R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Putting the Losi on a diet

Hi guys, was looking for some advice on what to do to my 8ight T 1.0 to drop the weight some. I have looked at Carbon fiber chassis, shock towers, titanium parts and or screws. What would give me the biggest drop in weight to start with?

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

lighter rims and tires will defiely help, 2nd i whould say a lighter chassis lighter spur gear.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Diet

First thing is keep your truck from drive thru eating. Taco bell, Mc Donalds, and the like are terrible for your trucks appearance. No binge eating either. Keep an eye out for the first few weeks from sneakin eating at night.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Freeing up the drivetrain is the best way to make the car feel lighter. I would start with lightened outdrives on the diffs, lightened spurgear, alum f/r center driveline couplers and then only if you feel it necessary alum axles. Do be warned that the f/r drveline couplers will wear quicke than the stock so you need to rotate them sooner and use new holes and the alum axles will break occasionally. But to free up the power that is the best fastest way to make the car feel lighter.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
First thing is keep your truck from drive thru eating. Taco bell, Mc Donalds, and the like are terrible for your trucks appearance. No binge eating either. Keep an eye out for the first few weeks from sneakin eating at night.
I KNEW IT!!!!!!! Thats where my groceries have been going! I thought the 8ight t was looking a little thick around the middle, thats it, it's going on the treadmill when I get home today!!!!

Quote:
lighter rims and tires will defiely help, 2nd i whould say a lighter chassis lighter spur gear.
TC5 MAN, I have J Concepts tires and foams on Pro Line LPR rims as well as Losi LPR's

Quote:
Freeing up the drivetrain is the best way to make the car feel lighter. I would start with lightened outdrives on the diffs, lightened spurgear, alum f/r center driveline couplers and then only if you feel it necessary alum axles. Do be warned that the f/r drveline couplers will wear quicke than the stock so you need to rotate them sooner and use new holes and the alum axles will break occasionally. But to free up the power that is the best fastest way to make the car feel lighter.

Frank L, I thought about putting some light weight drivline components on but I'm wondering if it that will just make the truck harder to drive on slick tracks due to the increased punch the engine will have.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Why?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuming View Post
Why?
Why to which statement?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Tech Adept

The original topic, why do you need to lighten up your car. Just asking, I see alot of guys spending $100s to do this and really all they need is practice. Not my money just asking. For novice drivers and club racers, I really dont think you will see a huge time difference. Thats all
Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
I KNEW IT!!!!!!! Thats where my groceries have been going! I thought the 8ight t was looking a little thick around the middle, thats it, it's going on the treadmill when I get home today!!!!

TC5 MAN, I have J Concepts tires and foams on Pro Line LPR rims as well as Losi LPR's

Frank L, I thought about putting some light weight drivline components on but I'm wondering if it that will just make the truck harder to drive on slick tracks due to the increased punch the engine will have.

on a truggy lightening the drivetrain, i dont think whould be that bad on a slick track compared to a buggy. but really though, if your not a pro i dont think you would notice any diffrence, but i do remmend the light weight spur gear.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
The original topic, why do you need to lighten up your car. Just asking, I see alot of guys spending $100s to do this and really all they need is practice. Not my money just asking. For novice drivers and club racers, I really dont think you will see a huge time difference. Thats all
Because it helps with fuel economy as well as less stress on parts when you crash due to less weight. You don't have to drive the truck as hard for the same lap times. This was from one of the senior drivers I had talked to.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Ok good points, I never had an issue where that come up. Thats all. I broke on part last year front spindle. I pit at 9:30 - 10 on my vspec to be safe I can pit at 11 - 11:30 on a technical track.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Ok good points, I never had an issue where that come up. Thats all. I broke on part last year front spindle. I pit at 9:30 - 10 on my vspec to be safe I can pit at 11 - 11:30 on a technical track.
It's all cool man. As you can tell from my signature I'm running a .28xp, partly because it was a Christmas present along with the pipe and partly because it was affordable at that time. At my current weight of 9.2 pounds I have to pit at 8 minutes, yes I know that with the .28xp I'm not going to make a huge difference in runtimes but it will help until I'm in the market for a good .21 and pipe combo.