R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #61
Tech Elite
 
hakmazter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,469
Default

By the way, unfortunately the mods at rccaraction forums deleted the original thread for back in 2005 when Peckham designed the first brushless buggy since I was using it for reference to tick off the major players for calling us a knockoff, but I did find when he switched over the the eight and converted it Sept 2006.

Such a shame that the conversion companies copied our original idea and then the manufacturers copied them. So if you copy a copy, is that even worse?

By the way, this is before WE got involved with Caster Racing......

http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthre...ht=glassdoctor
__________________
I mass produced the first electric 1/8 scale buggy and truggy.
www.HopeWDM.org
I have thousands of dollars of caster racing inventory available.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #62
Tech Elite
 
hakmazter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,469
Default

There is nothing more to say. I would hope that people would support Caster USA because of what we have accomplished, what we do, and who we are. If not, then maybe you will change your mind in the future.

Either way, we have improved our products, added cars, parts, etc... Moved the industry forward by being on the forefront of electric 1/8 (please realize if it wasn't for us, the others would not have followed) We have supported tracks and racers and race events and we will be here in the future. Each day that goes by, we make better products and we get seen by more and more people and we get bigger.

And the more people say we are a cheap Mugen knockoff, the more sales we get because people price shop (especially in this economy) and they compare our pricing to Mugen parts and kits on Amain, then they start investigating and asking, and then they buy.

They give us a shot and are 99 out of 100 times feeling that they got more than they expected in numerous ways. Handling, Pricing, Support, Fun.....etc.
__________________
I mass produced the first electric 1/8 scale buggy and truggy.
www.HopeWDM.org
I have thousands of dollars of caster racing inventory available.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #63
Tech Elite
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
So you honestly believe that every Mugen part is made in Japan? If it is, then they are the only company in the rc industry who is not in bed with China/Taiwan and I would not take that bet.

So why are you so racist towards the Chinese? Everything is made over there. It is like saying that Canadians suck because they are not Americans or something.
Did I say that I believe every Mugen part is made in Japan?
Racist towards the Chinese? OMG. How old are you? Your deductive logic, isn't.
Let me expound on that a bit since quite obviously you are WAY off.

Do you POSSIBLY think that someone could be disgusted with the Chinese authorities 100% lack of caring and ignoring patent laws and piracy, but have nothing against the Chinese? Its just that simple.

Now in your mind, if that makes someone racist towards Chinese people, well then I have some Oceanfront property I would like to sell you in Wyoming.

Newsflash: everything is NOT made in China, by the way. And most buggies are not 80%+ copies of an already dated model, and made with inferior parts that lack quality control or testing before release to the public. Most people as well dont form a large group of "Team Drivers" to move last years stock before the new model comes out either though.

Its kinda tough to have fun when every time its raced it breaks, no I have never had one, but several raced at my local track for a few races, and I was at the PNB2.
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #64
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Did I say that I believe every Mugen part is made in Japan?
Racist towards the Chinese? OMG. How old are you? Your deductive logic, isn't.
Let me expound on that a bit since quite obviously you are WAY off.

Do you POSSIBLY think that someone could be disgusted with the Chinese authorities 100% lack of caring and ignoring patent laws and piracy, but have nothing against the Chinese? Its just that simple.

Now in your mind, if that makes someone racist towards Chinese people, well then I have some Oceanfront property I would like to sell you in Wyoming.

Newsflash: everything is NOT made in China, by the way. And most buggies are not 80%+ copies of an already dated model, and made with inferior parts that lack quality control or testing before release to the public. Most people as well dont form a large group of "Team Drivers" to move last years stock before the new model comes out either though.

Its kinda tough to have fun when every time its raced it breaks, no I have never had one, but several raced at my local track for a few races, and I was at the PNB2.
Pretty harsh there, especially as you admit you've never had one... of course your signature doesn't give us any clue as to a possible ulterior motives...
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #65
Tech Elite
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Pretty harsh there, especially as you admit you've never had one... of course your signature doesn't give us any clue as to a possible ulterior motives...
Brad I dont need to own one to know. I have several race friends that I have pitted with many times over teh last 2 years that have them and I have worked on them and helped them.

Its pretty harsh being called racist, huh? I didnt call anyone names, did I?
But when I am called a name and for a ludicrous reason, I will certainly defend myself, and return fire.

My sig?
Ulterior motives?
I dont consider Caster a competitor to Mugen at all. Not an issue. But I am not happy about it being a MBX5 copy.
When I sold/distributed Z-Cars I felt the same way and stated so several times. And nobody could accuse Z-Car of copying anyone, right?

Perhaps you are not aware of the issue with Chinese copyright violations and the piracy that runs rampant there?
Hey if you are cool with taking someone elses design they spent major $ for R&D on and then copying it with poor quality materials fine, but personally I feel it is not morally correct, and I will not support it in any way shape form or fashion.

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=7939
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #66
Tech Elite
 
hakmazter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,469
Default

So if you distributed z-car, then you know who makes them, correct?
__________________
I mass produced the first electric 1/8 scale buggy and truggy.
www.HopeWDM.org
I have thousands of dollars of caster racing inventory available.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #67
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Brad I dont need to own one to know. I have several race friends that I have pitted with many times over teh last 2 years that have them and I have worked on them and helped them.
What specific problems did you see? When were the cars made? Note that I'm NOT a "Caster Fanboi" but I think the negative comments on here have been a bit excessive... and almost exclusively from folks who have never owned one.

Quote:
Its pretty harsh being called racist, huh? I didnt call anyone names, did I?
But when I am called a name and for a ludicrous reason, I will certainly defend myself, and return fire.
Agreed... and perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words, and in fact may not have conveyed the writer's meaning precisely.

Quote:
My sig?
Ulterior motives?
I dont consider Caster a competitor to Mugen at all. Not an issue. But I am not happy about it being a MBX5 copy.
If Caster is not a competitor, why would you care?

But... just because some parts will interchange doesn't mean it is a copy. The difference between the Caster and the Mugen is about as much as the difference between the Jammin X1 and the Kyosho... and about as many parts interchange. BTW I used to run a Jammin... with Kyosho CVDs... and Hyper 7 center "dogbones" because they are lighter. Parts interchange... does that make them all copies? How about my friend who used to run a MBX5 with an XRAY XB8 front end? (To improve steering...) Is the Mugen an XRAY copy? After all, I've seen some parts interchanged... where is the line drawn? food for thought.

Quote:
When I sold/distributed Z-Cars I felt the same way and stated so several times. And nobody could accuse Z-Car of copying anyone, right?
Well... it was very Kyosho-ish... or is that Jammin-ish? Or maybe XRAY-ish? Or Sportwerks-ish? Ooops... the Sportwerks (Or should we just be honest and say Losi??? It is, after all, the same company...) is closer to the Mugen. Uh-oh... another possible copycat?

Quote:
Perhaps you are not aware of the issue with Chinese copyright violations and the piracy that runs rampant there?
Yes, I am very well aware of that issue.

Quote:
Hey if you are cool with taking someone elses design they spent major $ for R&D on and then copying it with poor quality materials fine, but personally I feel it is not morally correct, and I will not support it in any way shape form or fashion.
So exactly which of the above listed companies are you not going to support? Just curious... because this seems to be a very widespread problem. Or is it a problem? (BTW the same problem... i.e. similarities in layout, features, etc... seems to be prevalant in full scale cars too.) I agree that there are a lot of similarities between various manufacturers. Some of that is dictated by rules, some by practicality of the "standard" way to do things, some by marketing... and yes, some by copying.

Determining what drives design choices is difficult at best.

