R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default 8ight front center diff cup getting very hot

I have a Tekno 8ight-e. The buggy is very dialed, but I have noticed that the front center diff outdrive gets super hot. I haven't fealt around the other cups, the spur is luke warm. The diff works great, but I don't want to have a failure because the diff casing melts. Is this normal, from I guess friction w/ the cvd, or is there something I need to change. It has fresh 5k fluid in the diff.

Last edited by party_wagon; 03-24-2010 at 03:30 PM.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Check bearings and front brake disk(Tekno uses mechanical brakes right?).
Old 03-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
I have a Tekno 8ight-e. The buggy is very dialed, but I have noticed that the front center diff outdrive gets super hot. I haven't fealt around the other cups, the spur is luke warm. The diff works great, but I don't want to have a failure because the diff casing melts. Is this normal, from I guess friction w/ the cvd, or is there something I need to change. It has fresh 5k fluid in the diff.

E-buggy's spool the front tires quite a bit and working that front bone pretty good....i would think unless its Super hot to the touch its nothing to be concerned about.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

check your outdrives very carefully it maybe bent.. my moneys on it
SKY RC
Exotek
endler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The rest of the diff is luke warm. The front cup is very hot to the touch & this is coming from a guy that has done a good bit of labor w/ hot things. The cvd & outdrive are in brand new condition, but there is some play in that bearing that allows the outdrive to move around a little. The bearing spins very freely, but if this slop is causing the issue I will replace it. Are there any other problem areas that I should watch out for? The car has King Headz hinge pin braces & the alum rear bearing guides. The rest of the drive train is pretty much stock.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i temp gun my clutch's, looks like i will start doing the outdrives too.

wont' hurt to change the bearings.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
i temp gun my clutch's, looks like i will start doing the outdrives too.

wont' hurt to change the bearings.

curious on your temps ? ive seen a Fioroni Turbo Slider hit 300+
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
curious on your temps ? ive seen a Fioroni Turbo Slider hit 300+
ive touched my clutch bell before when i was running avid clutch bearings, sometimes they would blow before my race during practice even when they were new. and i burned my finger immediately upon contact

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Avid's are just fine and dandy if you ask me....something in your set-up must have been causing the high temp's and bearing failure.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Avid's are just fine and dandy if you ask me....something in your set-up must have been causing the high temp's and bearing failure.
i use avid for wheel bearings, there great. but for clutch they were hit and miss and im not the only one at the pit who thinks that. i recently when to tko ceramic bearings for the clutch(i know nick, u hate them) and i love them. just dont spray them out with electric cleaner. they fail very fast

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i use avid for wheel bearings, there great. but for clutch they were hit and miss and im not the only one at the pit who thinks that. i recently when to tko ceramic bearings for the clutch(i know nick, u hate them) and i love them. just dont spray them out with electric cleaner. they fail very fast
I never said i hate the TKO's...i run them quite frequently on my losi clutch set-up....I just feel that the Avids are up to the task if everything is set-up properly.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Inhabe been using the tko $1 bearings and they seem to hold up better than the avid revolutions. They are a double rubber low contact bearing. The diffs are still very smooth after a gallon. I think I'm using tko all around now except the clutch I trust losi HD bearings in the clutch they don't let me down.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i've been using avid bearings all over my losi 8 b and t and i change the clutch one about every 1 -1.5 gallons and once o year in the rest of the car
overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Center diff in electric cars get hotter due to diffing action with higher power. I'd think about going higher in diff oil to control unloading of power to the front wheels.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Tech Lord

I felt mine become real tail happy when i tried to go up in the center...tried 7 and it was wheelie city when you nailed it Vs normally being able to deal with the front end being light but not wanting to pull the front wheels physically off the ground.