R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Thinking about a change

I have an OFNA 9.5 with a bump start Force 25 engine on it. I have been thinking about changing the engine to a roto start. Mainly because I don't want to keep carrying the bump start box everywhere. What are peoples opinions about this? Stay bump start or change to roto start?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

You would have to still carry around a roto start... Whats wrong with a good ol' pull start?
c9311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie219 View Post
I have an OFNA 9.5 with a bump start Force 25 engine on it. I have been thinking about changing the engine to a roto start. Mainly because I don't want to keep carrying the bump start box everywhere. What are peoples opinions about this? Stay bump start or change to roto start?
Don't even think about it.
If you want it easy, keep the start-box but get a pull start. If you can settle with budget engines and pull-start/rotostart performance thats fair enough, but when the one-way bearing breaks down for the second time, you'll regret gettin rid uf the startbox.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casevac View Post
Don't even think about it.
If you want it easy, keep the start-box but get a pull start. If you can settle with budget engines and pull-start/rotostart performance thats fair enough, but when the one-way bearing breaks down for the second time, you'll regret gettin rid uf the startbox.
+100 after the first couple pull start or roto start bearing you go through your going to be missing that bump box...its one of those things you dont know what you had til its gone..yah there a little big and heavy but sooo sooo worth it!!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Use the same money that the roto start and related components would cost to buy cheap lipos and charger for the bump box to make it lighter.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I appreciate all the help. I really like the idea of getting lipos for the bump box. I wasn't really thinking about completely getting rid of the bump box. Just changing the engine. Where is a good place to get batteries for the box?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

go to hobbycity and look at there batteries! They are cheap as hell and they are really dependable! A lot of people like there batteries. get a 4s.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Next question. I found the lipos. What volt am I looking for and will I need to mod the bump box with a deans plug?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Tech Addict

I don't care how heavy the bump box is(I used a gel cell from a CPU battery back-up in mine) it still better than worrying about a pull string breaking, a one-way going out, or a roto-start dying on you. To me, the starter box is just an extention of the buggy.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Next question. I found the lipos. What volt am I looking for and will I need to mod the bump box with a deans plug?
If it doesn't have one... or get an adapter...

Worth it though.

Almost without exception you will get more performance from a bump-start engine vs. pull-start or roto-start... and there are reliability issues with both pull and roto starts.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

This has helped me make my decision. I will not be changing to the roto and for sure not a pull-start. I have a friend that is a professional at fix the pull cord because he has had to do it 13,000 times. So basically what I need is a battery to power the motor. Doesn't seem to matter what kind. Does it need to be 12v? How would I wire up a battery? I guess I should mention that right now it is wire to hook up to a car battery, which is really my burden. I bought the box from a local. I am about to enter my first races this year so I just want to be ready. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
This has helped me make my decision. I will not be changing to the roto and for sure not a pull-start. I have a friend that is a professional at fix the pull cord because he has had to do it 13,000 times. So basically what I need is a battery to power the motor. Doesn't seem to matter what kind. Does it need to be 12v? How would I wire up a battery? I guess I should mention that right now it is wire to hook up to a car battery, which is really my burden. I bought the box from a local. I am about to enter my first races this year so I just want to be ready. Thanks for all the help.

Battery should be in the 12.x + volt range. Gel cell 12v batteries (like used to "back up" home alarm systems) or 2 7.2v stick packs or the approximate equivilant in lipo packs, meaning either 2 2s packs or a 4s pack. Lipos need a charger that specifically is designed to charge them. And you might think about getting a low voltage cut off if you put lipos in it... it will help keep you from discharging them too far and ruining a battery. (Lipos don't like to be discharged too far...)