R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #16
noR
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to noR Send a message via MSN to noR Send a message via Yahoo to noR

I don't think anyone should be knockin' Japan quality.
Kyosho's aren't toys. And don't break easily.

China's nearby, but world's away imo.

That said, Caster Racing; I believe they're based in Ohio. I'm not sure where their parts come from, but I hear there's a strong grassroots support system inplace. Lots of locals running the local gear so-to-speak.

I'd be happy to drive: Kyosho, AE, X-Ray, Mugen, Losi, Caster, Hot Bodies, O'Donnell. And I think that's probably my order of preference.

That's probably because I've never had an O'Donnell.

If you're new to the hobby, and if you have a local track. I really recommend you look at what the Local Hobby Shop has to offer, and see if you can't get something that you have local parts-support for. Even better if there's a few others who frequent the track w/the same model; as it's great for sharing setup information or assembly/disassembly tricks. Little hop-up tips etc.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by noR View Post
I don't think anyone should be knockin' Japan quality.
Kyosho's aren't toys. And don't break easily.
Wasn't knocking Japan... (if you mean me) I just think XRAY is the best on quality, period. 2 words for you: Hudy Steel. Note I said Japan was next on quality (Kyosho and Mugen Seiki.)

Quote:
China's nearby, but world's away imo.

That said, Caster Racing; I believe they're based in Ohio. I'm not sure where their parts come from, but I hear there's a strong grassroots support system inplace. Lots of locals running the local gear so-to-speak.
Caster, like many brands, is made in Asia. WHERE it is made doesn't matter. The quality depends on the practices of the company making it. Here is a good example for you:

Would you rather have a sportscar made in Italy or in Korea? Think carefully before you answer, and compare apples to apples...

I would take the one made in Korea (Hyundai) vs. one in the same price range made in Italy (Fiat).

Quote:
I'd be happy to drive: Kyosho, AE, X-Ray, Mugen, Losi, Caster, Hot Bodies, O'Donnell. And I think that's probably my order of preference.

That's probably because I've never had an O'Donnell.
Agreed on the selections, if not QUITE the same order.

Quote:
If you're new to the hobby, and if you have a local track. I really recommend you look at what the Local Hobby Shop has to offer, and see if you can't get something that you have local parts-support for. Even better if there's a few others who frequent the track w/the same model; as it's great for sharing setup information or assembly/disassembly tricks. Little hop-up tips etc.
Very well said.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
Tech Adept

There is nothing to make me sway from my "sloppy" LOSI. My second choice is Mugen. I personally seen touched and ran with a caster, which in my opinion is nothing but a half drawn, half mugen... But the quality of parts is not good. First lap broke both rear arms, replaced with MUNGENs, next lap broke both front arms, replaced with mugen. The caster is not cheap in price. But almost all the RC stuff is made some where in asia. And its not where you get them made, its the materials you want to pay for. You can find good deals on AE and or HB stuff...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

You get what you pay for most of the time....Things might look the same, but quality of materials can be quite different and can end up costing you more in replacement parts.

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ofna are great durable buggies and truggies, i had ofna from when i started and just now went with O'donnell and i love it, i like it more than all the other brands. i ran a few mugens this weekend and they are right there with OD but i like OD just a little more but Mugen is my second choice. losi is great but just not for me, i dont like how they handle, but that is just driver preference. the best thing to do is get what appears best to you and for your price point and never look back.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

What do you peeps think to Tamiya?
My local hobby shop stocks only Tamiya products (except accessories, fuel and such) so if I wanted ready spares I would have to get a Tamiya =/
c9311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9311 View Post
My local hobby shop stocks only Tamiya products (except accessories, fuel and such) so if I wanted ready spares I would have to get a Tamiya =/
Hmmm... looks like we forgot to list one. New truggy (only thing I've looked at up close) looks really good... and Ryan Lutz is right in the mix with the other big names with that truck. Quality and performance both appear to be as good as any other decent brand.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Tamiya is hardly a generic brand. Their 8th scale cars are quite nice and work very well.

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If cost is a major concern, go with the Hot Bodies. It is a proven performer regardless of anyones opinion.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
Tamiya is hardly a generic brand. Their 8th scale cars are quite nice and work very well.
Tamiya makes 340,000 car, just make sure you get the Tamiya TRF801X. This is the race one and I think they are pretty good.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
tamiya are great buggy and truggies but like Shuming said make sure its the TRF801X or TRF801Xt.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
noR
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to noR Send a message via MSN to noR Send a message via Yahoo to noR

DOMIT: No no, not directed at anyone , just adding my take to the thread man.

And wow, I forgot about Tamaiya. I haven't seen their products up close; but I believe they're one of the best.

They've been in the game forever, and do not only R/C vehicles, but Models (high level of detail work) as well.

Last edited by noR; 03-31-2010 at 11:38 AM.
noR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Amain also has some really good prices on the Tamiya kits right now; truggy is $479.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

On the off chance that you may find a really good deal and a quality kit that is comparable to mugen and xray and saving (at most) $100 is it really worth the risk? Lets say you really got lucky and the quality is even better than the well known names, what about the parts? you will be totally dependent on parts from china not to forget the time wasted waiting for those parts to arrive.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
Tech Elite

1.) Caster USA is based out of Iowa, not Ohio (not a big deal, but a mentionable fact)

2.) Caster has never really been pushed in the US marketplace. We have been a grassroots company trying to make our products to the level of a Mugen or Kyosho instead of selling a substandard product to the general public. That is changing with the 2010 lineup. We have a real car lineup now. AND we have 5 or 6 really quick drivers that are not famous all across the US running for us so expect to see great race results for 2010 also.

3.) Caster is not expensive. Our pro kits range from $375-425 street price and have way more aluminum than the others, handle better, and are just as durable if not moreso. Put it next to ANY other car on a hobby store shelf and compare it and we win. Put it on the track and you would be silly not to buy one at this point. But we are still fairly small and the industry still doesn't accept us because I am not Gene Hickerson or Gil Losi or Greg Degani, etc....

However, as each day passes, that changes because we keep increasing sales month after month and more people are seeing our products and thinking that it isn't what they expected, but much better.

Our replacement parts are cheaper than the people we compete against except for the wheels, tires, and bodies. We do not consider Hot Bodies, OFNA, or HPI our competitors in the marketplace, but if everyone wants, we can change our focus and compete there.

It is very easy to sell cars all day long that are cheap and sell replacement parts by the truckload. We choose to sell value and performance and we have been 100% honest about our successes and failures since day one. It is proven in these very forums.

However, it is frustrating to see diff issues, chassis plates breaking, towers breaking or bending in all the other brand threads and it is accepted as part of racing and the big boys get a free pass.

4.) Everything is made in China/Taiwan. I know a lot of what is made by whom and I just have to laugh at the end of the day, but Caster is here to stay and we do our best to sell a great product at a great price and we know every US customer of ours unless they intentionally choose to be a ghost.

Call Kyosho or Losi or Mugen and tell them your name and see what they say. Ask a new or ex Caster guy if they think Mike knows them, if not ask if one of the other guys such as Chris, Rick, or Jonathan or Dustin do. That attitude will continue as long as I am in charge.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.

Last edited by hakmazter; 03-31-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: forgot drivers
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote