day or two after the club race to clean it. Buggy Grip the tires if needed. Haven't done the WD-40 thing yet, might be something to try on a set.
Sorry for the long post
Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Sorry for the long post
Thanks very much for the long and infromative post.
No objections here.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Fleg,

Thanks. I am pretty sure I left out alot of things that I do specifically, so the post would have been much longer. Most of what I do comes from trail and error or from have the chance to see how the "Pro" guys do their thing. I'm still amazed at how most of those guys do what they do and make it look so easy. Most of what they do in the pits between races makes sence and I understand they "why", it just always seems to take me longer. I still can't glue up a set of tires that fast.

I'd like to say that doing my maint. prep gains me wins, not even close. It does help to make finishing easier and gives me some peice of mind. Some days I still can't drive. LOL.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just make sure you aint gotta take a crap before you race, go pee, nothin worse than racin an havin to go !! Get good tires, spray em, drown em whatever, If you are runnin for 10 minutes, It may give you an edge, Monkey advise, Do your maintenace, get a decent pit guy, have good tires, and go drive, at the end of th day its Tires, Maintenace, Pit guy..and all the other body sprays you can get, I would personally concentrate on the first few aspects of racing, if you are losing by 10ths go get some Tag, or SC 10, WD 40, or whatever, first an formost, go drive, have fun, an drive more!

Monkey
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Fleg,

Thanks. I am pretty sure I left out alot of things that I do specifically, so the post would have been much longer. Most of what I do comes from trail and error or from have the chance to see how the "Pro" guys do their thing. I'm still amazed at how most of those guys do what they do and make it look so easy. Most of what they do in the pits between races makes sence and I understand they "why", it just always seems to take me longer. I still can't glue up a set of tires that fast.

I'd like to say that doing my maint. prep gains me wins, not even close. It does help to make finishing easier and gives me some peice of mind. Some days I still can't drive. LOL.
I have been racing for about 2.5 years now and have came from no mechanical or racing background what so ever. The biggest things I learnt was all good things take time and pacience and Proper Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Thanks for the help guys.
Cheers
Fleggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.