R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default tuning woes...

first off i searched and found some informative stuff but still cannot get this guy to stay running.

i have an xtm xterminator with a .21 engine

if i hold my thumb over the exhaust for a few pulls of the starter its fire up and run for a min then if i give it a lil throttle itll die.

having to hold my thumb over the exhaust leads me to beleive its running lean but white smoke and a little unburned fuel is pouring out of the exhaust.

i set both needles back to factory settings and no dice.

i cant get the high side dialed in like all the tuning threads ive read say to do cuz when i try to take off, even feathering the throttle, she dies abruptly.

any input?
lksdG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Does it bog down when you take off befor it dies?
Spektrum
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

it's loading up with fuel. Lean the low speed needle a little at the time until it takes off without hesitating

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

So, I have had similiar problems. The first thing I did was check the glow plug. I changed mine out in and it worked great. Something else I learned was not to flood the engine. I was running in to this problem a lot and it was my fault for priming to much. The other thing that I did with a different engine that was giving me a hard time was to check to make sure the idle needle is set right. On my Force .25 it is set with about a 1/8" gap, maybe a little less. It idles really good now. Hope this helps. I am still in the learning phase, but I know your pain.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

check idle gap and the low end sounds rich. holding the thumb on the stinger forces fuel into the engine, you should only have to do this if your engine hasnt been ran in a couple hours or longer.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshbetz11 View Post
Does it bog down when you take off befor it dies?
yes it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
it's loading up with fuel. Lean the low speed needle a little at the time until it takes off without hesitating
cool, will try that tomorrow after work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie219 View Post
So, I have had similiar problems. The first thing I did was check the glow plug. I changed mine out in and it worked great. Something else I learned was not to flood the engine. I was running in to this problem a lot and it was my fault for priming to much. The other thing that I did with a different engine that was giving me a hard time was to check to make sure the idle needle is set right. On my Force .25 it is set with about a 1/8" gap, maybe a little less. It idles really good now. Hope this helps. I am still in the learning phase, but I know your pain.
i will check the plug, the tank doesnt have a primer on it so i was plugging the exhaust to force fuel through the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
check idle gap and the low end sounds rich. holding the thumb on the stinger forces fuel into the engine, you should only have to do this if your engine hasnt been ran in a couple hours or longer.
cool thank you sir, but what is the stinger? if thats the exhaust tip i was doing it cuz it was the only thing that could get it to start
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdG2 View Post
cool thank you sir, but what is the stinger? if thats the exhaust tip i was doing it cuz it was the only thing that could get it to start
yes, the stinger in the end of the exhaust that youve been plugging. lean the bottom end out. its to rich, you will have to lower idle when leaning the bottom

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
yes, the stinger in the end of the exhaust that youve been plugging. lean the bottom end out. its to rich, you will have to lower idle when leaning the bottom
ok, that explains why it wouldnt start unless i did
Old 03-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

got her running, turns out the main needle wasnt open enough.

we figured it out cuz it would start when primed but only run till the fuel that was dropped into the opening had burned off. just deduced from there.

thanks for the help though everyone!