R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I liked my CEN but I was coming from a t-maxx. I didn't race it long enough to testify to it's durability because someone hit me head on and it broke the front chassis brace. Since then I've started racing a buddies Losi 8T 1.0. Honestly to me the CEN was easier to drive. I've got the parts to put it back together but I just haven't yet.
mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriffwraff View Post
Hey, you never stated how much you can afford to spend. What's your budget?

For the most part, this is an extraordinarily rewarding experience. However, one should be advised of the hyper-expense of this hobby. Ready to run or ready to race, you're going to spend thousands of dollars on parts, consumables and associated fees. Be prepared to spend thousands of hours of wrenching on your rig as well. I share this not to discourage, but to educate and caution you of the reality of ownership. Digest that and then pick your poison.

They look like toys, but [money+time] they're not. Nonetheless, passion [poison] considered, it's almost worth the money and time to me.
i know im going to have to spend alot of money and i already do i race staidum trucks and i have alot of money in parts etc. and my budget is about 400 or so and the only reason for that is 200 from both parents neither of my parents like RC they think its a waste of time and told me they have no idea what the attraction is. and my parents are split up so thats why i get 200 from each :P
I<3RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3RC View Post
i know im going to have to spend alot of money and i already do i race staidum trucks and i have alot of money in parts etc. and my budget is about 400 or so and the only reason for that is 200 from both parents neither of my parents like RC they think its a waste of time and told me they have no idea what the attraction is. and my parents are split up so thats why i get 200 from each :P

Take your dad or mom to an organized race if you can. They need to see and hear the awesome action of racing. Let them see how these rc vehicles are not toys and that the racing is competitive. Have a guy at the track show them the components that make up a 1/8th scale offroad truggy or buggy and I guarantee you they will have an awakening...

I'd also recommend getting a part time job to show them that you're serious about racing and mature in your approach. I understand that you're young so it can be hard to drop big dough on rc so try and find a happy medium.
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Any initial purchase cost saving you find in a RTR kit will be eaten up very quickly if you start to race it - or even regularly bash it to be honest. Like Ruune and Riff, I spent ALOT of time, effort and funds on bringing the CEN to a truly competitive level - in the end I probably had more aftermarket and other manufacturers parts on it! If however you still are only able to base your purchase on the intial costs of an all up package then a new in box CEN Arena RTR at around $350 will be as good a value for money package as any of the other kits - get the CNC bellcrank upgrade tho. Another option would be to try and pick up preowned race gear that has been well looked after. Your local track will often have racers there who have good used gear they are willing to part with. If you do go this way (and you don't know the seller), try to spend some time watching them race, preparing their gear, working at their pit table to get a feel of how well the gear is looked after and maintained - no point is buying something that has been thrashed to hell and back.

And wriff, is that a new 6T punisher body? Time to stop getting the lookalike and just release the moths from the wallet and splurge on the real thing I think
TRArena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRArena View Post
And wriff, is that a new 6T punisher body? Time to stop getting the lookalike and just release the moths from the wallet and splurge on the real thing I think

Yep, it's a JConcepts Punisher body for the MBX6T.

Yep, if I were to buy today, I'd make a moooove to Mooogen. I mean, as you know, I was a bit motivated to get a new rig b/c of Losi's rebate, so I polled a few folks here and there to see which [Losi or Mugen] was the better bet. To my surprise, most folks suggested that the Mugen had an edge over the Losi. So with that in mind, I've relaxed about the rebate and have decided to keep pushing the CEN truggy. You never know though, the race season is still young, so...

My goal is to qualify for my local club championship race come season end[top five of the season] - I could be wrong, but I think I can get it done with the CEN. I placed 6th in the season opener, so there's a good chance. I think I can do better... I crashed here and there and I pit-stopped multiple times during the 20 min main. So, with that in mind, I need to take no more than one pitstop at the ten minute mark and reduce my crashes to place in the top five from this point forward.
wriffwraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ruune Send a message via AIM to Ruune Send a message via Yahoo to Ruune

I just started running a Mugen, after running a losi, after running a cen. Mugen is wicked fast right out of the box (M-spec). took very little tweaking. Now, i'm going to get my losi truggy on par with my mugen. good times.
Ruune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (94%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rast4man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruune View Post
Dude, Gene's former ride is a far cry from the bone stock FRE. Trust me, I've been farther down that road than most. The next-gen one promises to be on-par with the ST-RR, but with better shocks and a bit lighter weight. Until then, if you're racing... look for something released in the past year or so.
Bit of advice... stay away from any RTR with plastic shock bodies. That includes the likes of AE and some others.

If you want a good, solid RTR foundation, check out the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR. They have a $150 rebate right now, so they can be had for around $500 bones. That includes a spektrum DX3S with telemetry, sick starter box, and basically everything less fuel and battery charger. You'll need to play around with the setup to get it just right, but it can be done out of the box.
Not only did I get Gene's but I also got Shooks and took the parts and combined. I still have enough parts to build another one. I agree, having his setup is definitely a huge bonus but I did have to put a bunch of stuff on it myself. I'm not much of a truggy guy personally, I prefer buggy but this just got my foot in the door for racing yet another class. They hook me up proper.
rast4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torian4000 View Post
Take your dad or mom to an organized race if you can. They need to see and hear the awesome action of racing. Let them see how these rc vehicles are not toys and that the racing is competitive. Have a guy at the track show them the components that make up a 1/8th scale offroad truggy or buggy and I guarantee you they will have an awakening...

I'd also recommend getting a part time job to show them that you're serious about racing and mature in your approach. I understand that you're young so it can be hard to drop big dough on rc so try and find a happy medium.
good advice, thanks man
I<3RC is offline   Reply With Quote