R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #346
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

I kept thinking I've seen the JC Punisher body design somewhere else before and it hit me...............

Attached Thumbnails
ROAR new body rules-stealth.jpeg   ROAR new body rules-stealth1.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #347
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsing View Post
Here's where ROAR enforcing a body rule can come into play IMO....... this is a quote from RedRC from the current Worlds race in Thailand - "Fourth fastest was 2008 finalist Travis Amezcua. The American team Mugen driver said the biggest change he made from P1 was a switch from Prolines Bulldog to the Shift bodyshell which made the car easier and more consistent to drive"

Whats to stop racers from bringing two or three different body shells to a race now to swap bodies and pick what works best for them? Its bad enough at big races (heck, its bad enough at club races even!)with all the tire choices out there, now you have a few body choices to "tune" with at a $100 a pop including paint or a wrap? Not everyone can afford that and that's NOT good for the hobby.

Without some sort of regulation as to what can be run mfg's can run amuck and make whatever they want...even if it is the best handling thing out there (which in this case it wasnt for Travis) it doesnt mean its the best for the hobby either.......

Everyone is complaining about what ROAR does, but how many of you are current ROAR members, and if you are did you vote this year for the President or Regional Directors? IMO, if you didnt vote, you cant complain........simple as that. Only 300 out of 3600 members voted this year (which is actually UP from last year) Things cant change for the better with out participation. ROAR does alot more for the hobby than a lot of you guys think. But thats for another thread.

I really am not a huge fan of SOME of the new bodies personally but it is what is. Did ROAR maybe over react a little by their banning of the bodies? Maybe. But its not because they just want to "rule" the racers just for the hell of it. I'm pretty sure they werent sitting around a table and said "hey, lets screw with Proline and tell them they cant run this body" just because it would be fun to. If Proline or JC or anyone for that matter wants to "go out of the box" they could of easily said "hey what do you think of these bodies we've been testing? They work good and we think the public might like them but we're not sure if they fit the rules or not".

And just remember, even ROAR affiliated tracks dont have to follow ROAR rules by the book which means you can most likely run your "jet fighter" inspired body if you want to still..... so really, what's the big deal to running the "legal" body a couple times a year (assuming you have Regionals and attend a National)?

This is all just my opinion....I'm hoping for good change from ROAR which is why I renewed my membership just so I could vote
I didn't know I could vote on that as a roar member OR that they did voting. Guess I learn something every day. As for $100 a body each that is a little excessive. Granted I have a nice body for every car I own I also have just a practice body as well that I rattle can something on just to drive or tune with. At the end of the day however I doubt you will hear someone say "its that new body that did it for me"
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #348
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I used to havge 2-3 different bodies for my RC10 and while I could notice a difference in handling I never used them for a meaningful tuning option. J concepts is showing a tunable wing now too.

A body shell with a one-color paint job is cheaper than a set of wheels and tires.

Why haven't any of the body makers taken advantage of a true scale feature in Baja racing and designed a body with a side by side two seater cab? That'd make for a very large front window (the downforce producing element). All of these new bodies are so ugly that they might as well as take it all the way.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #349
Tech Master

I was just using the $100 dollars more for generalization since alot of guys spend 30-40 for a body and anywhere from 30-60 for paint/wrap and then shipping if they have a painter that they have to ship their body to.....(and that someone in this thread earlier said they spend a $100 for theirs)

As far as voting, as a ROAR member you dont necessarily get to vote on whether a not a body or tires or motors are legal....but you get to vote for the people that get to help make that kind of stuff happen. As a member you can always voice your opinion to your Regional Director in your area and if he's good he'll hopefully communicate the concerns of his Region and try to get things done that will help the Racers in the long run.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #350
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdcameolsx View Post
I didn't know I could vote on that as a roar member OR that they did voting. Guess I learn something every day. As for $100 a body each that is a little excessive. Granted I have a nice body for every car I own I also have just a practice body as well that I rattle can something on just to drive or tune with. At the end of the day however I doubt you will hear someone say "its that new body that did it for me"

And I agree, for most of us the body is the last thing that will "do it for us"
Old 04-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #351
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Are the Bulldogs banned for 2011? I've been searching around and can't find the info. If so I need a new shell for June. Which sucks because I have a funding limit for that race and that takes two sets for rubbers out of the equation.

www.IERCRaceway.com - www.Facebook.com/IERCRaceway
So*Cal AFDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #352
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse Robbers

ROAR was making an effort working with the manufacturers to make the body rules more definitive but I haven't seen anything come of it as of yet. The cab forward aftermarket bodies technically are still 'illegal', however the latest that I have heard is that it has gotten a bit out of hand with all of the aftermarket bodies and to enforce this rule now might be futile. So this subject is still up in the air without further clarification from ROAR. Kind of use at your own risk type of deal but have a body that isn't cab forward at the ready just in case if possible. IFMAR allowed these bodies, the ROAR Nationals is on race a year, ROAR Regional races are subject to the director's level of enforcement for how many of the rules they check. Some races they just check weight, width, and fuel tank capacity while other races the tech people choose to enforce more rules.
Sponsored by: O.S. Speed, KO Propo, Sidewinder, Tekin, Thunder Power, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Fioroni, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, Competition Heat, Dialed Inc., LiveRC.com, DE Racing, CIG2O, ANDROID Nitro Runtime Calculator App
Jesse Robbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #353
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Robbers View Post
ROAR was making an effort working with the manufacturers to make the body rules more definitive but I haven't seen anything come of it as of yet. The cab forward aftermarket bodies technically are still 'illegal', however the latest that I have heard is that it has gotten a bit out of hand with all of the aftermarket bodies and to enforce this rule now might be futile. So this subject is still up in the air without further clarification from ROAR. Kind of use at your own risk type of deal but have a body that isn't cab forward at the ready just in case if possible. IFMAR allowed these bodies, the ROAR Nationals is on race a year, ROAR Regional races are subject to the director's level of enforcement for how many of the rules they check. Some races they just check weight, width, and fuel tank capacity while other races the tech people choose to enforce more rules.
Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll try and run it, and just have one of my old busted "regular style" bodies on hand just in case they won't allow it. Thanks again, hope I can!

www.IERCRaceway.com - www.Facebook.com/IERCRaceway
So*Cal AFDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #354
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by So*Cal AFDude View Post
Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll try and run it, and just have one of my old busted "regular style" bodies on hand just in case they won't allow it. Thanks again, hope I can!
I have word of mouth from a upper up at proline that the cab forward buggy bodies will be allowed at the nats, hope this helps.
4x4 SC10 tekin 4600kv rx8 Sc10 Tekin R5 8.5, B4.1 Tekin R5 8.5 Sikk LidZ(MANGOOOO!)
Team Driver: Team Associated, Proline, Pro-Match, XPS, Morgan Fuels, Tekin Electronics
xxxtcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #355
Tech Master

race cars have been changing in terms of FUNCTIONALITY. Look at the sprint oval cars. That design "works", therefore used, but not anywhere else. Same goes for RC. You can't dumb down evolution to make it work in a non-scale environment. Leave that BS to a "scale class" that ROAR so wants implement. Leave the prime time classes alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #356
Tech Master

heck i say let the racers make there own bodies? get rid of "ROAR" but keep the rules.....
bodies are overpriced as it is? for example a Losi stock body for a 8T-2.0 $46.00 !!!!(with taxes around $49.00)
just stupid over priced???
a guy here in California makes one for $22.00 !!!!(taxes included!) and looks pretty darn close !! so would this mean those bodies are not "Legal"
i mean i have money,but i am not stupid? if i can buy the same thing for $27.00 LESS !! and "American Made"!! where you gonna go??....
same for Buggy bodies? this guy has'em for $15.00 !!!
so would this mean for a "Off-Road Event" these bodies may not be legal...??.....
so here is an example of the D&B Design bodies i now use
have a Nitro and a E-Truggy one (No cut-outs)
and one of my E-Buggy but that same body i have for my Nitro and fits as well and doesnt hit anything...

1BLADE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #357
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLADE1 View Post
heck i say let the racers make there own bodies? get rid of "ROAR" but keep the rules.....
bodies are overpriced as it is? for example a Losi stock body for a 8T-2.0 $46.00 !!!!(with taxes around $49.00)
just stupid over priced???
a guy here in California makes one for $22.00 !!!!(taxes included!) and looks pretty darn close !! so would this mean those bodies are not "Legal"
i mean i have money,but i am not stupid? if i can buy the same thing for $27.00 LESS !! and "American Made"!! where you gonna go??....
same for Buggy bodies? this guy has'em for $15.00 !!!
so would this mean for a "Off-Road Event" these bodies may not be legal...??.....
so here is an example of the D&B Design bodies i now use
have a Nitro and a E-Truggy one (No cut-outs)
and one of my E-Buggy but that same body i have for my Nitro and fits as well and doesnt hit anything...
Where are you shopping? Amain has factory bodies for $34 and Proline for $24.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...osi-8ight-T-20
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #358
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Robbers View Post
Just to clarify for everyone's benefit, nothing has changed yet concerning what body you can or cannot run at the ROAR Nationals. You can run any body that's been allowed in the past, including the cab forward bodies. There is no change to the rules yet. We've chosen to address some other more important issues first, which doesn't leave time to consider this issue at the moment.

Without getting into the discussion about why it's under consideration, it's with the support of IFMAR and most, if not all of the sanctioning bodies that are IFMAR. Some of the bodies are getting way out of hand, and it's not futile to address it. But, everyone save your opinions for when the time comes, because right now, it's not on the table. Just show up to the nats and enjoy it.

As a caveat, I have to say this because I know that an "open door" like this can be too inviting sometimes... There are existing rules that govern the general appearance of bodies that are permitted. While allowing for a VERY liberal interpretation of those rules to allow the current bodies to be legal, it would take a considerable departure from current standards to get anyone's attention. So I just have to say, not everything is automatically legal. If anyone shows up to the Nats with a body that looks like the Lexan was heated and draped over a chassis with little or no semblance to even the cab forward bodies, then it may not be allowed. But, it's a safe bet that just about anything will go at the this race.

So, did I say "anything goes" clearly enough, while still allowing us to intervene if there's just a ridiculous body that shows up?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #359
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I went to my first roar race and bought a 1 day ($15)membership off road nitro and electric race, I brought my old buggy 2.0 body and ran it, there were several bulldawg type bodies and no tech inspections were done at all the whole day
I coulda run mine bulldog but decided to try and comply

http://www.totalrcnetwork.tv
goatbongoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #360
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post

So, did I say "anything goes" clearly enough, while still allowing us to intervene if there's just a ridiculous body that shows up?
Traxxas heard you!! Shown @ the Nurnberg Toyfair 2011: