R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Tech Adept

I wish I could post a video.. Basically if I adjust the LSN for a really nice idle, then between about 1/3 and 1/2 throttle it loads up. If I lean the LSN to stop the loading up, then the idle is lean but it doesn't load up. It seems there's no perfect solution.

With the rich LSN, while I'm driving 1/2 throttle it drives fine, though it sounds a little girgly. The real problem is when I go from 1/2 to full open, it's loaded up so the acceleration is really slow and it looks like a smoke bomb until it cleans out. If I lean the LSN to stop it from loading up at 1/2 throttle then the idle is lean. I think I've got the HSN in the right spot. I'm 1/4 leaner than the factory base setting, and no matter where the LSN is, if I drive only idle or full throttle then it's a rocket.
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
Tech Adept

are you sure your idle is not set too small, compensating with a fat bottom?
Spektrum
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One more thing, how good is your fuel? Nice and fresh and a good brand? Please don't say your running traxxas fuel.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 AM   #19
Tech Adept

To answer Corey's question; even if I fill it when it's hot, the first minute or so is very rich. Not a big deal now though, once I get through about 10% of the tank it runs pretty much how I set it.

The air gap is not too small. If I set it any larger, then even with the factory base line setting it will rev up enough to engage the clutch. Even the factory baseline setting for LSN runs very lean at idle.

The fuel is Traxxas 20%. Are you suspecting that to be a problem?

For anyone who has tuned a 2-stroke motorcycle before; if this were a motorcycle, then the ideal solution would be to richen the pilot jet and then lower the slide needle a few notches (raise the clip) to lean the mid-throttle range and that would be a perfect solution. Unfortunately this carb has only the needle and no separate pilot jet. As is everything is great except for the lean idle, so I'm basically happy.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
The fuel is Traxxas 20%. Are you suspecting that to be a problem?
Ouch, fuel sucks, try Bryons or something else.
c9311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9311 View Post
Ouch, fuel sucks, try Bryons or something else.
+100000000000000000000000000
Old 03-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #22
Tech Adept

What in particular do you guys not like about Traxxas? I'm asking because I really don't know, I'm new to nitro.

It's the most convenient for me to buy which is why I choose it (the local store carries it). I get easy starts and plenty of power, the lean idle is my only existing gripe.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Matt Fuel could be a problem. Byrons, Sidewinder ,Odonnells, Werks. These are all top shelf fuels, and all fuels that I have run personally. The other thing I would suggest is go to a 30% fuel. And I still say you need to keep tuning. Last race my buddys B5 was doing the exact same thing. It was starving for fuel in the mid just like yours. In his case leaned the bottom a little and fattened the top and in 5 mins it ran perfect. Usally the factory sttings on the hsn are way lean to begin with. I still say fatten the top up a couple of hours and see what happens.
hdcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Tech Adept

I think we've got a little misunderstanding; when I tune the LSN for perfect idle (rich setting), my mid is extremely fat. It loads up really bad at 1/2 throttle. If I tune the LSN for perfect mid, my idle is lean. Both my LSN and HSN are leaner than factory. If I go a couple hours richer on the HSN then it won't rev out at all, just smokes up my back yard. I've got the HSN at basically the richest setting that I still get really good performance, which is about 2.25 turns.

In regards to fuel; my engine book says 20% is recommended, is there any danger in going to 30%? I'm on a low-budget so I don't need any broken cranks or rods. Power wise I'm doing OK since the engine is a .18 in a 1/10 buggy. I will try some Byrons fuel if I can get my hands on some though; it seems to be highly recommended by several people.