R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Clutch Shoes by Predator Machine Werks

I had the chance to try out some of the aluminum clutch shoes put out by Predator Machine Werks. My first thought was WOW! these feel very light! I was right. These are made of 7075-T651 billet, and weigh in at only 1.50 grams. This is quit a bit lighter than some of the others that I have seen out there.

I installed them on my Hot Bodies D8T to give them a try. Being that they were new, it took a bit to get them to break in. Once they did, it was off to the races. I have only had the chance to run them at one event, but they felt great. Plenty of snap with the 1.1 HB springs. I ran a typical 2- 5min quals, and a 15 minute A main. After the race, I took them off for inspection, and they showed almost zero signs of wear.

It is still very early to tell how they will wear over time, but I thought I would post my initial thoughts, and update as I go. I race almost every weekend, with another decent event coming up next weekend. I will be running these again, to see how they do.

Oh yeah.. and the price?? $14.95 shipped! The shoes I had been running ran me more than that before shipping!

I have another set on the way, to try in my D8. I will post a picture, once I get them.

If interested contact Russell Kinsey at russell.kinsey@gmail.com Predator Machine Werks. He specializes in XRAY suspension plates also.
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

is there a break in process for clutch shoes? if so what is it and does it apply to all clutch shoes?
rc8 racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc8 racer View Post
is there a break in process for clutch shoes? if so what is it and does it apply to all clutch shoes?
No real process. Sorry if I made it seem like that. Normally, just having someone mash the car to the ground, while you pull the trigger (basically slipping the clutch) a few times will wear the surface of a new set of shoes so it has a nice contact surface. If you don't do this, your aluminum clutch will seem to slip alot, until that even contact is made eventually.

Normally, it only takes 1-2 times. In this case it took a few more. That's all.

As for all clutches? no. Carbon/plastic shoes never seem to need this.
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default clutch shoes

Thanks to Danny for the review!
I strive to provide a quality product for a fair price.
We have sold over 100 sets and everyone was happy.
Feel free to contact me as I dont get on many forums too much.

Good luck to all racers,
Russ Kinsey

russell.kinsey@gmail.com
Russ Kinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Just an update on the shoes. So far they have been working out great. I have ran these in 3-4 full race days, as well as some practice sessions. They still have a great feel to them, and show only slight signs of wear. I, for the first time, had a very small amount of slag to touch with a file, but nothing serious.

Just dressed them up, and going back in the buggy, and truggy. If I had to guess, I would say I have close to a gallon on each set. To some, that may not seem like much, but to me, that's pretty darn good. I race quit a bit, so like tires, I probably change out parts sooner than some.

Thanks Russ, for putting out another great option for a clutch choice.