R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Airports and Nitro equipment

anyone with any advice for minimizing problems with air travel (national or international) to races ? no fuel obviously, but any other hints to help with a smooth journey through airport security and arriving with all the kit you set off with ? (preventing items being removed for being suspicious or a potential hazard)

maybe it is easier than i think ? maybe not...

thank you in advance.
england is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

ship your tools and the kit via ups or another carrier and fly solo.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Wouldn't that be expensive? 0.o
If its a small car try get it into hand luggage (kidding).
At the airport isn't there like a sticker they have, if someone checks it out can't they sticker it as special load or something? :S
Never tried it but it might be worth asking the airline before you book tickets.
c9311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With my dad living in switzerland, and us racing here in the UK we often transport our kit by air. It is fairly simple.
Car in carry on - we use dialedrc bags since its truggy nd buggy
Radio - pistol is nono, mine was rejected and needed to be put in hold. Security said it was simply because it looked like a gun. So a stick radio might be fine but never know.
Tools in hold, no question
Fuel, obviously not

It is not that hard really, car in hand luggage, fine with engine and fuel tank, just empty it. Then everything else in hold.
DialedRC bags are extremely useful

Hope this helps
Scott

PS i reckon our security is a little more relaxed than your's in the USA
lazyboy12300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Nope, they're just as anal on Heathrow - Tampa and Washington went really smooth (exept for the general chaos at Dulles).
Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy12300 View Post
With my dad living in switzerland, and us racing here in the UK we often transport our kit by air. It is fairly simple.
Car in carry on - we use dialedrc bags since its truggy nd buggy
Radio - pistol is nono, mine was rejected and needed to be put in hold. Security said it was simply because it looked like a gun. So a stick radio might be fine but never know.
Tools in hold, no question
Fuel, obviously not

It is not that hard really, car in hand luggage, fine with engine and fuel tank, just empty it. Then everything else in hold.
DialedRC bags are extremely useful

Hope this helps
Scott

PS i reckon our security is a little more relaxed than your's in the USA

US security would go crazy I bet! I've always driven to the races because its way cheaper to do with the family and friends. No one to question what is this and why are you going and blah...

But if I were to fly I'd just ship all the stuff separately to destination. Maybe I'll pay a few more bucks but it will be worth avoiding all the hassle. Besides airlines are getting pretty strict on how much baggage you check in.
TopGearRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Flying with gear is NO problem at all....there's many of rules and regulations that need to be followed but spend an afternoon reading the rules your specific Carrier has in place(there all the same anyways) then decide how your going to pack your gear.

I personally had my radio(3pk PISTOL lol) in my carry on bag as its too fragile to be bounced around in the checked baggage compartments Along with my radio i had all my Lipo's as that is part of a new rule the TSA has in place....they want ALL batteries of ALL sort to be in your carry on....NO Batteries in Checked Period.

So for everything else...Cars, Tools, Parts, Tires, Pit Mat, Fuel bottle/Gun Engines, Pipes ect ect went in my checked Plano 1819XXL cases which are According to Plano "Airline Approved" but if you actually calculate it up its a wee over the limits....but according to Every one else who i have talked to who fly's with these they have never had a problem. I Can also vouch for this now after my trip to Arizona for the Nitro Challenge.

Anything i left out...feel free to ask.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Just a few weeks ago I went out to Las Vegas for the Silver State race. The week before I left, I shipped 2 of these black boxes to a friend out there. From Chicago to Las Vegas it was $76 for both boxes weighing at 65-67 lbs each. I just through a lock on it and a shipping strap and everything was good. One of the guys coming from Colorado that was in our pit got his buggy held by TSA and his stuff was checked in not carried on. Lucky one of us had an extra back up buggy for him. So shipping is the best way. You can even through fuel in the case as long as its going ground.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...uctId=10004100

On the way to the race I carried my car on the plane with me. It was completely rebuilt with a new body, fuel tank and lines. They swabbed it and it passed. On the way back I took my M11 (in the case) on the plane and had the car in the black case to be shipped back. TSA didn't give me any grief about the M11, they turned it on and check it out. As long as your car is new or completely clean you shouldn't have a problem, but the minute fuel hits it there machines will pick it up.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket View Post
Just a few weeks ago I went out to Las Vegas for the Silver State race. The week before I left, I shipped 2 of these black boxes to a friend out there. From Chicago to Las Vegas it was $76 for both boxes weighing at 65-67 lbs each. I just through a lock on it and a shipping strap and everything was good. One of the guys coming from Colorado that was in our pit got his buggy held by TSA and his stuff was checked in not carried on. Lucky one of us had an extra back up buggy for him. So shipping is the best way. You can even through fuel in the case as long as its going ground.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...uctId=10004100

On the way to the race I carried my car on the plane with me. It was completely rebuilt with a new body, fuel tank and lines. They swabbed it and it passed. On the way back I took my M11 (in the case) on the plane and had the car in the black case to be shipped back. TSA didn't give me any grief about the M11, they turned it on and check it out. As long as your car is new or completely clean you shouldn't have a problem, but the minute fuel hits it there machines will pick it up.

I heard about Adrian. Flippin TSA....No Real reason even given either as far as i know. Dirty mofo's.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I heard about Adrian. Flippin TSA....No Real reason even given either as far as i know. Dirty mofo's.
He never cleaned his car really well, so when they swabbed it, it didn't pass. He did great using a rental from Brain Branson! Awesome guys to pit with too, very helpful, I cant thank them enough!! I cant wait until next year too!!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

many plane trips with southwest with no problems whatsoever!!

two 50lb or under boxes for free

no fuel residue!! very very very important !!!

no aerosols , shock oils no problems in smaller bottles , lipo receiver packs and starter box batts no problem. make sure your cars are clean

contico boxes with zip ties
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket View Post
He never cleaned his car really well, so when they swabbed it, it didn't pass. He did great using a rental from Brain Branson! Awesome guys to pit with too, very helpful, I cant thank them enough!! I cant wait until next year too!!
did he get his car back?

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

carrying it on, ultra clean no nitro smell or residue of oil, wrap the car in saran wrap. also pack some rc car magazines so you can show the idiot, oh im sorry TSA security official, that it is really a toy car remove batteries from radio and dc them from the car, dont want the radio to be able to be turned on and dont want the servos humming mid flight.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
many plane trips with southwest with no problems whatsoever!!

two 50lb or under boxes for free

no fuel residue!! very very very important !!!

no aerosols , shock oils no problems in smaller bottles , lipo receiver packs and starter box batts no problem. make sure your cars are clean

contico boxes with zip ties

2 for FREE ? How you score that ?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

thanks for all the advice so far.

i have left things a little late, so shipping equipment ahead of time is not an option.

for now i will keep monitoring the thread and will implement the best bits of advice + the luggage i have available. i will look into specific flight cases for future trips i think.

really appreciate the contributions so far !
england is offline   Reply With Quote