R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to tq_racing Send a message via Skype™ to tq_racing
Default Which fuel to use???

I just picked up a Novarossi N21RLimited .21 Rear Exhaust 3 Port Slide Carb. SG Crank Standard Plug and it still needs to be broken in alittle the guy said. But I am pretty new to all of this so i need some help with what fuel i should use to break it in and after the break in what fuel i should use to run it in my losi 8ight 1.0 . I well be racing it if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advanced for the help!!
tq_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i run byrons and i like it but the reason i went with it was because its what my local hobby shop carries, so just go to your local hobby shop and get whatever they have. also its not good on the engine to change to different brands alot and its not good to switch to percent of nitro also.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I've always used the same fuel to break in my motors as I plan on racing with. Byrons 30/11. Some ppl use a fuel w/ 16% oil for break-in.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i run byrons and i like it but the reason i went with it was because its what my local hobby shop carries, so just go to your local hobby shop and get whatever they have. also its not good on the engine to change to different brands alot and its not good to switch to percent of nitro also.
That's actually not correct. It's perfectly fine to switch brands and percentages. You will have to re-tune in either case, but it's not doing the engine any harm switching fuels.

I run Odonnell fuel, but do agree that you should run what you can get easily as long as it is a reputable fuel brand. Odonnell, Byrons, Werks, Trinity, Nitrotane, Cold Fusion, Sidewinder, etc...
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I agree with JAMMINKRAZY, I didn't want to be the first to say what he said. You control the engine and the mixture of air/fuel, the engine doesn't have a brain or ecu. It might not be good for someone new to nitro to change fuels, but if you are a experienced tuner you change fuels as often as you like without a problem.
aaron joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would recommend Byron's, O'Donnell, Sidewinder. I have tried all of these and they work great. Fuels I haven't tried and you may still want to look into is Werks, Cold Fusion, EB Mods, Nitrotane (These are the fuels I can think of at the time, I am sure I missed some good ones.) If you stick with fuels in the mainstream you should be fine.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

try if you can to stay away from RTR fuel. Traxxas, blue thunder etc. I run oddonnel and love it over any other brand, but byrons is just as good of a choice. I ran it for a long time, Good stuff and cheaper too!

unfortunately some hobby shops only have rtr fuel, so find one in your area that specializes in racing or nitro/cars etc.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to tq_racing Send a message via Skype™ to tq_racing

great thank you everyone. i well look into what my hobby shop has i know they have a few different brands to choose from just wasnt sure if i needed to have a different one for the break in becuase when i got my rc10gt about 4 years ago i didnt use different fuel and it has lasted 4 years and its still strong i just sold it to my girlfriends brother.

so once again thanks to all
tq_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Blue Thunder is not bad, I used it in on road in Cali and know a few Team Drivers that use it in 8ff offroad.....
geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We have been running Maxy's for about a year and a half and it seems to run a little cooler than some, and it is also easy to get a good tune on. Just our preference.
chrisbrown is offline   Reply With Quote