Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please, stuck in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help please, stuck in gear?

Hi there, i am trying to start my smartech buggy nitro. And when i pull the rope, the wheels are spinning, why? How do I get it in neutral so the wheels are not spinning when I am trying to start it. This happened to me once before, and I just wheeled the car backwards and it fixed it. But not this time
please help
thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It sounds like your clutch is in need of some maintance .
Old 03-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Tech Rookie

this car is brand new, only run a couple times for very short periods.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Can you elaborate? Is that the only thing it can be? Do you know what parts to replace? I am very new to this, and want to have the car running for when the snow is gone.
thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there anyway to manually put it in nuetral for the time beiing?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

You're clutch bearings are locked so when you are pulling the rope the clutch bell is turning with the crank and turning the wheels it's a cheap fix just a few bucks for new bearings
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for your help, do you know if the bearing, is called the rolling bearing? How many of these bearings is there suppose to be, only two right?
I am on rcworlds website, and if you go to smartech parts for the speedy tiger. It shows a picture of the two bearings I think i need but doesnt say what they are only shows the picture, looks exactly what i think i need.

Then below that is another part: a picture of 6 bearings, that look nothing like i think i need, but have the measurement of the bearing I am looking for 10x5x4. So i am confused, the picture looks more like a washer, plus why do they have 6?

Last edited by dynocompe; 03-24-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Before you go and order bearings, we need to see if that is in fact the issue. Do you know how to remove the motor?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did you get a manual with it ?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I work in a hobby shop and have seen 6 of these buggy's all with the same issue, barely ran and wont start but the tires want to spin when pulling the starter cord. What i have found on every one of those vehicles was that the clutch was siezed to the clutchbell so dont be surprized if the clutch comes off when you pull the bell off the motor.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry for the late reply, I had no internet, got it fixed today~
I do have a manual for it, its not the best though. I talked to the guy at RC world and he thinks the clutch is seized to the clutch bell too.
Maybe i will just list this up on ebay broken and buy a real RC. I just bought this to see how I would like it. I do love it. My car did run good though, i never had any troubles getting it started or keeping it running, was tuned pretty good.

Maybe I will fix it, I have never really took apart these before, but how hard can it be? lol I have done lots of work on quads and vehicles, all by the book though.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dynocompe
Sorry for the late reply, I had no internet, got it fixed today~
I do have a manual for it, its not the best though. I talked to the guy at RC world and he thinks the clutch is seized to the clutch bell too.
Maybe i will just list this up on ebay broken and buy a real RC. I just bought this to see how I would like it. I do love it. My car did run good though, i never had any troubles getting it started or keeping it running, was tuned pretty good.

Maybe I will fix it, I have never really took apart these before, but how hard can it be? lol I have done lots of work on quads and vehicles, all by the book though.
if this is your first RC I'd recommend learning to work on that one and then get a new one. I had to learn the ropes on a Duratrax Raze. I messed up my first one pretty bad but I learned how to take care of one and work on them and then I got a nicer car. It wasn't as big a loss to mess up the Raze.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

These types of clutches are centrifical(sp) so unless it's started up and under throttle, it's always in "neutral". Fot the clutch shoes to seize to the bell would require massive heat or slippage to cause the heat. I would highly recommend getting a stable brand of 1/8 buggy. Most of these type of headaches have been worked out with a quality manufactorer. If you are going to stick with your brand, pull the clutchbell, flush and lube the bearings, pull the shoes and see if they stretched where they go on the poles. Sand the inside of the clutchbell and clean well. Get new shoes and springs.Was your buggy smooth in the power delivery or come on strong?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just fix it. Any vehicle you get is going to require you to work on it.
Why would you sell as broken when you can spend a little money and a little time and sale it as RTR
Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hows your clutch/spur gear mesh?.. a real loose mesh will act like gears jamming. had that experiance this past week..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.