Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new nitro advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool new nitro advice

hi guys! I'm in the market for a new nitro buggy and so far my choices are the O'Donnell Z01 b team edition and the RC8 B Factory Team edition.I talked to a guy at my local track about my interest in nitro buggies and he told me that i should get a Losi 8ight 2.0 and that it was the best buggy out now.I also told him my choice of nitro engines(O'Donnell SS .21 and the Reedy .21)and he said" don't bother, get an OS Vspec .21, its the best and easy to tune" but he drives a Mugen with an OS. With that said, I would really like you guys opinion on this to lead me in the right direction because this will be my first nitro out of 7 electric rides. BTW both cars and both engines of my choice has had really good reviews,even on this site.your help and opinions are appreciated
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

There are a ton of threads on this. Both of the ones you listed are good buggies. I would honestly pick one that you can find parts for local, have other local racers run the same buggy.

As for engines, I agree the 2 you listed you could do much better for the money. There are also a ton of engines available that are great. The V Spec is a great engine, but I honestly believe again for the money you could do better. The Alpha engines, Werks B5, Powerhouse modded N21R are all awesome and right around the 200 buck range
Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

all new crop of BRAND NAME bugies will do you good, I recommend getting the one you can get support for, Mugen and Kyosho are the ones with the most wins world wide and at international level, X-Ray, AE and Losi are the new comers (been around for less than 5 years in the 1/8) to the game but really good race kits, they all have strong points and weak points
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My opinion.....

I would stay away from Losi, hotbodies, OS and Reedy engines. On the positive the 808 is my buggy of choice, but there are several great buggies, but the mugen and the xray are probably the two best in my opinion. As for engines, it depends on your skill level. If you are really new to rc then get a Novarossi BF,reliable/140bucks. If you got some skills then get a nova p5=punch/reliability, a plus 4=runtime/smooth, toro nero=smooth/fast or an alpha red head=200Bucks/freakin fast.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey Radio 1, the Odonnell is a great choice. I do agree with some of the others as far as parts availability but,you know your area better than any of us. Its simple,straight forward design with proven durability. I run a 2.0 but, I've ran losi since the jrx2....showing my age!
If you can find Corey Johnson on here somewhere he can tell you all about the Odonnell. He's a team driver for them and a great young man ontop of that.
I love the novarossi p5 myself. Had a few of them but, I ran a Force21 pro at the Psycho Nitro Blast in Atlanta this month and fell in love with it....smooth,predictable and FAST. Easy break in and tune....under 200! So...its really your choice...have fun!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default Kyosho

I'm a newbie too and just got a Kyosho DBX a couple weeks ago. Maybe you're looking at a higher price point, but for the cash this car has been a lot of fun ($220 complete at amainhobbies.com). My advice is before you buy, make sure parts are available and are not that expensive, you will be breaking stuff. The DBX has been holding up great, except when I run it into things (did I mention I am a newbie?). Tree trunks and fence posts seem to be the most deadly, they dont' give one bit. I've since found that Kyosho parts are readily available and not that expensive, and when the hobby shop doesn't have it you can buy directly from Kyosho. Other brands might be similar. Check the prices of things like suspension arms (I've broken 2), shocks (I bent one), and I hear clutches and gears eventually wear out with use. Also get a metered glow ignitor and pick up an extra glow plug. Fuel goes faster than you might think, buy a gallon not a quart. If you get a ready-to-run type car, double check that all the bolts you can reach are actually tightened correctly. I hope this helps!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by off road god
Hey Radio 1, the Odonnell is a great choice. I do agree with some of the others as far as parts availability but,you know your area better than any of us. Its simple,straight forward design with proven durability. I run a 2.0 but, I've ran losi since the jrx2....showing my age!
If you can find Corey Johnson on here somewhere he can tell you all about the Odonnell. He's a team driver for them and a great young man ontop of that.
I love the novarossi p5 myself. Had a few of them but, I ran a Force21 pro at the Psycho Nitro Blast in Atlanta this month and fell in love with it....smooth,predictable and FAST. Easy break in and tune....under 200! So...its really your choice...have fun!
Hey off road G! thanks for replying. Well , I have been looking at the OD buggy since september and since i order most of my RC stuff from Tower, Amain, and stormer hobbies,Parts are not a problem since they carry all of the OD buggy parts. However, my local track does'nt,but they do carry AE, Losi, Mugen ect.May be I could order spare parts of the ones that brake more frequently.As far as engines are concern, I'm new to nitro but old to electric RC's.how about an OD ss in a OD buggy with a standard header and a JP3 pipe? And,is this engine easy to tune? Hell, i may have to do my research on the Novarossi engines because you sure do make it sound good with a good price point! Thanks again!!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default novarossi

