R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Novice Needs help choosing between Boss and Alpha

hi guys, im still fairly new to the nitro scene. i spent most of last year getting familiar with my car and learning the ropes of nitro engines and such. im thinking of getting a new motor so that i can apply everything i have learned over the past year and get it all right from the start....as i guess everybody's first nitro motor takes some real abuse Both these are available at my local hobbieshop and are on a clearance sale, so the prices are relatively cheap.

the first is the Sm Boss .21 7 port rally competition. im leaning towards this due to the price.

the second is the Alpha plus .21 7 port witch is a small bit more expensive than the Boss. (green head)

At the same price of the Alpha, the Boss comes in a Mario Rossi tuned version as well. decisions decisions

thx in advance for the advice
Attached Thumbnails
Novice Needs help choosing between Boss and Alpha-b21rally_mini.jpg   Novice Needs help choosing between Boss and Alpha-alpha2809091.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

GOOOO THE ALPHA!!!!

i run the z852 (green head) with the aplus 0801 pipe

it is a gun engine. Very tight when you first get it but use the break in method that is a sticky on the forum and it goes great. heaps of power and pretty easy to tune

Just my opinion anyway
Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default BOSS Vs Alpha

Both engines have their ups & downs.
The BOSS is also similiar to the GRP Tuned series and the NinjaMR series. They have higher RPM's and are bulletproof mills! Parts are getting harder to come by though!
The Alpha series are rather new in the market but seems to have quite a following. Can find any faults in the motor except for the soft heatsinks that come with it. Seen many heatsinks crushed from hard roll-overs!
Best to start off with firstly your budget in mind i would think.
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I'm not familiar with the Boss, but I run the Alpha S852. I'm very pleased with it so far... machining quality exceeds any engine I've owned.

The green head Z852 is a bit more peaky than the orange head S852... the power curve might be a bit of a handful for a less experienced driver. I would recommend the less expensive red head F850 for buggy, and the orange head S852 for truggy for most folks.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

+1 on the Alpha Plus.

F850 or S852 for buggy

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM

Last edited by houston; 03-29-2010 at 12:56 PM.
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Tech Master

thx guys, im leaning towards the f850...since i own a 7 port GO motor and the low bottom and sudden power from mid to high seems a bit excessive for a novice and the loose conditions at my local track. also, the alphas are quite new, while the Boss' are old stock/previous gen according to the LHS....so parts etc might be a problem according to them as well.

thx for the input and bump in the right direction
Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Tech Regular

If you can get a good deal on the Boss engine you should definetly try it out!
Alpha's will last if they have good quality, GRP Boss engines are rare and allmoust priceless.

I ran a GRP Ninja MR B01A and loved every minute with it, exept the last few when I ran it without air-filter.

When the Boss is toast, well it might be hard to get parts, but for the same price as a new setup you can rather go for a brand new Alpha.

Better to have loved and lost rather than never loved at all...... or something
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My vote goes for Boss as well. I have three GRP engines and they all run great, and tune easy. Great runtime as well.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default Boss

Same here,
I've run the whole GRP,Ninja and Boss series before and they are real sweet mills.
The Boss has the exact same ports as the Ninja MR21 B01A and their heatsink are tough! Never had any issues with tuning and parts till they started getting rare.
Are you being offered the Boss with the header and pipe as a package? They had this package offered some time back and it was a great deal.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Does the 'Rally' part of the name on the Boss refers to it being produced for the rally class they run in europe? I remember getting some info on the rally class mill GRP previously produced from one of the Gandini boys who said it would not be suitable for 1/8 buggy racing. Not sure if the same applies to the Boss mill.

Mike.
TRArena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Default Boss

Yeah, if you're gonna be running buggy you'd be looking for the BOSS 21OFF version which runs 43,000rpm instead of the BOSS 21 Rally which is similar to the On-road version that runs at 48,000rpm. Avoid the Rally version as i'll be lacking bottom end needed for buggies.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Yeah, if you're gonna be running buggy you'd be looking for the BOSS 21OFF version which runs 43,000rpm instead of the BOSS 21 Rally which is similar to the On-road version that runs at 48,000rpm. Avoid the Rally version as i'll be lacking bottom end needed for buggies.
Some pictures would be GREAT........as we dont know which models are you guys talking about...........i think if the latest from BOSS...will be the 21B -MR tuned.......im looking at that as well.........looks pretty the same like the B01A Ninja from their outlook................And i think with an engine that MR touches...........u wont go wrong ........a good engine indeed
Radical Freaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #14
Tech Adept

I run an S852 alpha in my truggy and the engine is just brilliant.

A friend runs a F850 in a buggy and it out performs pretty much every engine that cost twice as much. Gets around 14 minutes to a tank too!!!

So alpha gets my vote.
Flipfly is offline   Reply With Quote