How is that related to Caster? I realize you are using that example to make your point... but it isn't exactly relevant.
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #68
Tech Elite
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
So if you distributed z-car, then you know who makes them, correct?
I never traveled there to observe them in production but they always told me in was in their plant in China, and some in Taiwan.
I have no problem with production in China at all, let me make that clear. My problem is with the giant issue of copyright violations there that their Govt ignores .
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #69
Tech Elite
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
What specific problems did you see? When were the cars made? Note that I'm NOT a "Caster Fanboi" but I think the negative comments on here have been a bit excessive... and almost exclusively from folks who have never owned one.



Agreed... and perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words, and in fact may not have conveyed the writer's meaning precisely.



If Caster is not a competitor, why would you care?

But... just because some parts will interchange doesn't mean it is a copy. The difference between the Caster and the Mugen is about as much as the difference between the Jammin X1 and the Kyosho... and about as many parts interchange. BTW I used to run a Jammin... with Kyosho CVDs... and Hyper 7 center "dogbones" because they are lighter. Parts interchange... does that make them all copies? How about my friend who used to run a MBX5 with an XRAY XB8 front end? (To improve steering...) Is the Mugen an XRAY copy? After all, I've seen some parts interchanged... where is the line drawn? food for thought.



Well... it was very Kyosho-ish... or is that Jammin-ish? Or maybe XRAY-ish? Or Sportwerks-ish? Ooops... the Sportwerks (Or should we just be honest and say Losi??? It is, after all, the same company...) is closer to the Mugen. Uh-oh... another possible copycat?



Yes, I am very well aware of that issue.



So exactly which of the above listed companies are you not going to support? Just curious... because this seems to be a very widespread problem. Or is it a problem? (BTW the same problem... i.e. similarities in layout, features, etc... seems to be prevalant in full scale cars too.) I agree that there are a lot of similarities between various manufacturers. Some of that is dictated by rules, some by practicality of the "standard" way to do things, some by marketing... and yes, some by copying.

Determining what drives design choices is difficult at best.



How is that related to Caster? I realize you are using that example to make your point... but it isn't exactly relevant.
Thanks for the nice reply Brad.
I am aware that some parts from other cars interchange, yes.
But not 80% of them, like the buggy we are discussing with another brand, a virtual clone. There is a difference between discovering that a part from another car will fit, and knowing it will because your car is a virtual clone of another, thats the line I personally use.
The Z-Car is very unique, and copied nobody, its why it has 7 patents on it. I dont think anybody can say that is copying. Its (3 years later) still one of the most different and "out of the box"kits out there to date.
Durango and Serpent have just made 2 completely new innovative designs, all of their own, so it is entirely possible to do so.
There is a large difference between a couple of parts interchanging, and 80+% of another car that it was copied from.

FYI Sportworks is no more, I think they closed 6-7 months ago, but everyone knew they and Losi were both owned by Horizon, so bleedover was inevitable between them.

Its pretty uncool to have all the HPI baja Chinese clones out there as well and the LST clones, etc.
So I guess to answer your question I would never support a clone company.
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #70
Tech Elite
 
hakmazter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,469
Default

You just lost all credibility.

Maybe I can make it more clear. Caster is an OEM manufacturer known for making Caster, Ishima, and Hobbytech. They also make parts for several other companies who choose to remain anonymous.

I also mentioned that we have 2 different suspension systems and last I knew, Mugen has 1.

I also mentioned the fusion lineup which gets no props from you, but was obviously not a copy of anything in existence.

I also mentioned that we have worked really hard in making our products on the same playing field as everyone else and I feel that now we are there.

If you want though, we can move a brake disc to the other side of the shaft therefore putting more weight outboard or we can redesign a wing mount that mounts to a bulkhead also or put a center diff brace on the side instead of on top, then maybe, just maybe we too can be revolutionary in your eyes.
__________________
I mass produced the first electric 1/8 scale buggy and truggy.
www.HopeWDM.org
I have thousands of dollars of caster racing inventory available.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #71
Tech Elite
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
You just lost all credibility.

Maybe I can make it more clear. Caster is an OEM manufacturer known for making Caster, Ishima, and Hobbytech. They also make parts for several other companies who choose to remain anonymous.

I also mentioned that we have 2 different suspension systems and last I knew, Mugen has 1.

I also mentioned the fusion lineup which gets no props from you, but was obviously not a copy of anything in existence.

I also mentioned that we have worked really hard in making our products on the same playing field as everyone else and I feel that now we are there.

If you want though, we can move a brake disc to the other side of the shaft therefore putting more weight outboard or we can redesign a wing mount that mounts to a bulkhead also or put a center diff brace on the side instead of on top, then maybe, just maybe we too can be revolutionary in your eyes.
LOL how, pray tell, did I lose all credibility?

Did I say Caster wasn't an OEM manufacturer? No.
You may have 2 suspensions (only could find one, btw) but your car is a clone of the Mugen, thats no secret.
In case you arent aware somehow, look at the pictures of your car here
http://www.casterracing.com/car/main...hp?cid=3&iid=5
and then look at the mugen here http://www.mugenseiki.com/menueefi.htm
Hmmm lets see here, other than the radio tray, its basically a clone.
The suspension, the gastank, the fuel filter, etc etc.
I provided examples of how its possible to NOT make a clone, despite your absurd rationale trying to say its not. Its really easy, design your own car and dont copy one, the fact its entirely possible is proven by Z-Car, Serpent and Durango.
I am not saying you have to be revolutionary, just design your own car, if you are going to call it yours, is all I am saying.
If you would like I can post a series of pictures showing the Mugen, and the Caster buggy, side by side, and its glaringly obvious that its a clone.
Sorry but your reply that "I cant design another buggy that would be different enough from being a clone that it would not be good" has rather made you lose credibility, as proven by the new different buggies I have mentioned.

Fusion lineup? I wasn't discussing the Fusion, and as its electric, I really dont know much about it as electric is not my thing. I have heard its pretty nice, however.

How do you feel about all the Baja clones coming out of China?
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #72
Tech Adept
 
bigwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 173
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

hakmazter, I have been looking to replace my Jammin' X1 CRT for sometime. I think you mentioned that AMain was a reseller of your Caster product. I did not find any Kits nor parts on their site. So who is reselling your stuff and what is the price for the Pro Truggy?

Not to add or get in the middle of the rock throwing, but the Caster does look close to the Mugen Buggy and Truggy. The price on Mugen is way to high for my budget.

Thanks,

BigWhit.
bigwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #73
Tech Elite
 
hakmazter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,469
Default

No sir, we are not in amain right now. What I said was that people compare our prices to the prices of Mugen parts at amain and compare. AMain is the place that a lot of people go for internet shopping and they have good pricing.

It will be nice when we are in Amain because that will add credibility to us in a lot of people's eyes. As of today, that is not the case, but I need to update our dealer page since we did have a few more companies recently join in.
__________________
I mass produced the first electric 1/8 scale buggy and truggy.
www.HopeWDM.org
I have thousands of dollars of caster racing inventory available.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #74
Tech Adept
 
bigwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 173
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
No sir, we are not in amain right now. What I said was that people compare our prices to the prices of Mugen parts at amain and compare. AMain is the place that a lot of people go for internet shopping and they have good pricing.

It will be nice when we are in Amain because that will add credibility to us in a lot of people's eyes. As of today, that is not the case, but I need to update our dealer page since we did have a few more companies recently join in.
Sorry about misunderstanding on amain.
bigwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #75
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Some where
Posts: 3,015
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Caster Looks Like a mugen and runs great while doing so.
__________________
T5M 7.5
22 3.0 7.5
SickWitiTRacing(Jayson)
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Damnit, the lipo battery industry needs better standards! Freezebyte Electric Off-Road 130 06-20-2017 10:07 AM
"the tuning bible" houston Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 311 04-24-2017 11:18 PM
RC FLIGHT brading Manila Racers 23110 12-24-2015 06:23 PM
Bringing the hobby mainstream TomBlaze Electric Off-Road 177 04-17-2008 10:03 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:20 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net