R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Novarossi plus 4 or p5xl???

im getting a new engine next month but thinking which is better,cheaper and reliable?the plus4 or the p5xl?
jeremiah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I was asking the same question about 2 weeks ago. First is what are you wanting out of your motor and what are you running it in? Monty suggested the P5 for truggy and the +4 for buggy. From what I read, the P5 seems to have quite the punch to it while the +4 is really smooth and linear. +4 is yeilding better run times too. I know several people in my area that run the +4 in buggy and truggy, some are getting up to 12 minutes out of a tank. The only person I know with a P5 is getting about 8 minutes in a truggy. I ordered the +4C for a few reasons. It's plenty fast enough and wicked fast would only hurt my lap times. I'm more than willing to sacrifice a little power for extended run times. I'm by no means an expert so I felt that the smooth power delivery of the +4 would benifit me more.

As far as price, there's not much difference between the 2. The way I looked at it was the P5 was the cheapest. But I run turbo plugs so there's another $30 for a turbo button. Then it doesn't come with the carb inserts, that probably another $15. Now you're at the same price as the +4C and it comes with all those little things. Look in the Houston Engine Services thread, the Novarossi thread, and the +4 thread. Way more information in those than most people care to digest. I pretty well skimmed through all of them in the last month or 2 and that really helped with my decision.
pickle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have a p5 and love it's reliability I have over 3 gallons on it and there was 2 already on it when I got it and I still can't turn it over when it's in the car. Also it tunes like a dream and holds it's tune. Power with my jp1 is ok on bottom mid and top but isn't extreme, when I water the track the engine seems slow on bottom and lags a bit but when it's dry and slippery it's hands down the best engine I have. I also just realized last night when cleaning it up it says Jim hott??? I couldn't figure out the full last name just hott then like 3 more letter. I think it may have been either modded or broken in by him but if I was gettin another nova it would be thrue Monty Houston as his prices r cheap as hell and he is a great guy and helped me out.
Matt Piva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't have P5, but I have both toro nero and plus 4. I use Plus 4 in buggy and toro nero in truggy. I was also considering P5 at the moment I purchased toro nero. I know they are at different price point. But, if you have a truggy, you might want to consider toro nero, too.

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....5b504d84207e52
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
I have a p5 and love it's reliability I have over 3 gallons on it and there was 2 already on it when I got it and I still can't turn it over when it's in the car. Also it tunes like a dream and holds it's tune. Power with my jp1 is ok on bottom mid and top but isn't extreme, when I water the track the engine seems slow on bottom and lags a bit but when it's dry and slippery it's hands down the best engine I have. I also just realized last night when cleaning it up it says Jim hott??? I couldn't figure out the full last name just hott then like 3 more letter. I think it may have been either modded or broken in by him but if I was gettin another nova it would be thrue Monty Houston as his prices r cheap as hell and he is a great guy and helped me out.

If it says "Jim Hott" on it, it was modded. Jim and Chris sign all of the engines that they mod.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default p-5

Best engine I've ever owned, and I've run a few.....
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They both are great engines but, I personally think the 21-4 is a little faster and gets better run time.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

p5s are very very reliable and hold a tune forever!A freind tuned mine at the nitrofest/preworlds in 2008 and I havent touched the needles since and it runs awsome everytime I start it up no joke!!
bcr500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hello,

i have both and i still run both of them, i got the Plus4 2009 tuned when it first came out, been running it since with no issues and the performance is great, few monthes ago, i got a P5XLT from (Monty) housten engine services and put it on my buggy to decide which one i like better, am racing the P5 now on my buggy, better engine all around but consumes more fuel than the plus4, i know am getting another P5 from Monty for this year's WC in Pattaya.

P5 is easier to tune and very reliable, just change the front bearing to a 17011 and you are good to go.

cheers

Ali
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote