Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Nitro engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have had great results with pretty much every engine I have run... working on these engines I do see that the Italian engines are definitely built with stronger materials... Go mill on a Taiwanese crankshaft then go to do the same to a Picco crankshaft....the hardness difference is huge, the Picco built crankshaft just beats the hell out of the tooling... the Taiwanese cranks cut like butter.......... Try to raise port timing on a Taiwanese engine then go to the do the same procedure to a Novarossi...The thickness and jardness of the sleeve chrome is much better on the Novarossi...its alot of work to cleanly alter the port timing of a Nova, the chrome is ultra thick and extremely hard to cut.....With that being said I must say the Taiwanese machining as well as fit and finish is actually quite good, and in some cases better then some of the Italian mills..... Also lately the Taiwanese Engines have been performing very well, no they don't have the material quality of the Italian engines, but their fit and finish as well as running characteristics is quite good.....You can get alot of performance for the dollar with the Taiwanese engines, some of the $200.00 mills such as the Alpha's are extremely potent and right on par with the Italian engines....

Myself my personal favorites are the Picco P7 EVO 3 or the Jammin JPX 21..... I have tried all sorts of different .21's over the years, but I have yet to find anything can match the raw performance of the Picco's..Sure there are smoother and more fuel efficient engines out there, but nothing has the power on tap like the Picco's do.... Tho they are not as refined as the Nova's or Sirio's they are still built with Italian metals and are quite durable and long lasting.....If you like big engines with excessive power then the Picco's are unbeatable as far as I am concerned.....

With that being said there are many great engine choices out there, you really can't go wrong with any of them.....
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great points

You guys make great points on engines. It's nice to see new racers getting so much help in deciding on an engine. Good Job.....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pfunk66
Thanks again for the input guys. I decided on the werks b5. Next time I'll give the novarossi engines a try.

You're going to be very happy with the Werks. The quality is great, and at the $200 price point it is one of the 2 that I'd get.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Werks
Lol, it's all good but if you know Mike then you know how the guy maintains his stuff and to say that he's hard on his equipment would be an understatement lol!
Yeah... like saying the Burj Khalifa in Dubai is kind of a tall building.

I guess the point that I'm making is for the new guys that are getting into the sport right now is in my oppinion the best time ever as far as bank for your buck when it comes to engine! There are more choices at reasonable price points than there has ever been. So... personaly if it was me I would stick to products coming from the more established factories rather than take a gamble on the flavor of the month type engines. This is not to say that there are not quality products being made by others but again when you can get so much bang for your buck today, why gamble??? The products/brands that come to mind is anything coming out of the Novarossi or Star Motor factory in Italy, anything from OS out of Asia and anything done by the likes of an established brand like RB. It's pretty safe to say that anyone that deals with these guys or has these people make engines for them are reputable and are offering a solid, tested, quality product. These are also usualy the types of companies that will be around to support the buyers of their products 1,2 or even 5 years later. They are nor the types of companies that are going to drop a line when things go bad or there is no longer a quick buck to be made. It's real easy to find something to import and sell, it's real hard to make a long term commitment to support and to continue to represent a product and frankly if your own companies name is not on something what vested interest do you have to do so? Just something extra for people to consider when trying to decide on what motor is right for you. There has been a lot of turnover in brands over the last few years, when that happens it is usualy not good for the people that own those products.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Initiate

The thing that worries me about that werks engine is that it sounds to be one of thoes too good to be true things, I've been reading on the other thread and havent heard much bad about it, hopefully when i get mine on friday i'll find out first hand. A few people were mentioning the .21bf, i had raced with it this weekend, yes its super easy to tune, holds the tune really well and runs great, but its rather low on power, I have a novarossi p5x modded in my truggy and it cleared any jumps easily, but on the bf in my buggy i struggled to make even the smallest jumps, had to have atleast quite a few feet of room to build up speed, and this was even with a 13t bell for a truggy.

Lol i wish i could have gotten this much help deciding on an engine instead of a bunch of people complaining how eachother's engines were poopoo
Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

N21BF in a truggy would be "small", but I haven't experienced any troubles clearing any jumps, the only thing I find missing is some top end.

P5 is a complete engine, I've experienced more insane mills - but for 100+ more.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLuke2
The thing that worries me about that werks engine is that it sounds to be one of thoes too good to be true things, I've been reading on the other thread and havent heard much bad about it, hopefully when i get mine on friday i'll find out first hand. A few people were mentioning the .21bf, i had raced with it this weekend, yes its super easy to tune, holds the tune really well and runs great, but its rather low on power, I have a novarossi p5x modded in my truggy and it cleared any jumps easily, but on the bf in my buggy i struggled to make even the smallest jumps, had to have atleast quite a few feet of room to build up speed, and this was even with a 13t bell for a truggy.

Lol i wish i could have gotten this much help deciding on an engine instead of a bunch of people complaining how eachother's engines were poopoo
This help wasn't all that easy to get... I didn't like having to be as pushy as I was to get it, but I definitely got what I was looking for. Hopefully others will get as much out of this as I did.