Originally Posted by merdith6
I would stay away from Losi, hotbodies, OS and Reedy engines. On the positive the 808 is my buggy of choice, but there are several great buggies, but the mugen and the xray are probably the two best in my opinion. As for engines, it depends on your skill level. If you are really new to rc then get a Novarossi BF,reliable/140bucks. If you got some skills then get a nova p5=punch/reliability, a plus 4=runtime/smooth, toro nero=smooth/fast or an alpha red head=200Bucks/freakin fast.
Thanks Merdith! I haven't researched the Xray buggy yet,but i will. Are parts easy to find for the Xray? I do love your reply on the Novarossi engines. Now i have more research to do.Thank you for the insight!!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by boomgagem
There are a ton of threads on this. Both of the ones you listed are good buggies. I would honestly pick one that you can find parts for local, have other local racers run the same buggy.

As for engines, I agree the 2 you listed you could do much better for the money. There are also a ton of engines available that are great. The V Spec is a great engine, but I honestly believe again for the money you could do better. The Alpha engines, Werks B5, Powerhouse modded N21R are all awesome and right around the 200 buck range
Thanks Boomgagem! I wanted to run something different from the other guys at my local track. They mostly run AE,Mugen,and Losi. And with the engines you listed,i now have more homework to do.LOL! Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by radio1
hi guys! I'm in the market for a new nitro buggy and so far my choices are the O'Donnell Z01 b team edition and the RC8 B Factory Team edition.I talked to a guy at my local track about my interest in nitro buggies and he told me that i should get a Losi 8ight 2.0 and that it was the best buggy out now.I also told him my choice of nitro engines(O'Donnell SS .21 and the Reedy .21)and he said" don't bother, get an OS Vspec .21, its the best and easy to tune" but he drives a Mugen with an OS. With that said, I would really like you guys opinion on this to lead me in the right direction because this will be my first nitro out of 7 electric rides. BTW both cars and both engines of my choice has had really good reviews,even on this site.your help and opinions are appreciated
Get a Xray Xb808 or Mugen Seiki Mbx-6= best buggys out in my opinion and many others!

Also best engines out are the o.s. .21 vzb v-spec or the ninja its $50 more but is a o.s. vzb but with some better features!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (98%+)

the best decision would be to get what you personally like. they are all great buggys.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No offense but Im soooooo tired of this. There are 27,000 threads on this very topic and they all have the exact same argument.

Where I stand is -I drive a Losi 8T 2.0. I love my truck. I run OS Vspecs and dont know what Imma do next year cause I have ran those for a while. Now I will say the V-spec is gone. They do not make them anymore so I would look at the Alpha or Ninja JX, because there power curve is similar.

But you can get all the advice in the world, get what you want, cant go wrong with any quality kit and engine.

Last edited by geejay; 03-23-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by geejay
No offense but Im soooooo tired of this. There are 27,000 threads on this very topic and they all have the exact same argument.

Where I stand is -I drive a Losi 8T 2.0. I love my truck. I run OS Vspecs and dont know what Imma do next year cause I have ran those for a while. Now I will say the V-spec is gone. They do not make them anymore so I would look at the Alpha or Ninja JX.

But you can get all the advice in the world, get what you want, cant go wrong with any quality kit and engine.
thanks for the reply Geejay, no offense taken since its not an argument. I just want an opinion on the 2 buggies and 2 engines that i was looking into and any other opinions that might help me in my choice since i only know a little about nitros. Everyone has been a huge help,especially those who mentioned engines that i knew nothing of and their good price points.I dont want to mess up a $500 engine because of lack of experience with nitros.But, I do know that i want a buggy to compete with at my local track and something different from the norm. And that's why i like the OD buggy. Its a good durable buggy with lots of good reviews and not a ton of people run it.But i still have homework to do on my choice of engines and pipes since there are way more choices than i really knew about(Alpha and ninja JX).Again, thanks Geejay for you input on this subject.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by losi8ight832
the best decision would be to get what you personally like. they are all great buggys.
Thanks Losi8ight832,that'
s definitely some great advise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.