It was the biggest motor in it's time....now what?

• Yes I'll admit I'm a crazy guy. I decided to throw an HPI K5.9 into my Losi 8T when they were brand new. I love the torque but I'm looking for more speed now. The stock gears I think are 16/47. I have gears now for a 15-18 pinion and 47, 48 spur. What setup would you guys recommend? The track is a 50-50 split of straights and corners so the truggy would need good speed as well as good punch.

It was the biggest motor in it's time....now what?-100_6809.jpg   It was the biggest motor in it's time....now what?-100_6815.jpg  

• Quote: Yes I'll admit I'm a crazy guy. I decided to throw an HPI K5.9 into my Losi 8T when they were brand new. I love the torque but I'm looking for more speed now. The stock gears I think are 16/47. I have gears now for a 15-18 pinion and 47, 48 spur. What setup would you guys recommend? The track is a 50-50 split of straights and corners so the truggy would need good speed as well as good punch.
    Stock gears for an 8T were 13/48. If you are keeping that big monster of an engine in there then Keep the spur 48 and try 15 or 16. I am use to running race .21's and they are strong but not that strong. You must have to pit at 5 min intervals to keep that thirsty engine running.
  • Quote:
    but not that strong.
    Naw...got a few of those 5.9's layin' around.

They're nowhere near a race .21....
  • Quote: Naw...got a few of those 5.9's layin' around.

They're nowhere near a race .21....
    Agreed, Race .21's are far better. Doesn't have the RPM's and seems to have less HP (1.79) but it does have good tourque. It also only has 3 ports instead of the 5 to 8 ports.
  • Quote: You must have to pit at 5 min intervals to keep that thirsty engine running.
    I'll have to check on that one for ya.